[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 226 KB, 1635x465, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4208829 No.4208829[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

When do you think we'll start seeing literary fiction on the millennial and Z generations? Racial tensions, economic collapse, political deadlock, societal upheaval, war, poverty, etc in the western world has created almost two 'broken' generations and I would love to see some literary fiction on the matter.

>> No.4208844
File: 85 KB, 570x790, Feature-CLICK.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4208846
File: 241 KB, 379x579, 1363492018414.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I take it you don't consider Tao Lin and his fellows literary.

>> No.4208851

Tao Lin is on my to-do list, which should I start with?

>> No.4208853

Soon.

I'm a gen Y-er working on a novel about a world ravaged by nuclear war. Not the typical action movie shit, just a story focusing on how people survive in the wasteland. The survivor characters are drawn from various archetypes of losers and drifters and the rest of the assorted dross Gen Y has produced.

The nukes went off when terrorists embedded a virus into a visual novel that was disseminated on an imageboard and was downloaded by the NEET children of military higher ups

>> No.4208866

>>4208853
I was kind of looking for literary fiction not genre fiction.

I myself am throwing ideas around, mine is set in the 2020s about a college student. Economic and political conditions in America have continued to go downhill. I haven't started writing yet but planning on writing in alinear fashion how the MC explores his self and his colleagues.

>> No.4208869

>>4208866
I don't consider it genre fiction any more than, say, The Road is. It has an obviously post-apocalyptic setting but it's focused on character, not wacky adventures and explosions.

The nuclear wasteland setting is just, like, a reflection of our generation's outlook and feelings of futurelessness, maaaaaan.

>> No.4208883

>>4208869
Oh, and half of it takes place in the present day, before the nuclear holocaust. Chapters alternate between "before" and "after"

>> No.4208908

>>4208883
i hate that, learn to tell a story without a gimmick pls

>> No.4208915

>>4208853
What a unique narrative you're weaving

>> No.4209125

taipei

>> No.4209129

there's none yet and there's not likely to be much in the future considering that half of generations y and z are functionally illiterate

>> No.4209186

>>4208908
>implying manipulating structural elements is a "gimmick"

Chaucer, Faulkner and Gabriel Garcia Marquez would all like to have a word with you, sir

>> No.4209200

>>4208853
Cold war tropes in fiction that's supposed to reflect generation Y?
Hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha.

>> No.4209201

Okay Metro 2033 go back to Russia.

>> No.4209207

>>4209200

yeah mang, if anything the wasteland of the y-ers would some twisted combination of an idiocracy scenario and Logan's run.

>> No.4209212

>>4209186
fine, a cliche. they even have a shit tv show called defiance or some shit that has a current time/future dynamic.

wow.
so wow.

>> No.4209217

>>4209212

So? There are plenty of shitty shows that tell their stories linearly, too.

I mean your problem here basically boils down to telling a story in a nonlinear fashion, what are you a caveman?

>> No.4209220

>>4209200
>he thinks the cold war is over

>> No.4209224

>>4209200
Why not?

Gen Y did get fucked by their forebears, particularly the boomers. It only seems fitting that the boomer apocalypse is what represents Gen Y's hopelessness. Screwed over by circumstances they didn't create, that were set in motion long before they were born.

>> No.4209237

I'm particularly interested in what a "millenials" themed dystopia would look like. It's becoming increasingly apparent that we are more so a lost generation than any generation before us. We have no compass, we have no code of honor. Capitalism and democracy have both finally culminated in our generation as an abandonment of cultural unity. America's democracy isn't even about values or ideology anymore, its solely about detestable self-interest. The homosexual community only march for homosexual rights, the feminists only march for women's rights, the rich vote for lower taxes on the rich, and the poor vote for higher welfare checks for the poor. Capitalism, likewise, has reached its apex in our generation. The economic system that once was so conducive to growth and prosperity has festered, incentivizing an "every man for himself" approach that is grinding our economy down into the dirt, instead of driving it forward.

We lack a code of honor because we lack a national identity. Hating the government and our own people has become not only chic, but the norm in our generation. We lack a great enemy to rally against, as has been the case with every other American generation since WWI. So, us, the generation that has everything we could ever want provided for us, muddles around with neither directions nor drive. Going to university has become the norm, and universities (for the most part) have just become vehicles for hedonism and escapism, where highschool grads go to kill another four years before they must be forced out into the "real world".

There is no honor among our generation. We are but the rotten fruits of an America gone decadent.

>> No.4209239

>>4209212

Do you have any fucking idea what you're talking about?

