[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 19 KB, 400x600, College.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4159423 No.4159423[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/, I haven't see one of these in a while:

College/University Threads?

>The college/university you attend.
>What do you study (also include whether it's a BA, BS, MS, MA, PhD, etc)
>Thesis Ideas/Interests/What you're working on?
>Classes you're taking.

>> No.4159438

Sociology/Urban Studies graduate student at Temple University. Currently working with extremely little grant money in order to study inner city child rearing practices (breastfeeding rates in particular). I am a professors assistant for a Research Design and Methods class, for which I teach 2 labs. I am also interested in demography, pronatalist policy in particular.

>> No.4159737
File: 1.49 MB, 2112x2816, Friedrich_Nietzsche_drawn_by_Hans_Olde.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

University of Minnesota
Computer Science and Math
I am currently trying to use neural networks to gamble on sports

>> No.4159798
File: 36 KB, 400x300, 180099.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Portland State
>Arts & Letters/Social Science BA
>Deconstructing the dichotomy of Utopia/Dystopia. Bridging Continental Philosophy and Symbolic Iintercationism
>Social Anthro, Art, & Norsk

>> No.4159809

>Virginia Tech
>Electrical Engineering
>Electrical Engineering shit/programming
>Electrical Engineering classes/programming

I like books too, unfortunately I basically never have time to read so I come on here and troll people about books I've never read

>> No.4159832

>>4159438
>inner city child rearing practices

Why waste your time?

Dumb niggers don't breastfeed.
White people are to blame. We should kill white people.

>implying you don't actually believe this

>> No.4159864

>University of Melbourne
>BA majoring in English
>I just like to play video games and masturbate, I'm a no-hoper and a youth allowance parasite
>Some bullshit on Derrida and some other bullshit on Asian cinema

>> No.4159873

Recent graduates permitted?

>St. John's College, Santa Fe
>BA in Liberal Arts, double major in history of mathematics and science/philosophy, double minor in classical studies and comparative literature
>I wrote my senior thesis on the poetry and prose of Wallace Stevens
>Not taking any more classes, sadly :(

>> No.4159874

>>4159737
what you are looking for are Bayesian inference networks, not neural nets

>> No.4159877

>>4159423
I currently attend Bevill State Community college in west Alabama, and I plan to transfer to the University of Alabama. I'm not sure why, really. I'm an English major because I honestly can't do anything else. All I seem to do is smoke pot, play Magic, and read me some books. So yeah.

>> No.4159883
File: 11 KB, 645x773, 1380411778655.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4159423
>College/university you attend
East Tennessee State University

>What do you study?
Double major: Corportate Finance and Investments (B.B.A.) and Economics (B.A.)

>Thesis Ideas/Interests/what are you working on?
Not working on a thesis, but what I am working on is actually an application for St John's University in Annapolis, MD. Planning on transferring there next year, and the application process is mainly writing (about 7-10 pages) about a specific time in your life, a book that influenced you, and why you want to go to St John's (among a few other things).

>Classes you're taking.
Stupid freshman classes, so Intro to Philosophy (my favorite so far), History of Jazz, Statistics, Argumentation and Debate, and Astronomy.

I am ready to leave

>> No.4159887

>>4159873
>St John's College (Santa Fe)
Oh wow, I know it's not the Annapolis one, but did you like it? This is me (>>4159883) and I really want to go there next year, is it worth the price?

>> No.4159921

>>4159423
Some university in Istanbul
Business Administration
Trying to be a film director
Business shit and pyschology

>> No.4159934

University of Toronto
Finishing up History BA
Hoping to go to grad school, REALLY hoping to go into Philosophy of History so I don't have to write monographs on how Dutch merchants wore their hats like THIS and German merchants wore their hats like THIS. Trying to publish some stuff before I hit grad but that's a pipe dream.
>Classes you're taking.
Thankfully no more Humanities/Philosophy/Lit stuff, just "History of.." courses that allow me to forage within my field and read other shit on my own time.

>> No.4159937
File: 160 KB, 900x580, tfwviking.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4159423
>University of Utrecht
>History (currently BA)

>University of Amsterdam
>Political Sciences (BA)

You want fries with that sir?

Hoping to be an Ambassador/Diplomat in Iceland or something

>> No.4159942

ba in translation and interpreting, working atm in the field(tehnical not literary)
probably will pursue masters for a field in which I want to translate exclusively in the future like law

>> No.4159986

>>4159887
I went to Annapolis for my freshman year and then transferred to Santa Fe. Ended up falling in love with the desert and decided to stay. It's the same program so it doesn't really make a difference which campus you go to. There are minor differences in the reading lists, but the idea is the same. I enjoyed the laid-back feel of Santa Fe more than the pretentiousness I found in Annapolis, but then again, Annapolis was the reason I fell in love with St. John's in the first place. If you do go I highly recommend transferring for a year or two.

St. John's is the best thing that ever happened to me. Despite the difficulty, pain, struggle, and tears, I look back on my four years there with so much love. I would trade everything to do it all over again, to be 18 and discovering philosophy in Annapolis...

Do it. Go. Be ready for an insanely isolated and unique culture that will both cut you off from the outside world and make you appreciate that world more than you ever thought possible. Be ready for weirdos, losers, basket cases, cigarettes, booze...the list goes on. Go there for the experience and remember that everything else is secondary to the Program. It will make you a better person. Never look back and stick it out despite all your instincts to run away.

>> No.4159989

>>4159887
By the way, it is worth the price. I was very lucky to have a huge price break because of my family's financial situation (the school is great with aid, they WANT you to be there), but even if I wasn't so lucky I wouldn't regret it. The degree allows you to be anything. I promise you'll find a way to pay it off after you graduate. People who know about St. John's will respect you, and you'll find yourself in situations that you wouldn't expect.

>> No.4160005

>>4159986
>>4159989
Thanks, I really want to go there and I think I'm definitely going to do it. It sounds like it would probably be a pretty decent background if I'm wanting to go into something like law right? Maybe?

>> No.4160019

>>4160005
Absolutely. Johnnies make great lawyers. The school trains you to critically and think critically, plus you'll have a philosophic background that your peers would lack.

>> No.4160024

>>4160019
Yea I kind of figured as much. I'm going home in one week for fall break and have got to pitch the idea to the parents, though their acceptance isn't needed, it will certainly make the whole process easier. I feel like I just rushed my whole college decision and just went with the school that offered me money. I appreciate it man, hopefully I'll be there next August.

>> No.4160027

Heriot-Watt University
MA Economics
Currently writing an essay about why the "peak oil" theory is utter bullshit
>Classes you're taking.
This semester I am taking: Advanced Macro Economics, Advanced Econometrics, Energy and natural resource economics, Financial intermediation

>> No.4160029

>University of Melbourne
>BA in Linguistics and Philosophy
>Planning to start a Master's of Teaching in 2015
>If I do a dissertation I'd probably want to look at literacy education, media theory and logic, or something like that
>Currently taking: Modal logic, Syntax, Sociolinguistics, Semantics

>> No.4160031

>>4159864

>Uni of Melbourne

My nigga. What's the English major like? Linguisticsfag here.

>> No.4160046 [DELETED] 

>staying in education past the age of 14
>not becoming a heroin addicted trumpet relying on handouts from the government and jazz enthusiasts
>shigdigdiggy

>> No.4160049

>>4160046

>hurr I'ma drop out
>hurr I'ma be just like Michael Gira

>> No.4160058

university of helsinki
bs in math
working on my minor as I'm done with the math courses for now.
introduction to economics, microeconomics, english for scientists, data structures and algorithms

>> No.4160075

Comp sci and English lit combined M.A. at Glasgow. Did a sonnet the other day

>> No.4160087

>>4159423
>>The college/university you attend.
USC

>>What do you study (also include whether it's a BA, BS, MS, MA, PhD, etc)
Working on my masters in materials engineering

>>Thesis Ideas/Interests/What you're working on?
Not too sure yet unfortunately. I need to start panning it out though.

