[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 77 KB, 525x960, 1354736135901.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4240679 No.4240679[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

>List of unsolved problems in philosophy
Essentialism
Art objects
Gettier problem
Molyneux problem
Infinite regression
Münchhausen trilemma
Qualia
Moral luck
Moore's disbelief
Mathematical objects
Sorites paradox
Counterfactuals
Material implication
Mind-body problem
Cognition and AI
Hard problem of consciousness
Problem of induction
Demarcation problem
Realism

9.5/10 of those are already solved, why are they even there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsolved_problems_in_philosophy

>> No.4240805

>names himself "supermind"
>probably accumulates his wiki-knowledge on a daily basis to the point that he has deluded himself into thinking that he a thorough understanding of any of these problems
>almost certainly couldn't even refute any of the medieval arguments without googling for clues [and the right answers]
>posts a pic of zyzz and his faggot brother
>thinks a wiki article will give him the full list of the unsolved problems in philosophy
>actually believes the proposition "9.5/10 of those are already solved"

guess where your tripcode goes? straight into the fucking trash.

>> No.4240806

>>4240679
>9.5/10 of those are already solved, why are they even there.

Because philosophy is a professional occupation. By definition, they have to keep themselves occupied.

>> No.4240810

>>4240806
Please let us end this thread here.

>> No.4240811

Which problems have been solved (out of your posted list) and what are the solutions? You should be able to do this for at least 17 of the 19 you posted, but I'll settle for 10 since you might have been exaggerating even from your own perspective.

>> No.4240813

if you post in this thread with anything other than a saging post saying it's pointless to post in this thread then you're a subhuman

>> No.4240824

>>4240679
>Mind-body problem
I never got this one; I guess I'm just too dumb to the problem ...

>> No.4240833

>>4240824
*to see
Sometimes I think Freud was right

>> No.4240865

I don't even think Zeno's paradoxes have been completely solved, people have been working on them for 2.5 millenia.

I'd also love to know the solution for the problem of induction that isn't "Lol, it's the best we've got."

>> No.4240870
File: 50 KB, 635x854, Witt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4240679
>List of unsolved word games

FTFY, OP

>> No.4240872
File: 160 KB, 1321x900, Albert-Camus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

At least the biggest one (suicide) has already been solved.

>> No.4240873

>>4240679
>is basically listing all the topics in philosophy

>> No.4240915

>>4240865
>I don't even think Zeno's paradoxes have been completely solved, people have been working on them for 2.5 millenia.

This shit makes me incredibly angry. Zeno's paradox IS NOT A PARADOX. There is a scenario, and there is a proposed description of the scenario which is incapable of describing the entire timeline of the scenario, because it converges against the point where achilles overtakes the turtle. WHAT'S THE FUCKING PROBLEM? It's just a partial model of the scenario, nothing to be seen here, move along folks.

Pretty much the same is true for many of these 'problems'. The issue is not with them being solved or not, but what constitutes a problem and what constitutes a solution. Qualia are not a problem. Infinite regression is not a problem. Counterfactuals are not a problem. The only 'problem' that arises is a problem for a group of people who have unreasonable, idealistic and naive ideas about what language and truth are. They will try to make things work that are obviously bullshit (like propositions about the future having truth values without at the same time subsribing to determinism, I'm looking at you DFW and your dumb fucking B.A. thesis).

>> No.4240954

>>4240915
In order to savour my anger, I decided to go back and read some of the texts for these 'problems' on Wikipedia.

>essentialism

> Questions about organic form, its definition, and its role in art remain controversial. Generally, working artists accept some form of the concept of organic form, whereas philosophers have tended to regard it as vague and irrelevant.

That's not a fucking problem. 'People don't agree on something' DOES NOT BY ITSELF CONSTITUTE A PHILOSOPHICAL PROBLEM! Chocolate or vanilla? Oh wow, how problematic! Who could ever answer this?! So deep! wow. many philosophies. much shibe.

>> No.4240968

>>4240954

>wikipedia scholar

>> No.4240974

heh

>> No.4240986

People that don't believe in Essentialism / Platonic Realism don't exist, because people who don't aren't "people" as they reject the very idea/form of people/personhood. :^) :^) :^)

CHECKMATE. ATHEISTS.