>> No.4209241

>>4209237
Without getting all self-promotioning, I'm trying to puzzle this one out myself; a dystopia based on hollow notions of 'freedom' and 'democracy' that leave everyone free to pursue meaningless, selfish ends, in a world where all alternatives are ignored or in the process of being invaded/meddled in. The final victory of 19th Century liberalism and the old Free Trade fantasies, so to speak.

It's...difficult to figure out.

>> No.4209245

>>4209129
Er... You know that literature is produced by individuals, right? Even if that were true, which it isn't, it wouldn't matter.

>> No.4209247

>>4209239
wow.
so wow.

>> No.4209248

>>4208829
War, racial tension, etc? Pretty sure a defining feature of current generations (in the west) is that they have less of that than past ones. Not saying that everything is great for everyone, but it's relatively peaceful.

>> No.4209250

>>4209247

Boy, you sure showed us.

>> No.4209253

>>4209250
wow.
wow.
wubzi; wubzi, wubzi.
wow, wow.

>> No.4209258

>>4209224

entitled prick. No one fucked the y-er's over but themselves.

They're a direct byproduct of overabundant information and a lack of self control. We know too much across to broad a spectrum to be of any real use or value in the old societal model, or even happy within it.

So as I stated before, all entitled, useless, dickheads. Like myself.

>> No.4209263

>>4209258

It's a little from column A and a little from column B.

It's not like the human condition changed overnight or something. Gen Y is no more self-absorbed than any other generation of humans. They may have mismanaged their opportunities, but they're also a victim of temporal circumstance -- and it's pretty indisputable that the system was set up for them to fail from jump.

>> No.4209285
File: 116 KB, 266x289, shibe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4208908
>being so dumb that Pulp Fiction is too deep for you and trying to wow your way out of it
go away you dense fuck

>> No.4209287

>>4209263

Children are created, shaped, and guided by society and, more directly, their parents.

If you turn out a waste it's not particularly your fault, but you sure as hell could have done something about the fact.

>>4209237

What we need is a frontier. Something attainable to reach for. Something like a space race or another global war would give us the much needed kick.

It's a shitty generation to be a part of really, everything might pan out well in a few decades with the birth rates dropping, and the climate going for a ball of shit. Not to mention the few people smart enough to give a damn and contribute to science doing alright for themselves.

It's just a shame that there's so many stifled out of living up to their potential because of circumstance and whatever the hell is messin' with the y-er's heads anyway.

>> No.4209298

>>4209237
This is well-written. I'm working on a polemical manifesto written by an underemployed twenty-something which addresses the alienation of our generation - a generation addicted to screens - by prescribing unified political violence.

It just struck me reading your post that you've reflected on some similar things which leads me to believe that I'm headed in the right direction.

>> No.4209301

>>4209285
terantino.
do understand.
no wow.

>> No.4209342

>>4209237

It's already been written. It's called Brave New World.

>> No.4209348

>>4209237
This is what happens when mass communication deconstructs almost all attempts at lies and propaganda, so we still simulate the ways of old times because we don't know what else to do. We have trained ourselves in saying "I know it's wrong, but... ...". The death of the grand narratives as institutionally enforced narratives, might be a good thing. I welcome the last stage of capitalism.

>> No.4209350

>>4209237
If you think that capitalism has ever been anything but "every man for himself", you need to read The Wealth of Nations

>> No.4209358

>>4208829
This generation (generation Y) is the most nihilistic generation that has ever lived. We do not even believe in nihilism. The most ambitious believe in pleasure, while the rest, rest consumed by a torpor that must follow the hegemony of science in any human heart. Acedia consumes us.
In other places the sun is rising, but there is nothing here but the dark of the night.

>> No.4209382

>>4209298
Hell, anybody who has spent any time ruminating on the state of our generation has come to a similar conclusion.

>>4209342

Eh. While Brave New World is certainly still relevant, it leaves something to be desired for our generation. What we face today is not the destruction of the individual, but the fragmentation and dissolution of a unified society.

>>4209350

Well yes, but historically capitalism has ultimately served for the advancement of society. We reached the point where capitalism has become counterproductive. Now, the man of the most capable individuals go into fields such as iBanking, where its possible to make billions of dollars through the mere manipulation of hypothetical currency, without contributing anything tangible to society.

>> No.4209387

>>4209237
>generation
>only talks about America's culture
America's nonsense catching up with it is hardly a representation of the first generation to have the whole world connected to it and available at a moment's notice.

