[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.49 MB, 230x172, 1379964075331.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4292738 No.4292738[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What if jesus had lived in a society that allowed freedom of speech and belief?

His role as a pariah requires intolerance in order to be played out- man's own salvation comes from the very hubris that condemns Jesus.

This has two implications- the first being that it means we should embrace our own vanity and greed, as we are incapable of reaching salvation through our own conscious deliberation. Instead we can only activate the condition of the possibility of salvation through an excess of sin, the crucifixion is only possible as an expression of this excess.

The second being that evil creates the possibility of salvation. That is, if everyone who encountered him immediately accepted christ as savior or was indifferent there would be no passion, no movement that reunites the body of christ with god that completes the trinity. Meaning that judas is possibly the greatest of all the disciples because he commits the evil act that enables the ultimate redemption of mankind.

>> No.4292753

>>4292738
>the first being that it means we should embrace our own vanity and greed, as we are incapable of reaching salvation through our own conscious deliberation.

if you think about it, realizing the you are incapable of creating or reaching salvation on your own and embracing your human weaknesses is in itself a form of humility that defers your own autonomy as a sign of inferiority to an ultimate being

>> No.4292774

If I put on my Theologian hat for a moment, I'd say:

Original Sin stems from the failing of the human heart. Wicked societies are a consequence of Original Sin.

Without Original Sin, there is no wicked society of men which must be redeemed by God.

The next question here is: can a wicked society tolerate the presence of the divine? Insofar as wickedness is the opposite of divinity, I think it's clear that Christ would have been persecuted in any sinful society.

So I think it makes sense. Man's sin is both the necessary condition for Salvation and also the sufficient condition for the persecution of Christ.

>> No.4292783

If Jesus hadn't won out, Epicureanism would have. Manicheanism would have come along under a different name. Buddhism would have become increasingly appealing for the downtrodden.

Something would have replaced him.

>> No.4292790

As far as Christian saints go Jesus is pretty overrated, I give him an 8/10 at best. People only like him because he was crucified.

>> No.4292795

>>4292783

That conjecture is almost as baseless as it is useless.

>> No.4292818

Suffering is an essential part of faith. We need evil to make what is good special and genuine.

>> No.4292909

>>4292790
yep, he's really only famous because of who his dad is

>> No.4293415

>>4292738
>His role as a pariah requires intolerance in order to be played out- man's own salvation comes from the very hubris that condemns Jesus.
he just needs poor people, poor people still get sick and starve even with freedom of speech and belief