[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 680 KB, 2550x3300, m1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4358197 No.4358197[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hey guys.

I have a chance to write for an RPG. I need to do a writing sample to prove I can string sentences together in an interesting way and I plan to do an all-nighter to bash the thing into some shape suitable for editing when I wake up.

I could use some advice. The prompt I'm working off is "The diary entries of a girl that developed superpowers during a near-fatal accident" and it needs to be less than twenty pages.

Is there anything you can tell me that'll make this more likely to not be an abomination?

Pic slightly related, and also interesting.

>> No.4358201

PnP or video game?

>> No.4358206

>>4358201
PnP.

>> No.4358213

What powers are you shooting for? Invulnerability is always a good "sad" power since you can make it like she can't feel anything anymore. You can milk more than enough from that and some drama shit to string it all together. Are they a hero or just some random that's secretly dealing with powers?

>> No.4358217

>>4358213
It's a universe where superpowers are "normal." She got in a car accident and now she can fly and make an energy shield.

>> No.4358219

Image relates to this
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Free_Council
in case anyone else is interested

>> No.4358226

>>4358217
What sort of world are we talking here? fantasy? based on earth? time period? history?

>> No.4358230

>>4358217
I get why being in a car accident can make you spontaneously have a shield power, but I don't get where flight comes in, unless it wasn't really up to you. Did the powers show up at the event or afterwards like an adaptation to make sure it never happens again?

>> No.4358232

>>4358226
Modern earth.

>>4358230
She hit a patch of black ice and drove off a highway rail.

>> No.4358235

>>4358232
What about the second part?

>> No.4358247

>>4358235
At the event. She flies out of the car with her shield projected, then the cops find her to take her to a superhuman clinic.

>> No.4358256

How old is the girl? I assume she's at least 16 since she was driving a car, but it matters.

>> No.4358260

>>4358256
Early twenties.

>> No.4358285

So what exactly are you asking for? It seems like you have more than enough information to write at least 20 pages. Just plot out what you want to do. Make an outline about the points you want to make and what you want to cover and then fill in the details.

>> No.4358339

I think the most important thing you need to consider is the character of the girl. She needs to be the right level of intelligence, and most importantly overall likeable. Too stupid and too smart are both instant turnoffs, and you need to pitch her language right. It's also probably wise to make her seem reasonably flawed and human, with relatable worries.

Considering it's a diary, her worries are probably quite important. Nothing is more annoying than when a character let's this sort of thing happen to them and then just moves on. You're always sitting there thinking "I would have so many *questions*, why is this bitch going to the store like nothing's happened?" Although of course you can go too far with that as well.

And I guess you also have to consider what exactly your plot is, since you haven't mentioned that at all. What happens? How does it end? I can't work without an ending.

Anyway, general thoughts from me, good luck OP

>> No.4358407

>>4358217
>Not turn into a car and fly and make an energy shield

Shitpower/10

>> No.4358759

With all due respect OP, those are pretty boring powers.

Did you choose her abilities or were they already defined for you?

If you have any leeway in that choice I would suggest at least attempting to give her some sort of interesting power instead of those overused ones. Half of the fun of reading a superpower related story is thinking of ramifications of the heros power, what you speculate he will be able to do and what you would have done in the hero/author's place.

but that's just my 2 cents.

>> No.4359025

>>4358759
Plus it's an RPG, so half the fun of making your character is coming up with powers or combining shit to make something new or a new spin on something old. I know the last time I played Mutants & Masterminds I made an old pulpy hero with a ray gun but he had a parasite in his brain that was psychic but sentient unto itself. It didn't necessarily give my character psychic abilities so I had to do a 50/50 chance role to see if it would tell me what it read from another person

>> No.4360418

When you're done, I'd be interested to read what you wrote. That is, if you don't mind sharing it, or if you even can.

>> No.4361470

>>4360418

Me too.

>> No.4361961

"People say that getting superpowers is like going through puberty, or being transformed like a pumpkin in a fairy tale turning into a coach. Maybe for some it is like that.
For me it happened quickly, and it was like waking from a dream where you're paralyzed and realizing you can actually move and speak and touch. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Here's what happened:
I came out of the curve moving too fast and paying too little attention, I know that. I had hands at ten and two, seat belt firmly in place, and eyes straight out in front staring at the road. But breaking up with barry and trying to get ready for my new job was filing my mind with enough distraction that i might as well have been texting and eating a Big Mac.
People say things come out of nowhere, but not in my case. The sparkle of the ice on the road just past the curve was obvious, and the chill that drops into your gut when you know you can't miss it, know that it's too late to change anything and you see the rusted, twisted rails and the three tiny crosses sliding toward your passenger window as the car you're driving slews and jerks and the wheel comes to life in your hands, and the car stops responding....

And then the screech and the noise and the motion were just gone. The clock in my head slowed down som how, and the windshield bulging inward to ward me became like a slowly growing buble on a flat lake, full of spiderwebbing cracks. I put out my hand to protect myself, and....

>> No.4361965

>>4361961
Well, it's like a tiny voice in my mind said: "Why don't you just.....?" and there was no word, but i knew, and was full of wonder why it had never occured to me before, like in a dream when you can just move through things and climb dn lift heavy objects and you wonder why you never just did it all the time?

So I did it: I made a bubble, a pale shining lavender globe spread out from my body, and the car, the kept going, spreading out and breaking to let the bubble escape and then hurling itself over the edge of the cliff face in fiery ruins but I, in my bubble of light just hung there over the empty road. I thought what i should do, and then it occured to me to just turn the bubble off. I felt a twinge that it might not be the right thing, but I was too confused to consider. Then The bubble was gone, and I was hurtling through the air, with the same speed Ihad when i was driving.
I say a massive trunk coming toward me through the dark and i moved to miss it. Moved, yes, and began to slow myself, and again time slowed down and i was back in the lavender glow, only now it surrounded me like an aura, and there was no bubble. I mved past the tree, shedding speed and rising. Rising! I was flying! the awe of it, the miraculous understanding that i could do this anytime! Like a baby taking its first steps knowing how much of the world was opening to it now! But then like a baby, i made a mistake, and dropped the speed too fast, till i was actually moving backward into the very tree i had dodged. I remember trying to correct, overcorrecting, just like trying to maneuver the car on the slick ice, and smacking into the trees in front of me at what they now tell me was nine hundred miles and hour. The sonic boom is what brought the authorities, and they found me in the snow and broken branches at the end of a half-mile divot, still sparkling faintly lavender. At least that's what they tell me. I didn't know anything until I woke up here. ...."

>> No.4362410

For some reference of a race where having superpowers is a right of passage and like a puberty, I would suggest reading some Inhumans shit, specifically the Paul Jenkins/Jae Lee one. You might already know this, but it's about a race of people that are an offshoot of the Kree race who give themselves powers at a certain age by way of the Terrigen mists which mutates them. It might help you out a little bit. Not saying steal anything, but it can give you some ideas