>> No.4209400

>We are sacrificed!
>No, we are egotistic!
This thread couldn't get any more cliché and boring.

>> No.4209403
File: 528 KB, 980x1348, 1370902964536.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

so does anyone have an answer for OP?

>> No.4209417

>>4209387
I'm sorry, is there any better gauge of a generation than its culture, politics and economics? (All of which I mentioned in the post). And I kept my argument limited to America because I am American, and wouldn't presume to pass judgement on the state of any other people.

>> No.4209429

>>4209417
Politics are the middle-aged's ballgame and considering voter apathy is at its peak in America, it's bizarre to assume it's a reflection of the youth.
Economics follows suit. The youth's effect on economics so far is being overwhelmingly in debt and unable to find proper work.

Focusing on the silly in-house problems instead of the rise of internet culture, dissemination of information, revolution and system-change either occurring or in the air in much of the world, and the sense of everything being broken permeating all of it is just plain bizarre.

>> No.4209433

>Racial tensions, economic collapse, political deadlock, societal upheaval, war, poverty, etc.

So more of the same as with every other generation in human history?

Look for something that captures the increasing fragmentation, commercialization, separation, and control of communications. We've passed through the golden age, and are moving through the silver.

I'm not sure when the lead shod age of the boot will be. There is still time before then, and they will have their say.

And after then we will be back to books.

>> No.4209435

>found a country on freedam and the pursuit of happiness
>200 years loater people are being free and pursuing happiness
WOW GUIZE WHAT THE FUCK IT ALL WENT WRONG

>> No.4209438

>>4209429
>Internet culture
So cat pictures and blind hatred?

>> No.4209455

>>4209435
Why do so many of you generalise the West as being just the USA? I'm genuinely curious. Is that just part of the culture, delusions of grandeur?

>> No.4209461

>>4209455
It's a USA thread.
The whole "greatest generation", "X", "Y" and so on is an American classification.

>> No.4209462

>>4209429

Suicide rates are at an all time high across all demographics. The advent of public shootings in America is an unprecedented phenomenon throughout the entire history of the human race. People are rejecting modern society, like a host body rejects a foreign organ, at an alarmingly increasing rate. I don't want to sound dramatic, but it is evident that something is deeply wrong with modern society. And it will be up to the few great writers and philosophers that our generation spawns to find some sort of answer.

Oh yeah and internet culture is shit

>> No.4209465

ITT: fight club omg so deep you guys

Im thinking of writing a book about having sex with lots of people from different cultures, not being sure when a relationship becomes serious, making snarky exagerated remarks about people I dont like, complaining about homosexuals and subcultures, and my intense fear of casteration. Am I the voice of a generation yet?

>> No.4209466

>>4209455
Keep it in /pol/ faggot

>> No.4209467

>>4209462
internet culture
not amazing

where else can you tell someone to go eat shit or make jokes about 9/11 without getting so much as an odd glance?

>> No.4209471

>>4209461
No actually you're dumb.

>> No.4209474

>>4209461
No it's not you cretin. It clearly applies to the entirety of the Western world. It's primarily based on the impact of the world wars for fuck sake.

>> No.4209475

>>4209467
I like the internet like I like Harry Potter. It gives me guilty pleasure but I still realize its shit

>> No.4209476

>>4209462
>I don't want to sound dramatic
Maybe you shouldn't compose a post of media buzzwords, then.
Mass shootings in America kill less people than accidental drownings, people accidentally shooting family members while mistaking them for burglars, and a host of other things.
People are rejecting modern society in what way? Facebook twice as many users as there are people in North America.Writers produce no answers, and philosophers follow logic. You must be a teenager to be this willfully sensationalist.

>> No.4209478

>>4209471
You think this "abloobloo younguns aren't politicized" applies to a generation that overthrow its government in Egypt?
You think it applies to a generation that burned London?
You think it describes a generation that goes around in the streets of Paris fistfighting with skinheads?

>> No.4209481

>>4209474
>It clearly applies to the entirety of the Western world.
It clearly doesn't.
It's fucking hilarious how >>4209455
reproaches me to generalizing the US to the rest of the western world, and then you proceed to generalize american generational tendencies to the rest of the fucking western world.

>> No.4209487

>>4209474
>It's primarily based on the impact of the world wars for fuck sake.
It's based on the impact they had in AMERICA you dumb fuck.

Only Americans would associate the world wars with "greatness".

>> No.4209493

>>4209481
>and then you proceed to generalize american generational tendencies to the rest of the fucking western world.

