[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 24 KB, 303x450, tsatf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
428457 No.428457 [Reply] [Original]

Let's get some favorite quotes up in this piece.

>One day you'd think misfortune would get tired, but then time is your misfortune Father said. A gull on an invisible wire attached through space dragged. You carry the symbol of your frustration into eternity. Then the wings are bigger Father said only who can play a harp.

>If it could just be a hell beyond that: the clean flame the two of us more than dead. Then you will have only me then only me then the two of us amid the pointing and the horror beyond the clean flame... Only you and me then amid the pointing and the horror walled by the clean flame.

>dont cry poor Quentin
>but I couldnt stop she held my head against her damp hard breast I could her heart going firm and slow not not hammering and the water gurgling among the willows in the dark and waves of honeysuckle coming up the air my arm and shoulder were twisted under me

>> No.428481
File: 47 KB, 300x457, brave-new-world-book.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>"But, Linda!" The Savage spoke imploringly. "Don't you know me?" The had tried so hard, had done his very best; why wouldn't she allow him to forget? He squeezed her limp hard almost with violence, as though he would force her to come back from this dream of ignoble pleasures, from these base and hateful memories--back into the present, back into reality; the appalling present, the awful reality--but sublime, but significant, but desperately important precisely because of the imminence of what which made them so fearful. "Don't you know me, Linda?"

>The Savage nodded, frowning. "You got rid of them. Yes, that's just like you. Getting rid of everything unpleasant instead of learning to put up with it. Whether 'tis better in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them... But you don't do either. Neither suffer nor oppose. You just abolish the slings and arrows. It's too easy."

>> No.428498

>When I was nineteen, pureness was the great issue. Instead of the world being divided up into Catholics and Protestants or Republicans and Democrats or white men and black men or even men and women, I saw the world divided into people who had slept with somebody and people who hadn’t, and this seemed the only really significant difference between one person and another. I thought a spectacular change would come over me the day I crossed the boundary line.

>To the person in the bell jar, blank and stopped as a dead baby, the world itself is the bad dream.

>The only thing I was good at was winning scholarships and that era was coming to an end. I felt like a racehorse in a world without racetracks or a champion college footballer suddenly confronted by Wall Street and a business suit, his days of glory shrunk to a little gold cup on his mantel with a date engraved on it like the date on a tombstone.

>> No.428537

>>428457

Had to read those three times to figure out if i was skipping words.

That's definitely the sound and the fury -.-

>> No.428566

>And I too felt ready to live my life again. As if this great outburst of anger had purged all my ills, killed all my hopes, I looked up into the mass of signs and stars in the night sky and laid myself open for the first time to the benign indifference of the world. And finding it so much like myself, in fact so fraternal, I realized that I'd been happy, and that I was still happy. For the final consummation and for me to feel less lonely, my last wish was that there should be a crowd of spectators at my execution and that they should greet me with cries of hatred.

>> No.429315

"The elders were wise, for they had learned that every sin causes fresh sin, every wrong carries another in its train"- House of Atreous