[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 284 KB, 1161x869, lepatricianface.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4318509 No.4318509 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/, I need recommendations.

I'm looking for crime/noir novels that are akin to the Coen brothers' movies, Elmore Leonard, Jim Thompson, etc. I've read the 'big ones' like Chandler, Hammett and MacDonald, but now I'm looking for more 'modern' stuff.

I'm also interested in western books, particularly westerns in the vein of Blood Meridian and Warlock. I've read the more lightweight, slightly corny stuff like Louis L'Amour and Zane Grey. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

>> No.4318513

classic image

>> No.4318523

>>4318513
I know, rite? A true intellectual, the women want to be with him and the men want to be him.

>> No.4318613

>>4318509
Butcher's Mill is a good western.

>> No.4319284

Denis Lehane's Kenzie and Gennaro novels are Coen-esque, if by Coen-esque you mean Miller's Crossing/Blood Simple and not Big Lebowski

Also if you're not totally done with the old authors try Cain and Goodis.

>> No.4319297

that bread crust.

>> No.4319952

I feel like the kid in that pic is trying to be Henry Winter from The Secret History.

>> No.4320001

Given that your point of reference is the Coen Brothers, this is probably obvious, but have you read Charles Portis' books? He's a fantastic writer, both True Grit and his other works.