Sorry, where did I do that exactly? If you're implying
>Is that just part of the culture, delusions of grandeur?
then you need help with your reading comprehension. I was clearly referring to America.

>> No.4209504

>>4209478
The American youth seem even more politicized than the do the English, when an outside perspective's taken; I know from experience (being Australian, having British family, and having friends in both Canada and New Zealand) that these conversations are local to at least the entirety of the anglosphere (and we also use those same 'greatest', 'baby boomer', and 'X & Y' classifications, being as we attach our identities to the same wars and medical events).

>> No.4209507

>>4209358
calm down eh

>> No.4209508

>>4209476
The disturbing thing about public shootings is the inherent senselessness of them, not the actual body count. The Boston Bombings shocked people, but they made sense once we found out the perpetrator. He was doing it for his radical ideology. That can be understood. But the Dark Knight shooting? A perfectly sane, functioning member of society decides one day to shoot up a theater for no other reason than to make an impact. It's as explicit a rejection of society, of modern life, as you can get.

>Writers produce no answers

Who the fuck have you been reading, son? The whole point of dystopian/utopian novels (which is where this discussion started) are to provide both a critique and alternate solution to the modern state of things.

Anyways, this is rapidly turning into a /pol/ level thread so I'm out. By the way, I'm 21. I just tend to get a little apocalyptic in my thinking after 4am.

>> No.4209520

>>4209487
What are you talking about? The British, the ANZACs, and the Americans are all pretty proud of how they handled themselves in those wars.

>> No.4209524

>>4209508
>A perfectly sane, functioning member of society
If your idea of perfectly sane, functioning members of society are men with mental illnesses, I don't really know what to tell you.

>The whole point of dystopian/utopian novels (which is where this discussion started) are to provide both a critique and alternate solution to the modern state of things.
Please explain to me what solutions Brave New World, 1984, etc. provide. Nevermind the fact your post is the first to mention dystopia in the thread.

>> No.4209532

There is an extremely strong and negative relationship between the quality of a text and the amount of attention it gives to "current" problems.

>> No.4209536

>>4209493
>Sorry, where did I do that exactly?
here
>>4209474
> It clearly applies to the entirety of the Western world.

>> No.4209542

>>4209524
Ok, I'll bite again. First off, one of the posters above me was talking about writing a novel about the post-nuclear apocalypse. Dystopia.

Second, James Holmes never had been, and still hasn't been, diagnosed with any mental disorder. He was a candidate for a PhD in neuroscience. He had friends and got good grades. You can't just dismiss someone by labeling them as having a mental illness. The whole point of Brave New World was to act as a cautionary tale of the consequences of the dehumanization of industrialization and progress. Its point hit home, and, for all we know, it worked.

>> No.4209546

>>4209532
... are you serious? Gabriel Garcia Marquez must be an awful writer then, immersed as he was in the politics of his time and home. Faulkner too. And Hemingway. And literally every famous writer ever. You're right. Writers should strive to be completely irrelevant.

>> No.4209555

>>4209542
>You can't just dismiss someone by labeling them as having a mental illness.
I'm not dismissing him, but given the fact some of his friends mentioned his bizarre behaviour, he him having previously mentioned mental illness to said friends, was seeing a psychiatrist who considered him possibly mentally ill and soon to be diagnosed at the time of the shooting, plead not guilty by insanity, and all testimony to his previous behaviour included mention of strangeness, I think it's fairly safe to assume that he is not a shining example of a "perfectly sane, functioning member of society".

> Its point hit home, and, for all we know, it worked.
This is funny to me considering Brave New World is generally held up as a good mirror for our current society, clearly indicating its message was ignored. Cautionary tales also do not present solutions, but merely point fingers at the "incorrect" method.

>> No.4209565

>>4209555
I'm going to leave you with two points. 1) The rise in mental illnesses is in and of itself a symptom of the intrinsic sickness of society, and, more importantly, how those with mental illnesses manifest themselves upon society. You cannot possibly argue with the fact that depression and suicide rates are skyrocketing. This is not anecdotal evidence. This is true across all generations, and all western nations (and especially where I live, in America).

And 2) If you do not believe that writers have power to shape and change society, why are you posting on a /lit/ board? Why do you read if you think words on paper have no power over people?

>> No.4209571
File: 5 KB, 125x126, 1335627088532.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4209565
Go to bed anon.

>> No.4209573

>>4209536
Dropping semantics for a moment, we're essentially still arguing over whether these terms apply to just America or the rest of the Western world. Okay I shall conceded that I may not be able to speak for all of it, but a lot of the categorisations correspond to those used in Britain.