>>Classes you're taking.
Crystals and Anisotropy, Diffusion and Phase Equilibria, Basics of Atomistic Simulation of Materials, and Mechanical Behavior of Engineering Materials.

>> No.4160105

>>4159809
How do you like Virginia Tech's electrical engineering program? I was going to go there, but decided on CU Boulder for my undergrad work instead (mostly because I enjoy rock climbing). I've heard they have some really good programs and my father did his undergraduate work in mechanical engineering there.

>> No.4160106

>>4160058
Ei vitun burgeri.

>> No.4160130
File: 165 KB, 996x832, spudro murrika.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4160106
ebin ::::::::::DDDDDDDDDDDD

>> No.4160145

>second-tier UK university
>Environmental Economics MSc.
>I expanded a game theoretical model of tropical deforestation
>I'm currently studying for the GRE, TOEFL for my PhD applications and waiting for my thesis results

>> No.4160148

>>4160106
>>4160130
Please cease this childish display at once, this board is for serious discussion of Literature and other related fields of Humanities only.

>> No.4160157
File: 13 KB, 240x181, fugit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4160148
shud up nerd :DDDD

>> No.4160167

I'm a graduate now but I'm becoming interested in language. Primarily, I'm interested in the way language is used to affect behaviour and its wider relevance in philosophy and psychology. I studied Philosophy of Language at University but found that, as with most philosophy courses, it didn't seem to relate to the real-world very much (i.e. the effects you can see).

What Post-Grad course would /lit/ advise I take to follow-up on this? I was thinking Communications.

>> No.4160172

>>4160167

I'd just look for the right department in philosophy of language. UC Berkeley, Cambridge and Edinburgh are strong.

>> No.4160186

>>4160167

Depends on what you want to do. If you want more real-world stuff, linguistics might be a good option.

Which philosophers of language did you get the most out of in your Philosophy course?

>> No.4160237

Yale.

Combined PhD.

The long "modern" period, 19th century visual culture, techniques of knowledge, early writings on the cinema, history of screens, philosophy of art, contemporary media theory, the 'turn' to phenomenology in film and media studies.

Collage through the 20th Century
Problems and methods in film studies
Problems and methods in the history of art
Sound studies
American nature (history of observation and naturalism in Empire)

>> No.4160239

>>4159874

Thanks bro, I will look into it

>> No.4160261

>>4159423

Queensland University of Technology
Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Mathematics
Working on my walk with god mostly
Your general physics and mathematic classes.

hmu brisbane people

>> No.4160286

Stevens Institute of Technology
BS/Chemical Engineering
Too lazy to fill the rest out

>> No.4160294

Erasmus University Rotterdam
Tax Law BA and Public Administration BA
I'm learning how to fraud and how to sell it to the public.

>> No.4160302

San Diego State University

Getting my MA in philosophy.

Also studying French, but that's more of a persona decision.

>> No.4160312

>University of Aberdeen
>MEng Engineering

Engineering's crap

>> No.4160320

all these stem majors,no wonder /lit/ is full of /pol/ related bullshit and men whining about not getting pussy

>> No.4160321

>>4159986

>tfw I will never go to an elite liberal arts college that is in its beautiful own bubble in the middle of the country side and where the students don't get graded and you're guaranteed a great job and the place is a sexfest

>> No.4160327

Université Paris-Sud Orsay
Première année de médecine
I enjoy literature, league of legends, a paced lifestyle and smart pretty girls
I take a lot of difficult, boring classes, but it'll be worth it

And I shouldn't be here

>> No.4160334

>>4160327
>orsay
>pas descartes ou upmc
savoure bien ta fac de merde mon pote

>> No.4160338

Guys, I guess this is a good topic for asking this.

>live in city of 200 k
>had to go to uni while living at home because of money
>can do final year masters at cambridge or imperial for £23 k (I need 10 k of loans)
>or can do it at current uni for nothing

What do? It'd give me better job prospects (it's STEM) but I'm still not sure. Would the americans on here say yes, seeing as they're used to be being buttfucked by debt

>> No.4160346
File: 298 KB, 600x600, Lorenz_attractor.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Universidad de la República, Uruguay

Trying to get a bachelor's degree in statistics as well as one in math. They're separate degrees here; while you can get the bachelor's degree in math and focus in statistics and probability, the degree in stats is less-theory based and more into real-life solutions to real-life problems.

I have no clue at all. The most advanced class I've taken so far is multi-variable calculus and I enjoyed the hell out of it, especially the little topology we studied.

>Classes you're taking.
Multi-variable calculus, discrete math (combinatorics and graph theory) and intro to programming.

Pic related, have a Lorenz attractor, /lit/

>> No.4160347

>>4160338
I'm from continental Europe, and I would take 10k debt in exchange for a Cambridge master. Seriously, it doesn't get any better than that academics-wise.

>> No.4160349

>>4160338

What's the disparity between Cambridge/Imperial and your local uni in your field of study? I've found that this is worth considering.

>> No.4160354

>>4160320
Internet--especially forums like 4chan/Reddit--are heavily biased toward STEM. I'm a little unsure why.

IRL, at least at so-called 'elite' universities, there are plenty of humanities people landing excellent jobs. The catch, of course, is that you absolutely need to be at one of these places in order to get such jobs. Anyway, my point is--many of us are simply not present/active/interested in 4chan/Reddit. In my departments I am anomalous in that I use social media regularly.

>> No.4160357

>>4160334
Je sais
Mais on est aussi bien classé que Descartes à l'ECN et l'ambiance est sympa so wutevs blud

>> No.4160358

>>4160354

Hard to say. It might just be that us arts folk are less apt to declare ourselves as such than scientists.

>> No.4160371

>>4160354

It seems like STEM people are more likely to be outcasts, and those are the people who tend to visit this site. This site is also male dominated and STEM is heavily male. What's wrong with STEM majors?

>> No.4160376

>>4160358

Most art folks probably can't afford computers

>> No.4160379

>>4159937
hey

>University of Amsterdam
>Philosophy BA

Now taking Philosophy of Science, not liking it. Will be taking ancient philosophy in a few months.

>> No.4160382

>>4160371
Nothing is 'wrong' with STEM majors, per se. But in the US, at least, there is a popular (mis)conception that STEM material is "useful" while the broader liberal arts is "fluff." This is, obviously, rather silly. Unfortunately, neoliberal ideology/capitalist drive to commodify encourages purely functional thinking, and what passes for media in this country simply exists to drum up controversy.

>>4160358
If this is true (and it may well be) then that is part and parcel of the above. For example, I openly declare my affiliations (Film Studies and History of Art) and am often asked to justify the "taxpayer funding useless shit."

I then proceed to explain that the taxpayer isn't paying me a dime, and then enumerate some of the research my departments have done (which has dramatically modified our understanding of certain historical periods, developments of practices in optics and the natural sciences, as well as the philosophy of science). Tends to shut people up quickly enough.

>> No.4160388

>>4160376

That's witty stuff, right there.

>> No.4160391

>>4160382

The problem is most liberal arts people are not smart enough for STEM. If you go to an elite college fine, but 99% of liberal arts majors are retarded

>> No.4160393

>>4160391

Is that really so? I had no idea.

>> No.4160398

>>4160391
I wouldn't say 99%, but I do agree that outside the top 15-20 universities and colleges, both humanities and science education is quite retarded.