>> No.4241009

The only thing that is more of a goldmine of mouthbreathing bullshit than the wikipedia article itself is the talk page. I like it.

>> No.4241017

>>4240954
>essentialism [...] not a fucking problem
>hasn't read Kripke
Your posts have been officially disregarded.

>> No.4241018
File: 45 KB, 516x399, 1383472101182.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4241009
>I am now aware that behind every great Wikipedia article is a talk page.

Stop the internet, I want to get off.

>> No.4241039

>>4240968
this thread is explicitly about philosophy as (mis)represented on wikipedia, you fuckwit.

>> No.4241051

>>4241017
again, see
>>4241039

This thread is about a wikipedia article, not about Kripke. If you are so hot btw., why don't you simply tell me what Kripke has to say, or are you intellectually incapable of summarizing something that you used to belittle others?

>> No.4241067

>>4241051
>tell me what Kripke has to say
>telling about the ideas of Kripke within a confirmed troll thread
Not happening, muchacho

>> No.4241100

>>4241018
Yeah, shit's crazy. It makes a nice read sometimes.

>> No.4241102

>list of unsolved problems in philosophy
Everything

>> No.4241107

does philosophy ever solve a problem the way a hard science does? this is how it is and it cannot be another way?

>> No.4241118

>>4241107
>4.003 Most of the propositions and questions to be found in philosophical works are not false but nonsensical. Consequently we cannot give any answer to questions of this kind, but can only point out that they are nonsensical. Most of the propositions and questions of philosophers arise from our failure to understand the logic of our language. (They belong to the same class as the question whether the good is more or less identical than the beautiful.) And it is not surprising that the deepest problems are in fact not problems at all.

>4.111 Philosophy is not one of the natural sciences. (The word "philosophy" must mean something whose place is above or below the natural sciences, not beside them.)
>4.112 Philosophy aims at the logical clarification of thoughts. Philosophy is not a body of doctrine but an activity. A philosophical work consists essentially of elucidations. Philosophy does not result in "philosophical propositions", but rather in the clarification of propositions. Without philosophy thoughts are, as it were, cloudy and indistinct: its task is to make them clear and to give them sharp boundaries.
>4.113 Philosophy sets limits to the much disputed sphere of natural science.
>4.114 It must set limits to what can be thought; and, in doing so, to what cannot be thought. It must set limits to what cannot be thought by working outwards through what can be thought.
>4.115 It will signify what cannot be said, by presenting clearly what can be said.

>> No.4241546

>>4240915
>DFW BA
Care to elaborate?

>> No.4241554

>>4240870
Interesting, I haven't seen this misuse /misunderstanding of Witt. terminology before.

>> No.4241571

QUESTION:
How someone determines a question is answered in philosophy?

>> No.4241633

>solved
Most of them are just naive assumptions and word plays.

It's like asking
>"what if a sun made of lava collided with a sun made of ice"
For someone uninitiated even in the most basic scientific concepts and facts, that sentence could make sense.
Or this.
>"what if an unstoppable object collided with an immovable object, what would happen?".

Which is nonsensical, because if in that universe there is an unstoppable object then there isn't really an immovable object, and vice versa.

Which really makes it a naive usage of language and logic.
Like a big portion of those in the list i assume are there because of historic (philosophical) importance, and they are unsolved as much as ImmovableUnstoppableObject question is unsolved.

>> No.4241654

>>4241633
>>"what if an unstoppable object collided with an immovable object, what would happen?".
>Which is nonsensical, because if in that universe there is an unstoppable object then there isn't really an immovable object, and vice versa.
But this is poorly argued. I can still imagine some objects obeying the law of "unstoppability" and others -- the law of "immovability". What makes you think you can't have both laws at the same time? I see no logical justification for why it couldn't be so.

>> No.4241679

>>4241654
Because even the concepts of unstoppability and immobility are pretty arbitrary.
Even the concept of 'object' is arbitrary in physics.

>> No.4241693

Philosophy answers questions?

>> No.4241948

>>4240872
But I just want to die...

>> No.4241997

>>4241948
Suicide is retarded if you don't have an immediate issue like insufferable physical pain while having a terminal disease.