>> No.4209578

>>4209546
I agree on Marquez, haven't read Faulkner, but let's talk about Hemingway.

By far his best works are the universal and timeless pieces: The Old Man and the Sea and the stories in The Snows of Kilimanjaro.

>> No.4209595

>>4209578

Faulkner was deeply concerned with the state of the South when he was writing. He strove to address the fact that the South was essentially stuck in the fatalism of the past. Yet, his work was also relevant to the larger human experience, hence why it is still in the literary canon today.

For Hemingway I was thinking specifically of The Sun Also Rises, where he critiques the hedonism of the 1920s "Lost Generation". Good writers have elements of both immediate cultural relevancy and of larger human significance. I think it would be quite the struggle to find an enduring writer that did not accomplish both

>> No.4209603
File: 34 KB, 389x410, suicide-rates-evolution.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4209565
>You cannot possibly argue with the fact that depression and suicide rates are skyrocketing.
I can and I will argue so.

First, the increase of the global suicide rate comes mainly from developing countries, not the western world.
Actually the suicide rate in the OECD has been going down. See pic.

Second, you have romantic notions about what suicide is.
Suicide rates are higher in aged demographics (which kinda deflects the generation thing), and more importantly the first cause of suicide isn't "general unease", but mental illness.
And before you say it's caused by society, no, the general zeitgeist doesn't cause neurodegenerative diseases.

Old people kill themselves not because they "generally feel ill at ease with modern society", but because it's something you do when all your friends are dead and you're losing your head.
Obviously the aging of population ought to have an effect of the general suicide rate.

>> No.4209758

i am going to make a pointless rant devoid of meaning nor consistency, devoid of reasons or anything that is worth fulfilling since i believe it represents the times we live in all the way to the fucking bank

>> No.4209764

>>4209758
>all the way to fucking bank
>uncapitalized, un-full-stopped sentence
>misuse of 'nor'
>unclarifying repetition of phrases
Some good representation here, no joke.

>> No.4209780

>>4209245
>Even if that were true, which it isn't, it wouldn't matter.

If the trend continues, who is going to read and propagate the work done by said individuals?

>> No.4209788

Wow this got a lot of replies over night, but only one real recommendation. But the discussion is pretty good, especially this post >>4209237 . Maybe millennial/gen Z issues are too recent and literary fiction is on its way.

>> No.4209836

>>4209788
You could read some Megg, Mogg & Owl, or Subnormality, comics, if you were really interested in understanding the worldviews of the Millennials.

>> No.4210194

If you want an easy and entertaining read, I would recommend George Saunder's Civil Warland in Bad Decline. I feel like he pretty accurately sums up the zeigeist of our generation

>> No.4210259

>>4209478
Do you honestly think the kebab are a part of the western world?

>> No.4210328 [DELETED] 
File: 33 KB, 296x289, AREIZOO.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4208829
>When do you think we'll start seeing literary fiction on the millennial

MILLENNIAL FICTION HAS BEEN BEING PRODUCED FOR SLIGHTLY MORE THAN A DECADE NOW.

ARE YOU COGNITIVELY IMPAIRED, OR SOMETHING SIMILAR?

>... and Z generation?

GENZEERS WILL PROBABLY START PRODUCING THEIR OWN FICTION IN APPROXIMATELY THREE TO FOUR YEARS.

>> No.4210365

>>4209462
I'd argue very differently.
People want to conform to modern society but the internet has brought forth too many identities, cultures and groups within society to conform to.

Everyone is kind of reaching out for something and it's all very divisive within modern society. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but that's just the way I see it.

>> No.4210383
File: 73 KB, 299x323, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4208853
>mfw I'm writing a story where a country based on Israel nukes the entire world after using a false flag to turn a Cold War into a world war

>> No.4210491

>>4210328
literary fiction autist. I haven't seen much millennial fiction that could be called that.

>> No.4210496 [DELETED] 
File: 86 KB, 600x586, AREIZOO II.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4210491

WHAT IS KNOWN AS "ALT LIT", IS MILLENNIAL LITERATURE.

>> No.4210518

>>4209237
>what's a working man-republican and a rich liberal faggy democrat?

Politics is not that simple, and your view of reality is retarded

>> No.4210534

>>4209350
No one has read that on this board.5

>> No.4210624

>>4209382
>implying that wasn't happening in the 20's and 80's and other times.

>> No.4210651

>>4209478
Yea, overthrew the government, twice, and installed a military regime.

