[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 91 KB, 412x700, untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
424952 No.424952 [Reply] [Original]

The Giver, alt. plot interpretation:

A boy who does not have many noteworthy friends (and may therefore be a loner) is selected from his elementary school grad class by a politically powerful, but otherwise lonely old man. 'The Giver' conducts 'lessons' with 'The Receiver" in complete, unrecorded privacy and forbids him from telling anybody about them. He is told that he can't run away, otherwise something absoutely ridiculous will happen, and hurt everybody he knows (essentially, they will all experience 'lessons'). The lessons themselves arouse incredibly vivid and intense hallucination sequences, many of which are so excruciating that 'The Receiver' requires pain-relief meds afterwards. As the novel progresses, he becomes more and more distant from his friends and family.

Eventually, 'The Giver' makes a plan to get the youth 'Elsewhere', but the boy is forced to take his baby brother and get him the fuck out before his dad kills the infant. In the wild, he imitates 'giving' on his little brother over and over until it stops feeling good. They freeze to death, probably nowhere near a hill.

>> No.424990

So.... Molestation?

>> No.424996

>>424990
Your words, not mine.

>> No.425742

I'm bumping this thread once and only once.
bump

>> No.425749

i dont remember that book but molestation theories are always fun

>> No.425755

>>424952
Sounds like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

>> No.425816

glad im not the only one who picked this up.

>> No.425845
File: 176 KB, 922x692, 31415926535.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>In the wild, he imitates 'giving' on his little brother over and over until it stops feeling good

What? You're making stuff up here. Until it stops feeling good?

>> No.425849

>>425845
Jonas gives Gabriel memories of warmth until there are none left.

>> No.425859

People have been comparing The Giver and Anthem lately.

At least The Giver hid the fact that it was about anal sex.