Having come from a USNWR ~90-120 college and then gone to two USNWR ~1-5 institutions, the difference is very stark.

>> No.4160400

>>4160382
>and am often asked to justify the "taxpayer funding useless shit."

You have a much better temper than I do. I wouldn't bother with the sort of insolent, anti-intellectual cunts that would even ask questions like that.

>> No.4160401

>>4160391
>Most liberal arts people are not smart enough for STEM
I highly disagree. I think you'd be hard pressed to even begin to attempt to prove this. I'm in philosophy now and my "STEM" friends can't even begin to conceive most philosophy literature that I've had to read. They all think they're "smarter than Hume," that " Wittgenstein is a retard," etc. But then purport that their ability to memorize formulas, yet their lack of critical thinking somehow makes them smarter.

Not to say that all STEM majors are like this, but here in the South it's exactly like this.

>> No.4160405

>>4160398

My university is one of the best in Australia. I have no way to tell whether that means it's a shitty one, a good one, or somewhere in the middle by the standards of the Oxbridge/MIT/Harvard patricians on /lit/.

>> No.4160408

>>4160398

But with STEM they at least have to work hard to learn the same material. With the liberal arts you can kinda bullshit.

>>4160401

You have a point, some of them are just human calculators. I took a philosophy class once and there was this girl who I thought was the dumbest person I had ever met. She talked all the time and her arguments made no fucking sense, flash forward one year and she is in a few of my maths classes and she pull good grades. She isn't smart she can just memorize formulas.

I guess the moral of the story is if you go to a shit school like me most people are retarded

>> No.4160410

>>4160398
>>4160405
>>4160391
Is St John's high(ish) tier for liberal arts?

>>4159986
>>4160321

I'm thinking about going there next year

>> No.4160412

>>4160321
You're not graded at St. John's? Count me in! Grades stress me out so much. St. John's guy, can you attest to this? Are there really no grades?

>> No.4160413

>>4160408
>With the liberal arts you can kinda bullshit.

Not at my uni you can't. Stop generalizing based on your shitty institution.

>mfw I run into a kid that dropped out of my high school in year 10 on the train
>he tells me it's important to fail philosophy, I must be really dumb
>welp okay then

>> No.4160416

>University of Antioquia (Colombia)
>Undergrade in psychology.
>Organizational psychology & cultural studies
>Fundamentals of Psychoanalysis; Fundamentals of Psychobiology; Cognitive Processes I; Psychological Schools (Dinamic, Experimental & Humanist); Social Sciences Theory.

>> No.4160419

>>4160408
>if you go to a shit school like me, most people are retarded
I know this feel anon, I know it all too well. This is me (>>4160410, >>4159883) and it's terrible. There is a redneck in my intro to philosophy class named Kevan (yes, Kevin but with an "a" not an "i") and anytime we discuss god (which was our first topic, ontological argument, cosmological argument, teleological, etc. Aquinas, Anselm, etc) and whenever the "problem of evil" is brought up,he starts yelling out bullshit about freewill (even in the cases of natural evil and not that created by agents) let's just say he's a very verbose redneck, and he's not alone.

>>4160412
No, I don't think that's true. My friend attends St John's in Annapolis and he says you don't get many grades, but I believe you do get graded on essays and class participation,

>no tests
>no quizzes
>no homework
just intelligent discourse/discussion and lots of reading and paper writing

>> No.4160420

>>4160400
There are some I don't bother with. I choose the conversations.

>>4160405
I don't know much outside US/Europe (and Canada), sorry.

>>4160408
You're welcome to try and bullshit at the graduate level. Most programs comparable to mine lose roughly 65% of their students between entrance and defence. There's a reason.

>>4160410
The good St. John's (not the one in Queens, NYC) is fantastic. I know many from there at top departments in various disciplines.

>> No.4160422

>>4160416
>Humanist)

Humanistic psychology is cool as fuck. If they taught it at my uni I might not have changed to linguistics.

>> No.4160427

>>4160419

Good luck transferring bro, I should have done that after my freshman year. Now I am a jaded senior that hates this institution and all the students. I am taking a philosophy class for gen ed credits and it is like pulling teeth with these retards

>> No.4160443
File: 110 KB, 650x568, Gym-teacher-school-picture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>University of Manchester
>Bsc Mathematics (gonna switch to MMaths)
>I'm interested in Galois theory but gotta wait 2 years for the course (in 2nd year)
>Real and complex analysis, PDE's and vector calculus, Probability 2, Algebraic Structures (Group Theory)

>> No.4160445

>>4160419
The St. John's system is worse than getting graded. We do "don rags," which is where you sit down in front of all of your tutors and they critique you for an hour.

>> No.4160448

>>4160445
Oh shit I just looked that up. What exactly is it?

>> No.4160453

>>4160448
It is what it sounds like. During your freshman and sophomore years you aren't (really) allowed to speak until your tutors finish talking, and then you're given the opportunity to respond to their objections. During your junior and senior years you switch to a kind of Maoist self-criticism session where you talk about what you think your own failings were and how much you think you've learned in the Program.

>> No.4160455

>>4160453
Oh wow. What kind of stuff do they critique? Is it ever good? It sounds, ostensibly at least, like it would be a good thing. How often do they occur?

>> No.4160460

>>4160422
We only take 5 weeks in that module, then there is another class called "Humanist school" and an elective called "Art-therapy" wich just started this semester. My Uni has is madly psychoanalisis biased, apart from that, Analytic, Humanist, Dinamic, Cognitive & others are kind of weak; you have to study much more on your own to have a decent knowledge.

>changed to linguistics

Awesome man. I'm currently working with some students of Philology in a study about modernity. It may not be completely formal, but is fun as fuck.

>> No.4160461

I'm kind of surprised by the amount of science majors and non-Americans. I'd kind of assumed /lit/ had a bunch of Ivy League social science undergrads.

>Boston University
>Double English/Economics major
>No thesis
>Critical Theory, American Poetry, Gender Studies (ughh), Astronomy

>> No.4160462

>>4160455
It depends, but it almost always centers on your diligence in class and as a student. Your mastery of Greek/French is also a big deal, depending on which tutor you have for Language. I got off pretty well, but a lot of people start crying their first time through. It happens twice a year.

>> No.4160468

>>4160462
Only twice a year? Huh, that doesn't sound too bad. I take it that if you participate in dialogue a lot in class and make an active effort to complete your readings and learn the material you will do well in the don rag? I had to do a similar thing, for one class, in high school (private school) where we ha to sit down with our teacher and they went through our papers, knowledge of the subject, etc and I feel like I did pretty well. People cried? What the hell, how tough can it be??

>> No.4160473

>>4160468
St. John's is extremely difficult, especially if you plan on entering as a January Freshman, which I suggest you do.

>> No.4160480

>>4160473
>Especially if you plan on entering as a January Freshman
I would, but I don't want to do Santa Fe (not in the least bit) so I think I have to wait until next year. I don't want to come across as conceited, but I feel like I'm extremely well equipped/prepared to do St Johns. My high school was a lot tougher than most, and I took the hardest classes I possibly could, and I know two people from my school who currently attend and all they've really told me is that it's really fun (one is a freshman, the other a junior) and that they love it.

Don Rags? Let's go bitch, I got this.

>> No.4160484

Some French University of psychology.

>What do you study
Enrolled in second year of a Master of Research (no idea what is the american equivalent). Serves to prepare a doctorate (Ph.D.).

>Thesis
I'm doing a thesis on resistance to organizational change (to put it simply). It's actually really interesting.

>Classes you're taking.
At this point, I don't really have classes anymore.