Youngins are, and always will be, pawns of the elite because they can be controlled through sensationalist propaganda and make good, warm bodies to throw at any movement.

After the revolution occurs, society is routinized again, by the older generation.

>> No.4210686

>>4209224
Still think a nuclear war doesn't really work here.

Global warming (please don't turn this into a debate on climate politics) would make more sense for a Gen Y Apocalypse. Everything just sort of started to crumble and fall appart. There was no big dramatic war, just the mistakes of the previous generation just all sort of caught up with everyone at once.

>> No.4210727

>>4210686
ITS NOT A DEBATE AND ITS NOT POLITICS, ITS SCIENCE YOU FUCK AND WERE KILLING THE EARTH

I THOUGHT THIS BOARD WOULD BE MORE ENLIGHTENRD

>> No.4210936

>>4208829

Sins of the father type stuff would be very relevant in terms of climate change and the state of the economy.

>> No.4211123

>>4209462
Most human's haven't had access to a gun.
It was only invented around 1000 years ago.
The more you know

>> No.4211225

>>4209237
>I'm particularly interested in what a "millenials" themed dystopia would look like.
Just wait fifteen years and you won't have to use your imagination.

Also, dystopian lit is so fucking stupid. As someone who wants to write some or see some, you are so fucking stupid. The thesis of dystopian /lit/ is that the world could be a fundamentally awful place for rich white people too, and that there would be no greater tragedy.

Probably near a third of America's been living in a "dystopia" their whole lives.

>> No.4211307

>>4210727
> ENLIGHTENED
> WERE

lel

>> No.4211324

Funnily enough, I'm working on a short story collection featuring the decline of western standards as recurring motif. Basically worked around what my parents and grandparents told me about how things use to be, what things were better then, etc.

>Implying it'll be any good
>Implying I'll even finish it
>Implying that even if I do, it will never be published.

>> No.4211372

>>4211324
or you could write something not based off of a horrendously stupid concept

>> No.4211376

>>4208829
Never.

Expect a lot more YA fiction.

>> No.4211432

>>4211372
>Horrendously stupid concept

Do you even Spengler, bro?

>> No.4212084

>>4208829
I've been thinking about this a lot.

It seems like a lot of people my age want to write a played-out dystopia, or a self-pitying rehash of Notes From Underground. But I take the opposite view. I have no self pity. I know that I'm living in luxury. I acknowledge that I've been extremely privileged. I haven't known the hardship of a true war or true poverty. The entire world is at our fingertips, the door is open - yet we choose to close it.

Why? Well, it feels like we're approaching an end point. We live in a post-everything world. It's been ~130 years since Nietzsche proclaimed that God is dead, but nowadays we've nearly wiped the entire slate clean. Tradition, culture, religion... it's all fading into the background noise. Science has explanations for practically everything, and is now wrestling with some really heavy concepts. Joseph Campbell wrote of the need for a new mythology, yet nothing has emerged. We can explain everything, yet believe in nothing.

I know this dilemma has been around for a while, but we seem to be approaching it's extreme. What if science were to find a "theory of everything"? We still wouldn't know ourselves.

>> No.4212126

this is a really broad question and it's answer probably depends on which kind of literary group/region you're talking about (American lit etc.etc.)

personally I think the idea of the internet will develop more and that will influence novels and all media in some sahpe or form.

>> No.4212147

>>4212126
why is the only good novel involving the internet written by tao lin?

how does it feel that yo will never write the next dakotafanningxhaleyjoelosment

>> No.4212163

>>4212084
We do have a mythology of current times. It's psychoanalysis. And I mean that in a manner that is kudos to the pursuit. Of course few people take the time to really delve into it, but it does currently look into and serves as the shorthand for the last bastion that science hasn't yet been able to so much as scratch the tip of the iceberg of. It's even coming to the point that neuropsychoanalysis is a legitimate and increasingly interesting field to study.

