[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 98 KB, 402x402, William-Shakespeare-194895-1-402.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4222502 No.4222502[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I know this has probably been asked a billion times before, but I just saw the Throne of Blood, and having read Hamlet and Romeo & Juliet in highschool, I want to read me some Shakespeare and want the definitive collection for somebody who is not attending any college courses on him.

In my searches online, I find people saying that some collections are better than others for different purposes, but they usually stop there and don't say what those intended purposes are. The most I've gathered is that the Arden Shakespeare is very advanced, and probably not something I would want, seeing as how I'll just be reading it at home.

I want the collection that is most complete (I'm fairly certain all of them have his entire body of work, so that's probably not an issue), with annotations that will help me understand what is being said, but also I really like historical information and facts about the plays and whatnot, be it their history or the history of what's going on, etc

What's the best collection for an at home reader

>> No.4222507

I have many different collections of Shakespeare, and my favorite by far is The Norton Shakespeare.

It's a fucking brick, but it's great. Good annotations, good history, good background information on each play.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0393068013