>> No.4160487

>University of Kentucky
>B.B.A. Finance, B.S. Economics, Minor in International Business
>the effects of financial incentives on students' standardized test scores
>I graduated in May, now I'm studying for actuarial exams

>> No.4160499
File: 51 KB, 500x334, 1373079655565.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Smith College. I'm undecided, but considering a double-major in government and French studies.

>> No.4160500
File: 164 KB, 1350x900, dune.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Willem de Kooning (art) Academy
>BD (Bachelor of Design) , Graphic Design
>Nothing specific
>Advanced typography, Fabric design, Lithography

CMD+F = Graphic Design. Zero results. Shame.

>> No.4160505

>>4160499
Hey ;)

What's your favorite book?

>> No.4160513

>all deez indentured servants

i wouldn't mind going to college but it pretty much boxes in your brain and has you only concerned with moneymaking and not real actual problems that need to be addressed. everyones too busy stroking off to themselves to see where the world is going and where it already is. it needs to change and college teaches you to not do that, just worry about your money while we turn the world into hell.

>> No.4160528

>>4160505
Kind of a predictable answer on /lit/, but I'd have to say Lolita. That or Eugene Onegin.

You?

>> No.4160532

>>4160500
what's a good graphic design book/textbook?

>> No.4160536

>>4160398

Unless you plan on becoming an academic, the uni/program doesn't matter so much as the connections. Ex: Stanford for tech startups, Ivy League for business, etc.

>> No.4160538

>>4160528
Suttree or Lolita.

Out of curiosity, why Smith?

>> No.4160542

>>4160532
I would recommend Jan Tschichold's The New Typography & Josef Müller-Brockmann's Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung.

>> No.4160545

>>4160536

and the best schools have the best connections

>> No.4160561

>>4160538
Damn, I need to read McCarthy's work.

I'm still not sure myself. I always wanted to go to a liberal arts school, but Smith didn't come up on my radar until late in junior year. Eventually I visited it and decided, hey, I like this place. The five college consortium's a plus, too.

>> No.4160573

>>4160391
I'm a liberalartsfag gone STEM and I have a 3.8 GPA, honors, scholarships, etc. It really only comes down to effort if you don't naturally have the chops to do math. Your assumption is ego masturbation typical of Reddit/4chan STEMfags.

Liberal arts programs generally have more retards, but I'll take mid-tier humanitiesfags over mid-tier STEMfags ANY day. High-tierfags in either departments are equally interesting, though.

>> No.4160581

>>4160573

I disagree. I am not saying all libartsfags are retarded, outside of the top universities I will take STEM majors over liberal arts majors. I do agree that at the top level both will be equally smart. I just think at the average university ill take STEM over liberal arts, that's not to say all STEM majors are geniuses

>> No.4160590

>University of IL in Urbana-Champaign
>BA in English, graduated
>Working on becoming a copywriter
>Intro to programming, HTML/XHTML/CSS, creative writing at community college

>> No.4160594

>>4160581
I've just found that mid-tier STEMfags are more likely to be mediocre people with no hobbies outside of video games and Reddit. Unless they're Nigerian. At least the Nigerians go clubbing. Whereas mid-tier humanitiesfags are at least interested in literature, music, art, and (somewhat into) philosophy. Sure, some of them are annoying with things like identity politics, but at the end of the day I can have a meaningful conversation with them, have fun with them, etc.

Low-tier liberal arts students are garbage, though. Just idiots who have no academic interest and are majoring in the most low-stress, low-effort major they could find. Shouldn't be in college.

I realize these are all huge generalizations, though, before anybody feels the need to point this out.

>> No.4160613

Oakland University, some shit tier state school
BS in Actuarial Science with minors in Math and Finance
Don't need to do a thesis
Multivariable Calculus, Macro economics, Managerial Finance, and Statistics.
Thinking of adding on a math major, but it's not really necessary. Thinking of graduate school, maybe a phd in Algebraic geomerty?

>> No.4160632

>>4160594

Why is philosphy/literature/polititcs a better hobby than reddit/video games? I think we are both making broad bullshit generalizations anyway, I have seen liberal arts people that only like the plebiest shit

>> No.4160707

>>4160632
>Why is philosphy/literature/polititcs a better hobby than reddit/video games?

this shouldn't even be a question

>> No.4160708

Univ. of Texas at Arlington
BS Economics
Not interested in the subject
Took the semester off

I'll probably end up in Operations Management if I go back, which is the study of production and distribution of goods and services. I already work for a distribution company on the ground. Maybe I could get an office job with the same people.

To be honest, I'm enjoying my time off immensely. I read more than I have in a long time. I work part-time for pocket money. I built a raised bed garden out of scrap I found. I research what I want. I sit and simply think without the pressures of deadlines and test scores.

>> No.4160718

>>4160632
The claim is about conversation and friendship not about the worth of hobbies. Video games are mostly behaviorist masturbation systems, and reddit is basically a digital version of Uncle John's bathroom reader. The first can't really be talked about, it has to be experienced, and the second is deathless, so it quickly exhausts its charm. (Think of a person saying, did you know.... for an hour or two.) You can play video games with other people, but unless the person has some virtues as a person, it's about as good as playing with a body pillow that talks and eats half the pizza.

>> No.4160721
File: 11 KB, 250x327, lordbyron.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>The University of Edinburgh
>MA, English Literature
>The epistemological perspectives of the second-wave Romantics; Blake, the 'fall of man' and the search for a new 'Adamic' language; the influence of Juvenal on Byron's satire

>> No.4160722

>>4159986
What about the debt? St. Johns is very expensive.

>> No.4162006

>>4160499
My wife is a Smithie.

I'm the Yalie in the thread earlier.

>> No.4162010

>>4160536
I do plan on becoming an academic, but connections are precisely what the top institutions provide. Which just reinforces my earlier point. Besides, I assumed everyone here was at the graduate level (a mistake on my part, apologies).

>> No.4162017

University of Texas
BA English
Not sure of thesis
20th century short story and The Poetry of Milton

>> No.4162044

>>4159423
UNC Asheville
Lit and Econ. I plan on going to law school afterwards

>> No.4162074

>Harold Washington College (a community college of Chicago)
>Associate's in Computer Information Systems
>Propaganda and theory for the anarchist space in Chicago, which more or less hasn't done anything new since the birth of the Love & Rage Federation in 1993-1994
>Bullshit intro to computers thing taught by a 70 year old, bullshit intro to humanities thing taught by a very attractive Latina socialist (who is, sadly, a lesbian, I think), and this "Reacting to the Past" class that is basically a massive historical roleplaying game centered around the foundations of Western philosophical thought (especially in regard to the moral foundations of liberal democracy, and so I overwhelmingly try to take an antagonistic position)

>> No.4162080

University of Victoria, Wellington
Ex-Linguistics major, now Software Engineering major.

Current courses: Discrete Mathematics, Data Structures & Algorithms II, Statistics, Software Modelling

>> No.4162086

emory univ
no clue really- thinking about an econ+phil double major, because i'm too much of a pussy (afraid of the job market) to just do philosophy..

taking calc, german, intro to ethics, chemistry (fulfilling graduation reqs, its my freshman year)

>> No.4162163

>>4162080
I'm thinking of transferring down there to do Linguistics and Japanese (if everything goes as planned). Did you dislike it?

>> No.4162233

> Eastern Kentucky University
> English Literature, focus on English Medieval lit and Appalachian lit.
> My thesis was over war trauma and the idea of masculinity in In Our Time / the Nick Adams stories. Mostly between Nick and Harold Krebs.
> Alumni, so no classes. Took a Chaucer class that was fantastic, as well as a Kentucky Lit course.