Another reason people kill themselves is extreme depression (le DFW rope theory and hanging out), very low feelgood chemicals (serotonin dopamine etc).
Which means eat healthy, exercise etc if persists get appropriate neurotransmitter supplements/triggers.

Suicide in general is stupid, but you're gonna die anyways, you have infinite centuries in front of you that you will be dead, you might as well live the extra blimp of time you have in comparison to the ocean of time that exists and give fuck all while you're at it.

>> No.4242027

>>4241633
Unstoppable objects and immovable forces are about the same thing from different perspectives. However, deductively, the only possible outcome is that the objects pass through each other.

>> No.4242034

>>4242027
>Unstoppable objects and immovable forces are about the same thing from different perspectives.
Can you name some of these different perspectives?
>deductively, the only possible outcome is that the objects pass through each other.
How did you reach that conclusion?

>> No.4242327

>>4241997
You think people think reasonably in times of mental strain? Ha. You think you're so above it all don't you? Like you know how humans work absolutely and you can't see any other reason why humans do what they do and so you pass it off as being "retarded".

Well, if ever you enter a more imbalanced state of mind for whatever unforseen reason then make sure you try and remember your own damn advice.

>> No.4242364

>>4241997

Suicide is only retarded because you have had the subject stigmatized for you. Depending on society or culture it is less or more taboo.

Suicide is harmless and a personal choice. They aren't really cowards as life isn't a game or something with a set goal, just what you participate in.

No real argument about suicide can exist in a secular society. Even it hurts the family and friends is a selfish argument.

>> No.4242399

>>4242327
>>4242364

>y-you think you're so smart you think you're so above... you'l see...

Stop it man.
Most adults have been in situations actual or mental that would kill themselves no matter how serious or laughable it is for us.

That's beyond the point am making.
Hell, if you read the post carefully you'll see that i consider it as fully physical condition (in comparison to the classical view of mental instability of course) that can be stabilized with drugs and not something along the lines of "lel brah get yer shit together".

My argument is against this notion of "HUR I MUST HURRY UP AND KILL MYSELF LIFE SUCKS SO BAD".

Sure, i agree life is arbitrary but even so, you have a small time frame you can do all these arbitrary shit, you were non-existent for billions years and in a blink of a eye (that we call a life) you're gonna be non-existent for another infinite years to come.

>> No.4242411

>>4242399

Does anyone disagreeing with you bring out such insecurity?

Please.go back to /pol/ autist

>> No.4242419
File: 114 KB, 480x696, handwriting-virginia-woolf-10921544-600-870[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4242399

>Sure, i agree life is arbitrary but even so, you have a small time frame you can do all these arbitrary shit, you were non-existent for billions years and in a blink of a eye (that we call a life) you're gonna be non-existent for another infinite years to come

For some, the sooner the better.

(image text):

>Dearest,

>I feel certain I am going mad again. I feel we can’t go through another of those terrible times. And I shan’t recover this time. I begin to hear voices, and I can’t concentrate. So I am doing what seems the best thing to do. You have given me the greatest possible happiness. You have been in every way all that anyone could be. I don’t think two people could have been happier till this terrible disease came. I can’t fight any longer. I know that I am spoiling your life, that without me you could work. And you will I know. You see I can’t even write this properly. I can’t read. What I want to say is I owe all the happiness of my life to you. You have been entirely patient with me and incredibly good. I want to say that – everybody knows it. If anybody could have saved me it would have been you. Everything has gone from me but the certainty of your goodness. I can’t go on spoiling your life any longer.

>I don’t think two people could have been happier than we have been.

>> No.4242422

>>4242411
>go back anywhere
So what is your argument?

>> No.4242433

>>4242422

It's not an argument it is commentary and a question.

>I-I'll just hide m-my insecurity by petty condescending posts

>> No.4242447

>>4242419
Depression, no matter of the source can be fought with medicine and whatnot, in modern times.
Then again am not fully aware of her situation.

>>4242433
What am i insecure of?

>> No.4242474

>>4242447

Some people cant handle anyone disagreeing with them. Obviously you are one of them, hence your condescending projection that you opened with when two seperate people didn't agree with you.

