[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 42 KB, 500x376, spongebob_essay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4304962 No.4304962[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What do you do about writer's block, /lit/? What helps you jump start your creativity?

>> No.4304976

I lube up. I find that my pretense and perfectionism recedes when I have a fat dildo in my rectum.

>> No.4304978

Exercise helps. So does a glass of scotch. Seriously, a little alcohol has been shown to improve creativity.

If you find yourself sitting and staring at a blank page, sure of what you want to say but not of how you want to say it, the best thing you can do is just start writing. Write anything. It doesn't have to be good, as long as it conveys what you're trying to get across. Rewrites will come later. Just scribble something out and you'll pick up some steam as you go. The worst thing a writer can do is expect himself to write something perfect the first time. You'll paralyze yourself that way.

If you're stuck at a point where you don't know what should come next, don't be afraid to go off on a wild tangent. You know you won't keep it, but it might generate some ideas. And if all else fails, just walk away for a little while. Sleep on it. Sometimes you just need a break.

>> No.4304981

ITT: Teenagers with no life experience and nothing to say pretend they have writer's block.

>> No.4304988

>>4304962
Read some shit. Watch some shit. Go outside and see or hear some shit.

>> No.4304999

>>4304981
If taking a big dong up the ass isn't life experience then I don't know what is.

>> No.4305000

I never usually get writer's block, but I am testing the waters with a creative nonfiction piece and it's incredibly difficult to keep it focused.

>> No.4305002

>>4304997

>> No.4305021

>>4304981
>muh new sincerity

>> No.4305031

>>4305021
Explain this (seemingly) non sequitur.

>> No.4305145

If it's writer's block on my novella, I just start writing something else, usually poetry. Starting my novella has actually been pretty great for my poetry.

>> No.4305174

I've yet to pass the writer's starting block. Been accumulating ideas for a novel (or more, depending on how I want to split it) for the past few years. But the timeline isn't exactly set and I have a bunch of plot points I want to hit, but I'm afraid it'll end up being some shallow nonsense because the characters themselves aren't very developed.
Anything I can do to fix this? I want to flesh the characters out and begin writing already!

>> No.4305218

Just write. Even if it's a fragment or a paragraph or one scene, write something. Force yourself to even if it is shit and you don't like it. Writer's block is just perfectionism paralysing.

>> No.4305489

>>4305174
If you want to develop the characters and get a feel for them, invent situations to stick them in. It could be anything -- sitting in a movie while a baby is crying, standing outside a bar when a woman gets mugged, etc. Just create a situation, put them in it, and see how they react. Learn how they think. Find what traits define them. When you're getting to know them, put them all together. See how they get along. Write a short little adventure for them that has nothing to do with the story you're working on. Eventually they'll start to feel like real people to you. Once you're ready to work on your real story, you'll find that they basically write themselves.

>> No.4305503

How to write multiples characters, with distinct voices, and create insteresting dialogue exchanges between them? I can only write about myself talking with myself.

>> No.4305550

>>4305503
Start by writing imaginary conversations between you and people you know. Write them how you think those people would most likely respond, given what you know about them.

>> No.4305591

(1) Get drunk.
(2) Go on walk.

Can be done either separately or together

>> No.4306061

>>4304976
>>4304999
Arsemind

>> No.4306422

I usually just wait until I get a new idea. I usually daydream alot while I'm in class or something, usually about things that will never happen and wondering what the people around me are. And usually every few weeks or days an idea just stumbles across my mind and I write it down. Usually it happens during a quiet class where no ones talking.

>> No.4306529

>>4305591
This works wonders for me, especially walking home drunk from wherever I was

My mind goes into writing over-drive

The only problem is I never seem to keep the momentum when I get home and actually try and write

>> No.4308366

Listen to non-lyrical music. Write down what you imagine as actions corresponding to the music. When I wanted to write a fable about the moon, I went outside, put on Brahms' Requiem, and when I went back inside I wrote ~10 pages about a character who offers his soul to the moon. Literally 100% effective (unless you listen to eurotrash or wubstep).

>> No.4308385

>>4305591
This works wonders, but I don't start writing until after I get rid of the hang over.

>> No.4308386

It doesn't exist. Only poor writers speak of a writer's block.

>> No.4308835
File: 307 KB, 700x1096, writer's block.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4308904

>>4304962
>>4308366

Yeah man, classical is an excellent creative jump start. Really, you need to try it.