>> No.4162289

>>4162074
Sympathies :\ I'm familiar with that place (I was at UChicago for my MA). Any chance for transfers in your future?

>>4162086
Good place, horrible administration/politics.

>> No.4162300

University of Leuven, now temporary at the University of Groningen

MA in Dutch literature & linguistics

A work on silence in religious orders

>Classes you're taking.
All the ones necessary to get my degree but I also follow extra Arabic lessons.

>> No.4162302

Universität Regensburg
Mathematics BA
Nothing yet
Algebra I, Analysis I and probably Economics.

I´m 23

>> No.4162306

>University
Queens University Belfast
>Studying
B.A English and film studied
>Interests
Mostly Renaissance drama
>Classes
Postcolonial cinema, cinema & music, Shakespeare on screen

>> No.4162313

> London School of Economics
> BA in Geography

> Invisible Cities 2: The economic boogaloo

> Economy, Society and Space - Introduction to Global Development - Urban and Spatial Economic Analysis I

>> No.4162314

Just wondering, I notice lots of you studying arts and literature related studies. What do you plan to do once you graduate?

>> No.4162317

>>4162314
I'm >>4162300

Either I become a Dutch teacher in Belgium or the Netherlands, or I join the Belgian army as an officer (requires a masters degree).

>> No.4162320

Leiden University
Ba Philosophy, MA philosophy, ResMa Arts and Culture
Relations between natural sciences, social sciences, and geisteswissenschaften. Currently working on rehabilitating memetics into something usefull, as well as working my way through Dewey's Art as Experience
>Classes you're taking.
Pragmatism,
Warburg and the Weimarrepublic

>> No.4162322

>>4162314
Teach, most likely. Univerity or high school depends on whether or not I can get myself a phd position

>> No.4162324

>>4162317

work as a barista lel

but probably kill myself

>> No.4162328

>>4160261
UQ physics over here

>> No.4162332

>so many dutchmen

>> No.4162336

>>4162332
That explains the underlying /r9k/ vibe this board has started to get.

>> No.4162344

>>4162306
Have a friend there. Interesting place but zero prospects for graduate admissions afterward.

>>4162314
All but three of our graduates over the past 10 years are in tenured/tenure-track positions, primarily at top-20 colleges/universities. Two of those three are at top national museums. Make of that what you will.

constant biedyne

>> No.4162346

>>4162336
how does that follow?

>> No.4162348

>>4162336
Do Dutchmen generally fit the /r9k/ stereotype? I know very little about the Dutch. Enlighten me here.

>> No.4162350

>>4162328
Ah nice, what year, and what suburb you living in?

>> No.4162356

>>4162348
>Do Dutchmen generally fit the /r9k/ stereotype?

Not the normalfags, but Dutch betas are some of the most obliviously bitter and pathetic people you'll ever encounter in your life. They're also probably largely to blame for the STEMfag bullshit on this board, because they love Dawkins and atheism and all of that shit. Just totally savage morons.

>> No.4162358

>>4162356
... wait-what? I don't recognize this at all and I've spend quite some time in and aroud the Delft student population.

>> No.4162359

>>4162356
Two days ago I visited the local Magic the Gathering shop because I wanted to try MTG. I was absolutely repulsed the pathethicness of the people there.

But normal Dutch people are very fun in my experience

>> No.4162364

>>4162356
The Dutch, overall, are atheistically inclined though. Even the religious ones. Don't think that has a lot to do with them being beta's or STEMcells, let alone that ridiculous generalization concerning Dohkins

>> No.4162367

>>4162302
Kevin, ich...

>> No.4162368 [DELETED] 

>>4162350
2nd and Kangaroo Point

>> No.4162369

The fuck you niggers talking, we dutch are secularized as fuck. We don't give a shit what you believe as long as you are not a terrorist.

>> No.4162370

>>4162348
they are tall, loud, and rude - which they consider to be a form of honesty. no real national quisine. have to talk and disuss any decision. always. complain about whether, complain about country, complain about food, complain about wheather, complain about the dutch, complain about the euro, complain about the wheather, complain about politicians, complain about the netherlands, complain some more. quite tolerant of abberant behaviour.

>> No.4162371

>>4162350
2nd West End Wbu?

>> No.4162373

>>4162369
A society so thouroughly drenched in secularism speaks for an aethistically- or atleast agnostically inclined popular mindset.

even the christian democrats are hardly theocrats. maybe SU and SGP and, ofcourse, Wilders is a zionist fuck.

>> No.4162376

>University of Nebraska - Lincoln
>Philosophy of Mind, Ancient Philosophy, Logic (Senior Philosophy Major)
>The Fatality of Materialism on Plato's theory of Nature/Function/Excellence from Protagoras, Republic, Gorgias.
> Ancient Philosophy, Advanced Topics Philosophy of Mind, Environmental Ethics, 19th Century European Existentialism, Ethical Theory.

>> No.4162380

vassar
urban studies ba
circuits of capital around mexico city
cities of the global south,post colonial politics,intro sociology,post war european history

>> No.4162387

UK UEA
Creative Writing w/ English Lit.
Currently writing a full length play, a screenplay, and a metric fuckton of short stories.
I'm in my second year, so we're still just doing the basic stuff - Shakespeare, modernism, etc. it's pretty fun though.

>> No.4162395

>>4162369
>implying
Yesterday I saw a dude running around in the city centre wearing a sign saying "jezus haat zondaars" and referencing bible verses. It was like WBC, light version.

>> No.4162399

>>4162395
So he must not be Dutch then, fucking foreigners ruining our beautifull polderscape

>> No.4162402

>>4162371
1st, also in West End. If you want to meet up in the least awkward way possible, I'd like that.

>> No.4162407

At least we can all agree that the Dutch are beta scum.

>> No.4162409
File: 30 KB, 634x487, chouten.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4162407
>men kan zo snel tot poldercompromissen komen

>> No.4162410

>>4162302
>>4162367
OTH Regensburg
BioMedEng BA
Nothing yet
FEM

Was lest ihr im Moment so?

>> No.4162412

>>4162407
Nope not all.

There's some truth behind the message 'dutch STEM betas are the most pathetic beings in the world. This has several reasons:

-Unlike the most western societies, STEM majors weren't hold in very high esteem. This was a normal movement,considering the nation's focus on trade instead of actual producing. However, recently there has been something known as a 'STEM-shortage'.

The result of this is that nerdy STEM-people get lots of over-confidence considering their intellect and importance.

Secondly, STEM's are by far not the best paid ones in The Netherlands. So a logical follow-up of this is that golddiggers generally don't study hardcore STEM studies, but things like dentistry. The result of this is that the STEM student population mostly consists of unsure betas.

This is all an inmense overgeneralization of course.

>> No.4162415

>>4162412
Sounds similar to what is happening in the US, actually.

>> No.4162424

>>4162412
That's funny because 'beta science' (bèta-wetenschappen) means 'STEM' in The Netherlands

>> No.4162430

>St Andrews
>MA International Relations
>blrlrblblrlbrt
>bullshit fresher classes

feels lonesome.

>> No.4162432

>>4162407
Flikker

>> No.4162435

>>4162424

and liberal arts means alpha?

>> No.4162441

>>4162435
Yes, though we speak with the Germans and call it geesteswetenschappen. Gamma would be socio-economical sciences.

>> No.4162442

>>4162435
Yes but there's also 'gamma science' which are the social sciences, economics and law

>> No.4162447

>>4162442
Rechten is gamma?

>> No.4162450

>>4162424
Better science?