You aren't that secure in your own opinions and it shows.

>greentext
>stereotyped reduction
>reducing an argument to HURR

The only point you made was "Sure, I agree..." Try more of that. However relativism is a shitty argument

Full plebeian

>> No.4242500

>>4242447

>Depression, no matter of the source can be fought with medicine and whatnot, in modern times.

That's an awfully complete assumption to make don't you think?

Especially since depression has been shown to be linked to not only physical 'mutations' within the body (i.e. enlarged/shrunken sections of the brain), but also with our very dna, down to something as fundamental as the regulation of our sleeping patterns.

>> No.4242529

>>4242474
I made a statement, some others disagreed and there was sort of a convo going on that is all.

>Some people cant handle anyone disagreeing with them. Obviously you are one of them
Maybe i am, sometimes i just like arguing or even questioning myself through others etc.

Thing is, why do you care so much to post all that, why are you so angry?
I feel that you're one insecure because you don't have anything to argue about, you just put energy on claiming how someone is insecure.
Also:
>full plebeian
Yeah kinda doesn't work when you shit on 4chan maymayss and then use one.

But joking aside though, why even waste your time with me?

>>4242500
I thought that's a given since almost everyone has different dna, everyone has different height, eye color, smell sense, insulin sensitivity, dendrite growth etc and obviously some will have different tolerance in certain neurotransmitters and whatnot.
Hence the medicine, drugs, treatments etc.

>> No.4242553

>>4242474
>being this upset over a tripfaggot
Are you preparing a suicide and hate others dissing suicide or someone close to you an'hero'd?

>> No.4242573
File: 225 KB, 707x1000, 1375248719388.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4242553

>> No.4242572

if you guys are so smart then prove induction is valid

>> No.4242578

>>4242474
Am still waiting for you bro and i'd like to hear your position on suicide.

>> No.4242588

>>4242500

Yeah but for instance, the discrepancy in the gene that regulates sleeping patterns was only discovered last year, and it's the first one of that sort to be found. You really think there's medicine and treatments that will deal with all forms of an illness that we don't even fully understand the mental, physical, and genetic symptoms and causes of yet?

>> No.4242589

>>4240679

Molyneux's Problem was more or less solved back in 2003, OP.

>> No.4242590

>>4242572
>prove is valid
First prove proving is valid right after you prove the validity of valid.

Top kek amritie.

(proper) Induction is pretty much empiricism which so far seems to generated the most reliable results (science) (and parentheses).

>> No.4242593

>>4242529
Ergo, if everyone is different genetically, not all treatments are effective for each individual and some might be completely ineffective

>> No.4242600

I see suicide as a sort of extreme surgery with extreme (and obvious) side effects to remove pain, in this case, the pain of depression from very awful life (dont forget thst sometimes people kill themselves because of mental conditions like schizoprenia or even stupidity).
I've been "fighting" my depression for 5 years now, every day teying to take suicide off my head. I don't stand out in anything, don't really have friends (let alone a gf, I'm the virginest man there ever was), even my family won't interact much with me. I've tried to change my situation over and over again, somehow I managed to become very smart (though still sucking at life), I'm fit, I'm not as shy as I used to be, know a lot of stuff, can talk about almost any subject, and still people don't give a fuck about me. I live in pain, and everyday I do something to try and make the pain go away, but it never leaves, I'm starting to give up hope because I've accomplished so much and nothing has changed (heck, I know for a fact that I'm smarter than 90% of the human population).
I will probably kill myself in my 30's if I keep living like this, I'm not retarded, but pain can't be tolerated for so long

>> No.4242606

Mind-body isn't philosophy, it's science.

>> No.4242608

>>4242600

got a dayjob bro?

>> No.4242613

>>4242589
But he's still making games.

>> No.4242636
File: 32 KB, 574x362, sofani.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4242593
Sure, that's why not everyone gets the same exact treatments and the same exact doses.
And if you're one of the few unlucky that you don't respond any treatment then you cope with it.
If it happens that you also don't respond to anti depressants which could help with coping with your illness then by all means you do whatever the fuck you wanna do, rape pillage suicide, up to you.