>> No.4212165

>>4212163
Just to quote wikipedia:

Neuro-psychoanalytic researchers put these two kinds of knowledge together. They relate unconscious (and sometimes conscious) functioning discovered through the techniques of psychoanalysis or experimental psychology to underlying brain processes. Among the ideas explored in recent research are the following:
"Consciousness" is limited (5-9 bits of information) compared to emotional and unconscious thinking based in the limbic system.[2]
Secondary-process, reality-oriented thinking can be understood as frontal lobe executive control systems.[2]
Dreams, confabulations, and other expressions of primary-process thinking are meaningful, wish-fulfilling manifestations of the loss of frontal executive control of mesocortical and mesolimbic "seeking" systems.[2][3]
Freud's "libido" corresponds to a dopaminergic seeking system[4]:144
Drives can be understood as a series of basic emotions (prompts to action) anchored in pontine regions, specifically the periaqueductal gray, and projecting to cortex: play; seeking; caring; fear; anger; sadness. Seeking is constantly active; the others seek appropriate consummations (corresponding to Freud's "dynamic" unconscious).[4]
Seemingly rational and conscious decisions are driven from the limbic system by emotions which are unconscious.[5]
Repression of trauma results from hormones shutting off the retranscribing action of the hippocampus[citation needed]
Infantile amnesia (the absence of memory for the first years of life) occurs because the verbal left hemisphere becomes activated later, in the second or third year of life, after the non-verbal right hemisphere. But infants can and do have procedural and emotional memories.[6][7]
Infants' first-year experiences of attachment and second-year (approximately) experiences of disapproval lay down pathways that regulate emotions and profoundly affect adult personality.[6]
Oedipal behaviors (observable in primates) can be understood as the effort to integrate lust systems (testosterone-driven), romantic love (dopamine-driven), and attachment (oxytocin-driven) in relation to key persons in the environment.[8]
Differences between the sexes are more biologically-based and less environmentally-driven than Freud believed.[4]:225–260

>> No.4212727

>>4209478
>You think it describes a generation that goes around in the streets of Paris fistfighting with skinheads?

top fucking kek, you're calling a hundred guys tops fighting over the span of a few yaers in the late 80s a "generation" ?

>but but muh antifa chasseurs de skin

the whole western youth is becoming less prone to violent political uprisings, however this doesn't apply to old-skool dictatorships (so the middle east among others).

>> No.4212745

I expect we'll see more critiques of globalist liberalism to enter the mainstream. The European Y:ers in particular seem to have taken a shift to nationalism in response to the increasing foreign ethnicities being forced upon them and the segregated elites who tell them what they ought to think about it and how horrible they are for not toeing the line.

>> No.4214863

>>4211324
>writing based off shit you've been told
>rather than shit you've lived yourself

protip the frontier is always moving go find it fuckface

>> No.4215629

>>4209435

>found country on freedom and pursuit of happiness
>200 years later the population isn't free and are primarily blocked off from pursuing their own happiness

That's where it went wrong. Don't believe the hype.

>> No.4215800

>>4208829
>racial tensions
>millenials and generation z

I don't think so Tim. Disregarding the fringe, racial tension in the general population are at an all time low.

>> No.4217514

>>4215800
Was referring more to Europe with the immigration problems and religious clashes

>> No.4217751

>>4209129
>half of generations y and z are functionally illiterate

I was going to combat this but it's fucking true.

>> No.4217755

>>4209524

>men with mental illnesses

Didn't you try to engage with the other anon by accusing him of buzzwording

>> No.4217756

>>4217751
>born in le wrong generation fallacy

>> No.4217763

>Racial tensions, economic collapse, political deadlock, societal upheaval, war, poverty, etc in the western world
More like lost motivation, the rise of NEETs, internet culture, social justice and a lack of an identity in the youth.
Jesus, OP, get with the times.

>> No.4217772

>>4209237
"I have to be careful not to preach / I can't pretend that I can teach / And yet I live your futures out / By pounding stages like a clown." - The Who, "The Punk and The Godfather"

"You will never understand
how it feels to live your life
with no meaning or control
and with nowhere left to go" - Pulp, "Common People"

For some reason those lyrics sprung up in my mind upon reading your diatribe.

>> No.4217776

>>4209403
That pic is the answer.

>> No.4217783

>>4212745
This. I'm an American in Europe at the moment and there seems to be a little bit of a reactionary backlash, though usually only against those who fail to wholly assimilate.

>> No.4217786

>>4215800
It's not racial tension in the Ellison-Morrison vein, it's more like the fallout/potential downsides of multiculturalism -as most people have said, particularly in Europe.

I was in Belgium a couple days ago and I had to look for hours just to find a place to get a waffle, because everything was Middle-Eastern fare.

>> No.4217791

Gen Y seems obsessed with labels. The annoying women in high school who wanted to be identified as wiccans graduated to wanting to be seen a cis gendered and pan sexual and every other depraved moniker that seems hip and contemporary.

Heaven help you if you use the wrong pronoun though. In a Gen Y dystopia calling a circus freak a he instead of a she is classified as a hate crime,

>> No.4217795

>>4217791
But the identity types are generally in their 30s and 40s. Late Gen X.

