[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 98 KB, 402x402, William-Shakespeare-194895-1-402.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4267443 No.4267443[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I understand that what sells today is young-adult literature. But what is that exactly? The only big novels I can remember recently are the Harry Potter books, Hunger Games books, and Twilight books. Are there any other hugely popular books I am missing, and what is coming next?

>> No.4267450

Murakami

It's just weird kitsch shit that reflects the combined banality and self-importance of youth. Make a character who is basically just a twenty year old, exaggerate some tryhard shit that twenty year olds do like tattoos and piercings and alternative media tastes, make them a quirky genius with interesting background and motivations instead of a turd from suburbia, and throw them into any setting.

Works especially well with women since they are incapable of pathos and reading things like Dostoevsky. They get attached to any shallow emotional shit and fall in love with cardboard cutouts of characters.

>> No.4267465

Erotica, thrillers, non-fiction

>> No.4267482

>>4267443

YA? The Divergent series by Veronica Roth is pretty popular - it's getting it's own movie. Then there's Vampire Academy (lel - ancient Russian vampire high school in the middle of modern-day Amurrica), it's also getting a movie. Cassandra Clare seems to enjoy popularity too through her Mortal Instruments crap. And for some reason John Green creams all the panties, though I can't understand why.

>> No.4267497

>>4267482
>And for some reason John Green creams all the panties, though I can't understand why
John Green is admirable because he can be reasonably deep and also very accessible to a young audience. Personally I can't stand his books (his writing style really grates on me) but I respect what he's doing.

>> No.4267508

But surely the only thing anyone on /lit/ will ever amount to is a semi successful YA writer, right?
Don't attack your future careers, people.
Soon you'll be asking questions on daytime TV like "but what is good literature?" and "Isn't the important thing that we enjoy ourselves?"

>> No.4267509

>>4267450
Is he... any good as a writer? He looks like a mid-brow author which I don't mind as long as he's entertaining. I've looked up his books and they all seem really boring.

>> No.4267544

>>4267509
It depends on what you're into. The other poster is right, he's not deep or particularly clever, but his books have this really cool dreamlike atmosphere that you either dig or you don't, decent plots, and relatable (if simplistic) characters. He's a not a great author but he's definitely a decent one.

>> No.4267615

>>4267450
best discription of YA

>> No.4268067

>>4267443

I don't pay much attention to current books, but the one thing I do know is that no one knows what the next big popular book will be. They know it'll be easy and accessible, it'll probably appeal to women, but in general no one has any clue.