>>4242613
No matter the praise his games are boring to me.
>>4242606
what is philosophy?

>mfw captcha spells Lose On Rect Won
Pretty pathetic on how excited i am over this.

>> No.4242649

They forgot one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_games_as_an_art_form

>> No.4242708

>>4242636
So if I can do whatever I want to do, then why isn't suicide a viable option?

>> No.4242711

>>4242708
It isn't as long as you can do something about it.

>> No.4242744

>>4241067
confirmed for bullshit

>> No.4242747

>>4242636
What I meant is that it's not something that can be solved by conventional "philosophical" means. In fact, most of the problems in the OP's post would be better placed on /sci/

>> No.4242756

>>4242747
I know what you meant am simply asking you, what is philosophy?

>> No.4242759

how to solve a problem in philosophy:
1.solve it
2.someone comes and says he doesnt accept your solution
3.repeat ad infinitum

>> No.4242763

>>4242708
it is a viable option if you are a pussy

>> No.4242766

Someone please disprove solipsism.

Please.

>> No.4242770

>>4241997
>you might as well
and you might not. this really doesn't negate any value in suicide since you'll have centuries (by the way, the YOU is incorrect, but whatever) to not regret it

>> No.4242776

>>4242711
But isn't suicide "doing something about it"; even if it's a "pussy's way out", it's still a way out

>> No.4242780

>>4242766
>disprove
>in philosophy
lol

>> No.4242785

>>4242766
solipsism becomes irrelevant to the solopsist when they die or become senile/are in a coma

>> No.4242787

>>4242780
I know. I know. But solipsism disturbs the fuck out of me.

>> No.4242788

>>4242447
>Then again am not fully aware of her situation.
exactly. Just as you're not aware of the situation of depressed millions. Yet you make a categorical claim about suicide being in itself retarded and about a cookie cutter solution for each and every case, no matter the degree, no matter the variants

>> No.4242792

>>4242770
>negate value in suicide
What type of value are we talking here bud?

>YOU is wrong
where exactly.

>>4242788
Not at all.
I merely said that because depression wasn't the source of her..depression but some kind of disability.

>> No.4242796

>>4242776
no, suicide is the absolute "not doing anything at all,ever"

>> No.4242801

>>4242529
>I thought that's a given since almost everyone has different dna, everyone has different height, eye color, smell sense, insulin sensitivity, dendrite growth etc and obviously some will have different tolerance in certain neurotransmitters and whatnot.
>Hence the medicine, drugs, treatments etc.
yet you're acting like we know enough to apply really precise treatments that address all the variations from person to person.
in severe cases of depression the success rate of this medical treatments, accompanied or unaccompanied by conduct therapy, is stunningly low.
So if what you mean is that the problem is purely physical and ideally it can be solved by simply addressing the physical, then maybe, but we're not in a situation where medications solve it for everyone, not even for a 15 percent. It surely should be attempted but if it is and it fails saying that there's always a solution provided by current medical knowledge is a hedious insult

>> No.4242806

>>4242590
>(proper) Induction is pretty much empiricism which so far seems to generated the most reliable results (science) (and parentheses).
I don't think anyone is debating that. The problem of induction is not even about that and only very radical people advocate the abandonment of induction. The problem is that it's fallible and whether there's an infallible or less fallible system

>> No.4242808

>>4242756
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=philosophy
You're not going to weasel me into your house of mirrors of language

>> No.4242811

>>4242636
>Sure, that's why not everyone gets the same exact treatments and the same exact doses.
>And if you're one of the few unlucky that you don't respond any treatment then you cope with it.
>If it happens that you also don't respond to anti depressants which could help with coping with your illness then by all means you do whatever the fuck you wanna do, rape pillage suicide, up to you.
but at some earlier point you said that there was always a solution. provided by current medicine. even neuroscientists will admit there is much they don't know about the brain and its functionality and the dosage is not as settled as you think. much of it is trial and error. which is a sign of it not being solid knowledge, with strict understanding of factors and developments

>> No.4242819

>>4242811
>always a solution
And i 'always' said that if you're unlucky and meds won't work for you then you can do fuck you want but you chose to ignore that bit.
Ease up on your confirmation bias bro.