>> No.4217802

>>4217783
>and there seems to be a little bit of a reactionary backlash
If you want to see their thoughts you should look at how their elections are leaning.
>>4217786
Eh, i'd say it's both racial and cultural. Most of the countries are essentially ethnostates with a couple of hundred to thousand years of that behind them who got 'multiculturalism' pushed on them by a small amount of elitist rootless cosmopolitans in the last 20-30 years.
The types who think of London and NYC in fetishistic terms right down to the insane housing costs and blame a moral failure of the natives in not integrating the foreigners well enough while living in entirely segregated neighbourhoods themselves.

>> No.4217900
File: 81 KB, 500x728, 12a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

People in every place, and in every time, have believed that they were presiding over a moral or cultural decline.

The classical Greeks believed it. So did the ancient Egyptians, the imperial Romans and British, post-war Japanese, and many Islamic nations (invoking the four rightly guided Caliphs from early Islam as proof) . Apparently contemporary Americans believe it too.

They're all wrong. There never were any Good Ole' Days or Golden Ages. They are the result of a cognitive bias born from looking back on the past with nostalgia, and from mythologised accounts of a nation's glorious past. The world has always been a messy, imperfect place that falls short of our ideals, and in all likelihood it always will be.

The fact that people are still buying into this stubborn lie only demonstrates how willing people are to see only the things that confirm their existing worldview.

TL;DR Version:

>ITT: Pic related

>> No.4217912

As soon as the Z generation actually fucking happens

>> No.4220251

>>4209237
I have a hard time understanding someone with views this sheltered. I live in a country that is still fighting a 50-year old war, that is crawling out of extreme poverty and inequality, and is trying to mend it's broken culture and institutionality. We would give anything to have such an inconsequential non-problem as "no honor". Who gives a shit about that?
Honestly, have a sense of perspective. Your generation, like all american generations will be a little better and a bit more privileged that the one that came before. No biggie.
From what I see and read, you americans are actually getting better, you are less jingoistic, less bloodthirsty, less bigoted, less fanatical, more educated, and about the only problem I see is a rise in inequality, but your poverty isn't increasing, so it's not that big of a deal.
So please, enought with the pathetic little pity-party about the decline of the west or whatever bullshit is eating at your little contrarian soul. You're doing fine, you're just not special, either for better, or for worse.

>> No.4220270

>>4217791
Holy shit do you people read the idiocy you write? How is this in any way a real problem? Are you seriously that butthurt about not being able to scream "Faggot" like a spastic retard that it's your version of dystopia?

>> No.4220273

>>4217786
So racial tension, the downside of multicultiralism is that you can't find a waffle. Okay then.

>> No.4220285

>>4220273
But those are some sweet-ass waffles, man

>> No.4220302

>>4220251
holy cow I can't believe this thread is still alive!

Ahem.

It's perfectly normal to be concerned with the state of my own nation. It was 3 in the morning and I had not slept the previous night when I wrote this. I realize now that this is quite melodramatic, and I could easily see how this would come off as a pity-party to someone with a much less sheltered background.

That being said, I don't think the problems facing the West are trivial at all. Civilizations are always in flux--either they are on the ascent or in decline. I grew up in Vietnam, however at this point in my life I would consider myself more American than Vietnamese. And the contrast between the two countries is startling. Sure America is objectively the better place to life. However, in Vietnam (especially the last time I visited last year) there is this overwhelming sense of optimism and cultural unity that people of my generation who have only ever lived in America could never even dream of. The Vietnamese are a rising people, and this is reflected in their popular attitude. They have the outlook that there's nowhere to go but up, and because of this they are a more unified and stronger people than Americans could ever hope to be. America, though we may still be one of the wealthiest nations in the world, is on the decline. And this is reflected in a widespread dissolution and fragmentation of the American people, and a general lack of morality and guidance of my generation.

So this is the particular context that I made my last post in, and yes, I realize that I must sound like a spoiled little American brat. But I don’t think the fact that America is comparatively better off than many other nations should make America immune to criticism. An awareness of our current flaws is the only way to fix them.

>> No.4220310

>>4220251
>have a sense of perspective
You should heed your own advice. You can fling shit as much as you want over who has it worse between your third world shithole and the West's culture of cold apathy, but at the end of the day neither is particularly preferable.

Cancer is most certainly a more deadly affliction than depression, but just because cancer exists doesn't mean that depression should be ignored.