>> No.4162452

>>4162447
I think so

>> No.4162453

>>4162447
>>4162452
Rechten(law) is indeed gamma.

>> No.4162454

>>4162453
well, I learned something today

>> No.4162469

Spent two years at Austin Peay State University. I'm out of school right now, but I studied English and History with minors in Classical Civilization and Sociology.

I plan to transfer into UNC Asheville soon.

My primary project has been a study of House of Leaves, primarily as it relates to the minotaur and the labyrinth. Borges has been coming up about as much as you'd expect

>> No.4162494

Harvard
English (BA)
Mostly just wrote fiction in my room

>> No.4162532

>>4160721
fellow University of Edinburgh fag here. what year are you in

also

BSc Infectious diseases
i am hoping to study variations in the influenza virus protein capsid and how it causes mortality rates like those seen during the Spanish flu.
microbiology stuff

>> No.4162562

>>4162494
Present student, or..?

>> No.4162589
File: 20 KB, 300x202, cale.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4162532

>i am hoping to study variations in the influenza virus protein capsid and how it causes mortality rates like those seen during the Spanish flu

Interesting. I'm in my fourth year, yourself?

>mfw sitting in the library watching people play quidditch and competitive frisby in the Meadows

>> No.4162590

>osgoode hall - Yorku
>law
> Privacy, IT and IP law are my focuses. Current project is a short story about a guy who's scared of heights and gets trapped on a rooftop.
>public law,contracts II, real estate and IP law

>> No.4162593

> Sarah Lawrence College
> Started Chemistry/Economics, moved into creative writing. B.A. w/(nearly) full ride
> Thesis work concerns news coverage of suicidals during the Great Recession
> Medieval Econ, Greco-Roman History, Nonfiction

>> No.4162603

Polytechnic Institute of NYU
BS Electrical Engineering

Anyone know where you can get free textbooks btw im taking a product development class and I need this book

http://www.amazon.com/New-Products-Management-Merle-Crawford/dp/0073404802

I got all my core classes books free but I cant find this one

>> No.4162607

>>4162603
>NYU for engineering

yikes.

>> No.4162618
File: 156 KB, 900x699, Parr Pisa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4162607

What's so wrong/right about that?

I'm a Brit, so I'm assuming that you're either deriding him for not attending an 'institute of technology' for engineering or else applauding him for attending a reputable university like NY.

Actually, that opens up a question I'm interested in. Which institutions have a significant international reputation for excellence? I mean, which European universities would Americans recognise as belonging to the upper-echelons, and vice versa.

Would you Yanks only credit Oxford, Cambridge and the Sorbonne? Or are places like LSE, UCL, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Bologna and Leiden known too?

>> No.4162624

>>4162618
>Leiden
That isn't better than any other dutch university m8.
(this doesn't imply that dutch universities are bad, they aren't|).

>> No.4162627

>LBSU
>Nursing, BS
>A collection o short stories entitled "Fuck you, John Green"
>nursing pre-reqs

>> No.4162632

>>4162607
NYU actually just bought Polytechnic Institute. So its an already established school and from what people tell me "full of history" I personally hate the place and live to see it burn

>> No.4162634

>>4159423
Universidad de Buenos Aires (Argentina).
Psychology (Idk what's the equivalent in murrica I think it's a M.Sc. or something like that)
Neuropsychology.
>>Classes you're taking.
Statistics, Psychopathology (Lacanian), Evolutive Psy (Lacanian too, mixed with some Piaget; It's actually two classes, one for adolescence and the other for childhood).

Here Psychoanlysis is still what it's most taught (Lacanian, Freudian, and maybe some Klein). It sucks for people that me who is interested in neuro.

>> No.4162635

>>4162624
It is better though. Also, isn't it, after Oxford, the oldest Uni in Europe?

>> No.4162637

>>4162635
I don't think that is true. I study in Uppsala and I know that is older than Leiden.

>> No.4162640

>>4162637
Right you are

>> No.4162642

>>4162634
>evolution + Lacan

How the fuck do they pull that one off?

>> No.4162645

UNISINOS - Universidade do Vale do Rio dos Sinos (A university in the southernmost state of Brazil)

Law

My graduation thesis, which scored a maximum A ;), was over the legal language in Shakespeare. The title was: The Law on the Work of William Shakespeare: the marriage between legal language and literary language.

>Classes you're taking.

I have already graduated

>> No.4162647

Macalester College
BA in Philosophy and English with a Critical Theory Concentration
Philosophy: phenomenology of religious experience
English: Yeats' system of metaphors in "A Vision"
>Classes you're taking.
Philosophy of Language, Darwin/Nietzsche/Freud, A Kafkaesque Century, Tearjerkers

>> No.4162648

>>4162632
So I shouldn't transfer there, then? Figured NYC would give me decent internships/job connects.

>> No.4162657

>>4162635

I think there's an Italian university which predates Oxford. Might be Bologna.

>> No.4162661

>Millikin University (Decatur, IL)
>Physics major, Music minor (Freshman undergrad)
>Writing poetry and Music. Reading, listening, performance, talking to people about life, physics, statistics.
>Orchestra, Bass Lessons, Calc I, U Phy I, English, U Seminar.

>> No.4162669

>>4162642

Well, it's not actually Evolutive Psy (as in the evolutionary approach, like the work of Lorenz, that branch isn't taught at all here) , it's just the name of the class (evolutive understand as 'developmental', or how the psyche changes through the years, according to Lacan)

>> No.4162671

>>4162624
Leiden has the highest international ranking of all the universities in The Netherlands, m8

>> No.4162676

Leiden University
BA in Philosophy
Nothing in particular
>Classes you're taking.
Metaphysics, Logic, Ethics, Philosophy of Culture, History of Modern Philosophy, Ancient Philosophy

>> No.4162678

>>4162648
I cant speak for the main campus but polytech has a graduation rate of 50% because people hate it so much. If you go there prepare to teach yourself every topic

>> No.4162693

>>4160416
fellow paisa, why are you studying that pleb-tier career? have you not seen the spanish philology courses? they are good

EAFIT Bourgeois scum studying Mathematical Engineering here.

>> No.4162697

>>4162589
between 2nd and 3rd year. i failed 2 exams so im taking them as exam only.

im assuming the quidditch is the harry potter society, which kind of fits as well considering Teviot looks like a tiny version of Hogwarts.

>> No.4162715

>>4162589
between 2nd and 3rd year. i failed 2 exams so im taking them as exam only.

im assuming the quidditch is the harry potter society, which kind of fits as well considering Teviot looks like a tiny version of Hogwarts.

>> No.4162729

>>4162678
>prepare to teach yourself every topic

Damn. I already do this, but it's probably not worth putting myself in debt to do this even more.

>> No.4162740

>Maastricht University
>LLM in International Economic Law
>Currently writing a paper on stare decisis in ICSID arbitration
>International investment law, international dispute settlement mechanisms

>> No.4162741

>>4162635
m8, my university, the university of Leuven (in Belgium), was founded in 1425. It doesn't get much older than that

>> No.4162752
File: 34 KB, 540x304, uni-bonn-540x304.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>University of Bonn (Germany)

>Economics (B.Sc.)

>Tax evasion (as a big current problem for western states)
Value investment (just taking a gander in investmentstrategies)

> Econometrics, Macroeconomy, Microeconomy, Banking (plus language courses in english french and chinese)

>> No.4162764

>>4162741

As someone said above, Bologna is the oldest university in continuous operation (1088). Leuven is still pretty old, of course, but it's not in the twenty five oldest.