>>4242808
no no no, i want your definition

>> No.4242822

>>4242711
and why is the duration the principle factor? that's the problem here. you consider that those who commit suicide make a retarded decision because they cut short their time to do shit but why must it be the most important factor for everyone? for Virginia Woolf the important factors were ending her suffering and stop being a weight for her loved one.
Now you admitted that for some, medication, exercise and a good diet don't work and you advice them to just "cope with it". That coping with it still has consequences. There are people on the point of not being able to get up, much less work. People that can't think straight more than a couple of minutes a day, etc.

In those cases, if they desire so, it's much more reasonable for them to kill themselves than just coping with it, given their set of goals. What you're saying is that they should basically conform to what you deem more worthy regardless of their own experience

>> No.4242826

>>4242792
>I merely said that because depression wasn't the source of her..depression but some kind of disability.
can you phrase this any other way? all I'm saying is that you're not away of her specific situation. as well as another multitude of situations. why do you accept doubt in her case but make a categorical declaration towards others

>> No.4242827

>>4242822
This is what i wrote:
"And if you're one of the few unlucky that you don't respond any treatment then you cope with it.
If it happens that you also don't respond to anti depressants which could help with coping with your illness then by all means you do whatever the fuck you wanna do, rape pillage suicide, up to you."

You don't say anything in contrast to this so am not sure what are you defending here.
What exactly is your problem?

>> No.4242828

>>4242792
>What type of value are we talking here bud?
the value of the decision

>> No.4242830

>>4242819
>And i 'always' said that if you're unlucky and meds won't work for you then you can do fuck you want
>>4242447
>Depression, no matter of the source can be fought with medicine and whatnot, in modern times.

>> No.4242837

>>4241546
Not him, but see:
Fate, Time, and Language

Features DFW's thesis and a series of related arguments.

>> No.4242840

>>4242830
>depression no matter the source
By source i mean someone died, you failed at something important in your life, your brain for some reason is producing low amount of serotonin etc.

By amping up some of the chemicals or another technique the depression can be fought, i didn't said "won" so please don't strawman it.

Am sorry but am not sure to whom am responding anymore.
Can you in a post tell me what is your position in suicide and what exactly is that you feel am wrong about.

>> No.4242845

>>4242837
What exactly was so stupid that he said?

>> No.4242846

>>4241679
Ironic that people who claim philosophy to be somehow inferior in validity to the supposed "hard sciences" seem to forget that in physics, reality itself is arbitrary.

>> No.4242844

>>4242399
I don't know what's the point of this, anyways. Many of those (adults) who do commit suicide have been fighting depression a long time or are in such a situation that it's truly awful in one way or another. I specify adults because I have that teens are more impulsive in this sense. But even, I think the only thing that makes suicide a dumb decision (and this depends on the security of the method you choose) is the possibility of surviving (since you would be in an even worse situation)

However, I don't see how "you could experience things longer" is saying anything in favor of either coping or committing suicide. The fact that you could live longer is irrelevant once you're dead and suicide indeed solves the issue of pain

>> No.4242847

>>4242844
>because I have that teens
*I understand that teens

>> No.4242848

>>4242846
I don't wanna sound edgy but eventually everything is arbitrary in a fundamental way.

>> No.4242849

>>4242844
fuck i just realized how many words I got wrong here. sorry, [excuses here]

>> No.4242865

>>4242844
>However, I don't see how "you could experience things longer" is saying anything in favor of either coping or committing suicide. The fact that you could live longer is irrelevant once you're dead and suicide indeed solves the issue of pain

This isn't complicated, am not trying to come of as an idealist, am going for the "what the heck" argument as i did in the first post on suicide.
Suicide is retarded for things like 'muh dramatic exit'.

I could kill myself tomorrow, i could die tomorrow and nothing would matter to me because i wouldn't' exist, but "what the heck lets do whatever while alive and then disappear" i don't think "living life" has any intrinsic value, that's your assumption.
Btw why don't you kill yourself?

>> No.4242873

>>4242865
>Btw why don't you kill yourself?
I guess that my joy balances my suffering enough to not do it.

