[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 8 KB, 175x255, sea wolf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4374630 No.4374630 [Reply] [Original]

Just finished this after getting it recommended in a nautical thread last week. I really enjoyed it.

To whomever recommended it, thank you.

Anyway, what are /lit/'s thoughts on Jack London?

>> No.4374656

I thought The Call of the Wild was meh, The Star Rover was kind of bad. I'm not a huge fan, and probably won't be reading any more of his works.

>> No.4374662

>>4374630
he was a fucking plagiarist

>> No.4375062

bump

>> No.4375072

>>4374656
What ho, plebeian?

>> No.4375095

When reading Jack London the main thing to remember is that much of his work, particularly the "advernture" novellas/stories, were written simply as a means of making a living through writing. He'd worked his ass off doing a bunch of shitty jobs and therefore wrote a bunch of shitty stories to make money.

Also, his work can be separated into different themes:

1. Adventure: magazine stories

2. Philosophical Adventure: Call of the Wild, White Fang, Seawolf, To Build a Fire, Batard

3. Sci-fi: The Shadow and the Flash, etc

4. Non-Fiction Political: Essays, The Road, People of the Abyss

5. Fictional Political: The Iron Heel

6. Roman a Clef (semi-auto_bio): Martin Eden, John Barleycorn (plus some sailing novellas/stories0

>> No.4375169

>>4374630
>To whomever recommended it, thank you.
You're welcome! I was the one who recommended it and Cruise of the Dazzler. It's been about 8 years since I read either, and Sea-Wolf is definitely the better of the two, but Dazzler is pretty short.

>>4375095
This is accurate. London has a few great works that stand the test of time, but the majority of his work (and holy shit there's a lot of it) isn't anything special.

>> No.4375303

>>4375169
>You're welcome! I was the one who recommended it and Cruise of the Dazzler. It's been about 8 years since I read either, and Sea-Wolf is definitely the better of the two, but Dazzler is pretty short.
Oh, thanks again! I'm reading Homage to Catalonia next, then an attempt on Moby Dick, and then I'll be reading Cruise of the Dazzler.