[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 60 KB, 508x776, Prince-of-Thorns.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4201223 No.4201223[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Thoughts on this book /lit?

>> No.4201232

When he was nine, he watched as his mother and brother were killed before him. At thirteen, he led a band of bloodthirsty thugs. By fifteen, he intends to be king...
It's time for Prince Honorous Jorg Ancrath to return to the castle he turned his back on, to take what's rightfully his. Since the day he hung pinned on the thorns of a briar patch and watched Count Renar's men slaughter his mother and young brother, Jorg has been driven to vent his rage. Life and death are no more than a game to him--and he has nothing left to lose. But treachery awaits him in his father's castle. Treachery and dark magic. No matter how fierce his will, can one young man conquer enemies with power beyond his imagining?

Sounds terrible.

>> No.4201241

im looking for a good underdog story. basically a rising of an empire. any reccomendations?

>> No.4201263

>>4201241
The Iron Dream, by Norman Spinrad.

>> No.4201495

the writing is as poor as light gore fan fiction. I read the first one of the trilogy and won't be continuing onto the rest. The book is also rather short for the concepts it wants to introduce about the world. it'd actually be an interesting world in a better author's hands.

>> No.4201509

>>4201232
>can one young man conquer enemies with power beyond his imagining?

Average JRPG: The Book

>> No.4201631

>>4201232
I don't get it, why is modern fantasy littered with this grimdark faggotry?
Antiheroes are faggots, write heroes again, people.

>> No.4201745

>>4201631
>I don't get it, why is modern fantasy littered with this grimdark faggotry?
Because
> I don't want to write another generic Tolkien-ripoff fantasy
> I want to write something totally fresh and original
> With antihero assasins!
> Which has gray characters and no good-evil dichotomy!
> And a strong female snarky warrior-chick character! (In a supporting role, of course.)

>> No.4201770

>>4201745
Then why not get creative with the old settings and selectively downplay, replace or reconstruct the old tropes selectively?

>modern fantasy being original
Oh yeah, that.

>> No.4201777

I thought it was good enough to buy the second (which I still haven't read). It was like a post-Armageddon First Law Trilogy with a teenage protagonist, it had a similar sense of humour and Jorg was like a combination of a few FL characters.
So yeah, 6/10. Might read the second one tonight.