As for:
>Suicide is retarded for things like 'muh dramatic exit'.
I partially agree (it is, depending on the suicide method) but I doubt those cases are statistically significant.

I am also curious about this:
>Suicide is retarded if you don't have an immediate issue like insufferable physical pain while having a terminal disease.

what qualifies as insufferable? (honest question)

>> No.4242883

>>4242873
I know it's an honest question, i for one am able to read between the lines, not referring to your specifically.
Insufferable as in extreme pain you just can't take while knowing you're gonna die to the illness, is what i was aiming in that sentence.

>inb4 what qualifies as "you can't take"
I'll guess when you wanna smack your face against to the wall so you can go unconscious.

>I guess that my joy balances my suffering enough to not do it.
Are you depressed?
Do you find that you become depressed sometimes?

>> No.4242899

>>4242883
>Do you find that you become depressed sometimes?
Well yeah sometimes, as everyone seems to but I haven't been depressed enough to feel completely paralyzed or even been depressed for a very long time. So even if I've considered suicide at times I don't feel I've ever considered it seriously. Which I think is a good sign

I don't know, man. I think I understand what you're saying. I'm just unsure that a situation like that is the only case in which it's not retarded. I feel that someone that has spent most of his life depressed and to whom medical treatments (including medication, work out sessions and healthy diet) haven't helped enough for him to enjoy life, could be making a reasonable enough decision when taking his life.

What I'm aiming to is that even if he's not in a terminal state and the pain might not qualify exactly as insufferable , the action could still justifiable based on the extension of the illness, its effects on everyday life, and the lack of better prospects.

Sure, there's a chance that it will get better but there's also a chance that it won't so you could end up just accumulating more years of misery. And when the possibility of a solution depends on other people (because in a case like this it will depend on those who develop new treatments) I'm not sure it's a much more reasonable prospect than ending the suffering in a life that is not giving you much pleasure anyways.

>> No.4242903
File: 617 KB, 960x696, depression_is_autism.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4242899
Yes.

>> No.4242907

what is the root of these problems? We are only brains, just a bundle of neurons, so the fact that we perceive any paradoxes at all (we haven't perceived any paradoxes in the concrete, natural world) must be a fundamental flaw with our minds.

>> No.4242909

>>4242903
I don't understand though, what new information is being explained away in a case like that which I presented?

>> No.4242911

>>4242909
What is your age, major if any and country

>> No.4242912

>>4242911
I don't see why it matters. All I'm asking is what is the new information being explained away or rejected

>> No.4242913

>>4242907
>fundamental flaw in our minds
That is a huge claim.
Though i believe paradoxes are bad use of logic and language.

>>4242912
What was initial reason you got bugged by the whole suicide jazz?
And if you can answer the aforementioned questions

>> No.4242919

>>4241997
>you might as well

infuriating cop-out and more importantly an indication that you have no idea what you're talking about

>> No.4242921

>>4242919
I genuinely ask you to give us a piece of your mind.
What is it that you know about?
Can you do that?

>> No.4242923

>>4242913
>bad use of logic and language

What if this "bad use" is not something we could stand back from and understand and correct. We could very well be trapped, and most likely we aren't perfect.

>> No.4242926

>>4242913
>What was initial reason you got bugged by the whole suicide jazz?
The initial reason was that I'm not sure that it's justifiable and not retarded in the case of terminal people with insufferable pain. Basically what I said above, that's why I presented another case in which it might be justifiable. I don't know what you think about it. As for the aforementioned questions: i feel that whether I'm a neurologist or a typist, i am 50 or 15, live in Germany or Somalia; you would still use it to claim ignorance of one kind or the other on my side. So I better not go that route.

>> No.4242927

>>4242923
1260/3 is the answer.
Ofcourse we are not omniscient but we can do much better, i'll make sure of that

>> No.4242929

>>4242926
>The initial reason was that I'm not sure that it's justifiable and not retarded in the case of terminal people with insufferable pain
>The initial reason was that I'm not sure that it's [ONLY] justifiable and not retarded in the case of terminal people with insufferable pain
missed an important word there

>> No.4242934

>>4242926
You're being paranoid on me trying to use that kind of information to justify/falsify arguments.
Am not trying to be an asshole really.

