[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 68 KB, 219x324, World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4178200 No.4178200 [Reply] [Original]

Opinions?

I personally really liked it, and I think it's the definitive zombie experience.

To bad the movie shat on it.

>> No.4178203

>>4178200
*Too

Retarded mistake, sorry.

>> No.4178210

NEver saw the movie.

But I did enjoy the fact that it concentrated more on how human beings would deal with a crisis of this sort, rather than just being about slicing heads off.

Probably the best book to come out of the zombie craze, but boy am I glad that is behind us.

>> No.4178223

>>4178200
It was awful, unlike the Guide. Boring, unoriginal, uninventive, derivative, badly paced. I haven't seen the movie, but I doubt even Hollywood can be more pointless than the WWZ book.

>> No.4178226

>>4178223
>Unoriginal
>Boring

I really hope you're being sarcastic.

>> No.4178235

Really pretty entertaining. I agree with >>4178210, zombies are getting a way too overplayed now.

The movie was also sorta ok, but completely unrelated to the book. Also there's a funny scene where Israel has built a huge wall around Jerusalem to stop the zombies. Some Palestinians and Israelis gather to sing songs together as a sign of solidarity in this extreme situation. The sound of the microphone attracts the zombies, causing them to climb over the wall by making huge piles, climbing over each other and attacking the city. It looked so dumb and fake, I don't really know what they were thinking. It was in the trailer too. But I think the lesson is zombies will rise before Israel and Palestine are at peace.

>> No.4178247

>>4178235
I think that scene was supposed to be saying the zombies are a force of nature or animals, because in the intro they show ants doing the exact same thing

Also, this book came out in 2006, the 'Zombie craze' was just starting, or hadn't started.

>> No.4179207

>>4178200
I found the characters to be flat and their stories to be very contrived and poorly thought out

I will agree that the movie shat on it, I would have preferred a faux documentary film about the Zombie war

>> No.4181170

One of the best books I've read in recent years

>> No.4181213

One of the plot threads in the book that could have been better fleshed out was the girl and her family who trekked north to avoid the zombies in winter. The desperation, the child's perspective, the implied cannibalism.

>> No.4181222

>the definitive pleb experience

zombies have been done to death already

>> No.4181257

Anyone who really likes this book should not be allowed on /lit/.
Yes, it is that bad.
Pop culture hunger games bullshit blah blah blah

>> No.4181269

It was all right, but the zionism was a little much. I'm the polar opposite of your typical mouthbreathing /pol/tard but having chapter after chapter about how the Israelis so magnanimously protect their ungrateful Palestinian vassals started to grate. Not to mention the idea that Apartheid is what ultimately saves the planet; it's pretty clear what Max Brooks's politics are w/r/t to the Palestinian conflict and it isn't pretty.

>> No.4181296

>>4181269

This. It spoiled it, it spoiled it totally. The chapter wherein the Islamic character see's the Jewish infighting and suddenly falls in love with Israel is Inglorious-Bastards level Jewish wet dream.

Other then that, and as someone else stated the pretty flat characters, it was interesting enough.