>> No.4162770

>University of Washington
>Intend to double major in Computer Engineering and Accounting
>Im a freshman so I'm still kind of getting into the college groove
>Multivariable Calculus, Intro to Philosophy, Intro to Microeconomics

>> No.4162780

>>4162676
>those classes

How have the first few weeks of your academic career treated you?

>> No.4162785

>>4162780
you're right, these are my first weeks
enjoying it so far

>> No.4162817

>>4162785
are those classes your whole first year curriculum?
most dutch unis only let you take 2 classes in 2 months.

>> No.4162821

>>4160286
>Stevens
Nigger I go there. What year? I used to be ChemBio, but I switched majors.

>> No.4162942

>>4162817
LU Phil department does two semesters, divided in two blocks. Each course runs for a semester. First years have 12 classes (IIRC) the first year. 5 points each.

>> No.4162948

>>4162821
not him, but i'm thinking of transferring there. how the fuck do you pay for it?

>> No.4162953

>>4162314
Live.

(Not that it's a requirement to have a degree to do that)

>> No.4162961

>>4162948
I have so many grants it's crazy. I pay so much less than everyone else I know. And I'm pretty much throwing it all away by being a Philosophy major.

>> No.4162971

>>4162948
>>4162961
Also would highly recommend against transferring here, you won't be able to do the COOP program (school's only advantage), there are way too many fedoras and neckbeards, and most of the girls are fugly as hell (so like 8/12)

>> No.4162978

>>4162971
>you won't be able to do the COOP program

you sure? they seem to have specific meetings set up on their website for transfer students who are interested in it.

>> No.4162996

>>4162978
Maybe but it'd be very difficult. What year are you now?

>> No.4162999

>>4162996
sophomore looking to transfer this spring.

>> No.4163018

Emory
Freshman and I'm planning a Doctorate in History
Since I began writing at 7 I always used stream of consciousness style and my poetic structure is like Ginsberg's shorter works so I guess I'll study Modernism/Aesthetics
Two histories, one creative writing, one comparative lit

>> No.4163032
File: 34 KB, 640x427, counting%2Bmoney[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Ph.D in mathematics
>Any job I want
>300K starting

>> No.4163045

>>4162999
It'll be very difficult but they might be able to do it. They may make you graduate in fall.

>> No.4163071

>>4163032

>tfw I've seen people fall of that on /r9k/

>> No.4163099

>>4162785
Have you prepared your ear for Oudemaniacal mindrape yet?

>> No.4163104

Surprising amount of economics here.

I'm finishing off a Msc in Health Economics at a mediocre british university. My dissertation is on Rational addiction theory. The theory that junkys make an informed decision to become addicts as it is the rational option due to their past consumption and future consumption.It's an interesting theory, but overall is complete bollocks in the real world.

>> No.4163111

>The College of New Jersey

>BA English / Education

>I have no idea. I'm a Junior and I still don't know what the fuck I'm doing.

>Introduction to Language (joke throwaway course), Adolescent Psychology (joke throwaway course), Bakhtinian Theory (nobody in the class knows what's going on), Anthropology (mandatory librul learning requirement course)

>> No.4163187

>>4162618

I think domestic reputation matters, but not really international. The latter is kind of weird. For some places like Imperial College, people might have barely heard of it. Also some unis might be extra great at certain courses, but I doubt anyone outside the country would care.

>> No.4163242

>>4160718
How can you even try to argue that you can't talk about video games? Any game with a good campaign and story can be talked about as if it were a movie or book. The only difference is that it's you who has trouble at a certain level rather than a character who struggles during a specific part of a book.

And it's not even the video game or book preference that matters, but what video games and books you have in common with other people.

And it's not even an either/or thing. I read, I play video games, I play sports, I am a STEM major, and I have a girlfriend. I talk about different things depending on the interests of the people I'm around.

I judge people based on the variety of what their hobbies are, not necessarily on their hobbies themselves. If all they do is reddit and imgur, they are a pretty boring person. And if all they do is read, I doubt they would be much more exciting. The best people in my life are those who have balanced lives between multiple areas on interest - which allows for an exponentially higher possible number of conversations.

>> No.4163255

>>4159423
Don't know I am looking to go to school in germany through the NSA but if not I will go community to csulb
If I go to Germany I will do economics
If i finish my paper I will go into economics
if not any of that I will work for geophysical engineering as it allows me to travel and i enjoy nature and rocks and enginering
Currently I am in community college but i should be in high school so my attempt to write a paper now should be taken with a grain of salt. I am attempting to identify whether the business cycle effects individual majors.
>>Classes you're taking.

>> No.4163256

>>4159423
>Tusculum College
>Creative Writing/Political Science, B.A.
>Just a sophomore, but something about cultural relevance of myths & mythology in the modern day and the impact mass media has had on the creation and dissemination of mythic narratives
>Environmental Science (commons course), Journal Production (working on the Tusculum Review), Great Ideas in Science (Honors seminar course), and Economics.

>> No.4163285

>>4160398
What does this mean? I go to an Oxbridge reject uni in the UK (see if you can guess fellow britbongs) which is generally very highly regarded here, does very well on domestic rankings but shit on world rankings because they use different criteria.

Rankings are a bit retarded really.

>> No.4163291

>>4160536
In the UK, this is false. Not that connections aren't important, but still.

>> No.4163294

>>4163285
ooh ooh was it durham?

i hate the term 'oxbridge reject', it's implying that no other universities are really worth your time, which is wrong. many are world class, disproportionately so considering the number of them in the uk compared to the rest of the world

>> No.4163305

>>4162817
no I get five other classes starting in February

>> No.4163315

>>4160391
>The problem is most liberal arts people are not smart enough for STEM.
Do STEMs actually believe this?

>> No.4163317

Illinois Institute of Technology
B.Arch
Stairs
Intro to Arch, Architecture studio, Design and Communication, History of architecture

>> No.4163993

>>4160237
Your interests seem - wait for it - interesting. Can I get any recommendations on must-reads on those topics (or really on anything, since you seem like you'd have worthwhile suggestions)?

>> No.4164012

>>4163111
>Bakhtinian Theory
Do you have a booklist I could see?

>> No.4164059

Washington University in St. Louis
MA in Japanese
Depictions of WWII in manga, historical fiction
Modern Japanese, Classical Japanese, Modern Japanese Women Writers

>> No.4164116

Pratt Institute
BFA Design
Unemployed, graduated in spring. I've been so lazy ;_;

>> No.4164127

>>4162402
yeah i would be keen for a book swap, but i use a kindle..do you have a kindle?, busy next few days with assignments tho

>> No.4164152

>>4159423
>Brown University
>M.D/P.h.D
>Shit you wouldn't understand
>The best classes

>> No.4164162

>>4159737
>>4162647
Mah niggas in the twin cities
Hamline University
>Either Philosophy/Anthropology/Creative Writing (That feel when first year and doors are wide open)
>I wanna learn a bunch of shit because I fucking love learning
And then throw it all away and make furniture for a living while trying to write pulp westerns and fantasy and horror and sci-fi
>Intro classes in Philosophy, Anthropology, and Religion, and a first year seminar on Telling Stories

>> No.4164170

University of South Carolina. Finished a BA in experimental psychology in 2010, with my senior thesis in moral decisionmaking. Finished a MSW in Social Work earlier this year, which did not require a thesis. Finished my professional licensure last month. Not currently taking any classes.

>> No.4164191
File: 990 KB, 474x209, Bridge Demolition.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Stanford University
>Civil and Environmental Engineering, MS (finished by BS at Stanford this year)
>Currently on leave of absence and working in industry. I do water infrastructure and energy efficient building design.
>None right now, but when I get back it'll be structural dynamics, seismic design, advanced fluid mechanics, wetland biology...I'm going to make a slow move into ecology through my department's interdisciplinary emphasis.