>The initial reason was that I'm not sure that it's [ONLY] justifiable and not retarded in the case of terminal people with insufferable pain
Ok, but there are alot of posts that can make you disagree and argue over, why choose this specific one (suicide)?
Am just trying to figure out why you're so eager on proving that suicide is ok (am not arguing for or against here just curious).

>> No.4242946

>>4242934
>why choose this specific one (suicide)?
I don't know. I think it's just an interesting phenomenon. I guess committing suicide is such an extreme action that is bound to be interesting

>why you're so eager on proving that suicide is ok
I don't think I am. I'm thinking in terms of what's reasonable and unreasonable, and I'm rather unsure about my own example. I was only presenting it to know your opinion, because I'm unsure that committing suicide when on a terminal state and under insufferable pain is more justifiable that committing suicide when in a long time suffering that's not balanced enough against pleasure. That's basically it

>> No.4242951

>>4242946
fair enough.
yes

>> No.4242952

>>4240915

I don't want to write a snarky response, so I'll make it sincere. You are a student and think that you have everything figured out in philosophy. The more you read, the more you will realize the legitimacy of big problems. As a general rule, these authors are not idiots. If they were idiots, we would probably not be talking about them.

>> No.4242953

>>4242951
I'm not known for my fast thinking. What is your yes responding to?

>> No.4242954

>See Art objects

I thought that Goodman and Genette solved that.

>> No.4242957

>>4242954
Doesn't Goodman treat image as verbal language?

>> No.4242979

>>4242951
meh, need to sleep but think it over: maybe you'll find that "terminal & extreme suffering" is as reasonable as "long term pain and insufficient pleasure", pertaining reasons for suicide. Or maybe you can say something that definitely makes the former more reasonable than the later. I'll check the thread later today just in case

>> No.4242990

>>4242766
Everyone who's thinking is thinking.

GGWP

>> No.4243057

>>4242990
you only know that you are thinking

>> No.4243126

>>4242766
>the view or theory that the self is all that can be known to exist.

To know something in philosophy has really strict criteria. If you're going by that, Solipsism doesn't seem that bad.

>> No.4243884

>>4242766
Have you read the Stanford Encyclopoedia entry on the problem of other minds? might be a good starting point.

>> No.4243889

>>4241997
>Which means eat healthy, exercise etc if persists get appropriate neurotransmitter supplements/triggers.

I've tried doing all of those and none worked.
There's no physical solutions to psychological issues.

>> No.4243907

>>4240679

How did Zyzz face changed so much?

>> No.4243978

>>4243889
That wasn't the only thing i said though.

>> No.4243983

>>4243907
puberty

>> No.4244010

>>4243907
Sterons
HGH does that to a jawline.

>> No.4244027

>>4240811
Every single one out of that list has been solved and I can help you with the solution, other than the demarcation problem which I haven't looked into thoroughly.

>> No.4244189

>>4242447

This is the kind of statement which drives many people into depression.

If you're not a pig, you have a hard time taking medicine in the first place; the moment you think about what you're doing, it's not medicine (a cure) anymore but a form of losing yourself -- depression gets worse.

>> No.4244213

>>4241051
>>4240954
>>4240915

can i get contact info from you please? i have questions to ask

>> No.4244705

>>4244213
rltcv@daintly.com

>> No.4246292

>>4243978
You still didn't gave an answer about whether you considered that there were other situations in which suicide was justifiable other than when in terminal state and extreme suffering. In fact, it seems as if you did your best to avoid answering.

>> No.4246300

>>4244189
>the moment you think about what you're doing, it's not medicine (a cure) anymore but a form of losing yourself -- depression gets worse.
I thin I can understand this kind of statement. It's the kind of statement that it's hard to understand if you haven't experienced it: the "okay" sense that antidepressants boost feels nothing like the normal one you get without medication. The energy you feel seems like it comes from nowhere and almost as if you weren't the one feeling it. I guess this is because of the dissociation that commonly appears in severe depression mixed with the seemingly ghostly energy you're getting.

>> No.4246307

the most important question of all: what is to be done with the jew.

>> No.4246335

>>4240679
how do you solve a philosophy problem?