I like to write fiction and learn languages and that's basically all I do in my free time, so even though I'm not as erudite or proficient as the actual patricians that sometimes visit this board, I can hold my own in complex discussions when I put the time into a subject.

>>4162618
People at top US institutions would recognize top-tier institutions abroad. So Oxbridge and Sorbonne of course, but LSE, St. Andrews, Bologna, top-tier in Berlin and Munich...you get the point. That's because people at top-ranked US institutions often collaborate with or have colleagues at the best ones in Europe.

However, knowledge of them is not quotidian, but this is to be expected because the vast majority of Americans looking at universities would not even consider going abroad. If they have high aspirations, even if they are attending prep school or belong already to the aristocracy, they are gunning for Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, Chicago, Stanford, Berkeley, etc. Varies by prospective field of study, of course, Stanford is gaining immense popularity now because of the extreme misconception of Silicon Valley as the only economic powerhouse in the country and the only place where any "innovation" occurs.

>> No.4164397

Queensland University of Technology
Bachelor of Commerce (Accountancy)
Started with economics but wanted to be more employable
General accounting, tax and finance classes

>> No.4164415

St. John's guy reporting back in.

>>4160412
You do get graded, however the grades are never formally given to the students. At any time you can go to the registrar's office and request a copy of your transcript. There are no "tests" in the conventional sense, although a good tutor will often test or quiz his students in order to evaluate their proficiency. This happened most for me during Freshman year when we were learning Ancient Greek, junior years during Newton (learning calculus is tough, it turns out), and senior year while reading Einstein.

The math tutorial constantly has you present propositions at the board in front of the class without the assistance of notes. This requires extensive outside-of-class studying and practicing. Often you are randomly called upon in class to present, thereby preventing you from rote memorization the night before. In this way, every day in math was like a "quiz".

>>4160419
You are graded in the individual tutorials and the seminar on a semester-by-semester basis. In addition, you write a yearly "seminar paper" which garners its own grade, separately from the seminar grade. In Santa Fe, you actually write two seminar papers, the first of which is combined into your overall seminar grade for the term. Concerning quizzes and test, see above. You are very incorrect about homework. On average I did about 4-6 hours of home A DAY, on top of a potential of like 7.5 hours of class. I'm not making this up. I rarely slept more than 6 hours a night, especially during junior and senior years when the coursework picked WAY up. It became routine for me to wake up at 7AM, read Kant for a few hours, and then go to class. I was always doing homework between classes (there was never enough time to do it the day before, really). On seminar days I would wake up, study, go to class, study, go to class, read until seminar, and then often do more homework after seminar. 7AM - 11PM.

>>4160410
Those who know about St. John's in academia highly respect the place. It's a small school with a killer reputation. Johnnies looking to get into the humanities, especially philosophy and literature, are practically a shoe-in, especially at some very high-end schools. The Committee of Social Thought at UChicago admits Johnnies regularly, as far as I am aware. You should go if you have the chance, seriously.

>>4160722
St. John's is like the third most expensive school in the US as of right now (it gets more expensive every year). They are extremely generous with financial aid if you qualify. The only reason I went is because they offered me so much help (I ended up paying like 8k a year instead of 50k+). If you don't qualify, be prepared to pay it out the ass forever. But like I said before, it's worth it. I promise.

It's a shame. The school is losing money yearly, not enough students, liberal arts aren't seen as profitable, lack of funding, economic downturn, etc. They need more students.

>> No.4164455

>HEC Paris
>Graduate, Business, Finance, Management, whatever.
>Just doing whatever I have to do
>Anything related to Assets Management

I'm also in another university because I love literature, working on a small thesis. Not saying which university though because almost nobody is doing the same thing as me.

>> No.4164486

Universität Leipzig, DE
BS in Computer Engineering and Math
Currently writing a few short stories and doing simulation programs in my free time. I also enjoying reading (hence my being here) and exploring the city, riding my bike and drinking at all times of the day.
Haven't picked classes for this semester yet, will be doing so this week however. Classes don't start until the 14th, I believe.

>> No.4164488

>>4160027
can you maybe expand on why you think this theory is bullshit? empirical evidence all over...

>> No.4164493

>>4164127
I did, but my screen broke. I mostly just read books on my laptop though, so nearly the same thing. I do pick up physicals when I can find them cheap though, although it's normally not needed as I have a friend (also at UQ) who has a bookshelve full of /lit/core.
I'm in the same boat there, but my emails here if you'd like to message me, and we could exchange fb's if you have one and would like too.

>> No.4164495

>>4164397
You should also take part in a bookswap of some sort. :)

>> No.4164498

>>4164495
Mostly using Bookz lately but sure.
Visited Archives in Brisbane yet?

>> No.4164519

>>4164498
Yeah I have, it's great. Didn't find what I was looking for last time I was there though and it was the most disappointing thing in the world. I don't know why, but it seems like no where in Queensland has anything by Emerson.
It's awesome to visit while I'm doing nothing at uni

>> No.4164539

>>4164415
Thanks man, I'm definitely going to try to go there next year. I think I can handle the work load, and are don rags really that bad? Some guy was saying they were terrible. I've had to do a similar thing in high school, but I don't know how that will measure up.

>> No.4164549

so im going to improve on my grades this coming summer and apply for some university in my home country (sweden). mostly just to avoid having to work, I'm slightly interested in politics and philosophy, what do?

>> No.4164577

>>4164549
Political Science

>> No.4164595

>>4164415
Everything this person said. St. John's, like Bard and Reed, has a very, very strong reputation and consistently produces fantastic graduate admits. And Chicago is a natural fit given the specific 'type' of graduate student that it prefers (offbeat, radical, genuinely "wtf").

>>4163285
It means exactly what it says. Quality of instruction, faculty reputation, publication level, research level, available resources all decline rapidly as one moves past the group that, roughly, constitutes the top 15-20 universities and colleges in the US.

Rankings are absolutely not irrelevant if one wishes to pursue an academic career, because the leaders in a field will tend to cluster among a certain group of institutions (and these institutions tend to be the top few). For analytic philosophy, for example, most of the top few British leaders tended to cluster into the Oxbridge institutions. And then Harvard. And then the rest of the nation.

Domestic rankings really don't matter as far as American academia is considered. The general consensus here is unless you're at Oxbridge/KCL/LSE, you're not worth bothering with. And given every tenure-track job attracts 200+ applicants, it's easy to toss the rest of them out of consideration.

>> No.4164658

>>4159423
>University of Western Ontario
Now it's "Western University" but it sounds retarded
>BMSc in Biophysics
The "M" stands for medical because we're super special snowflakes
>Writing a shitty-ass novel
I've posted parts of it on /lit/ before
>Calculus, Physics, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biostatistics
Calculus is my favourite course

>> No.4164659

>>4164539
Don rags are super uncomfortable and terrible for like the first two years. Freshman year is the worst. You already know what they're going to say, mostly, but that doesn't really soften the blow. I was lucky in that I always had a really great group of tutors that I got along with nicely; the St. John's project really jived with me, so I never had "problems" in class outside of not understanding a certain proposition of something. You learn quickly to adjust your attitude if it's a problem, and if you don't you an bet your ass they'll tell you to your face. It's tough love, but definitely love.

By the end of sophomore year and junior year they're no problem. By that point you're on good terms with most of the tutors on campus, plus they respect you more as a mature member of the school community. Second semester junior year you do something called "conferences", where instead of the tutors telling you what's up you have a chance to self-evaluate (with their comments at the end). There are no evaluations of any sort during senior year.

All don rags are optional (I think you can request a transcript), but you' be a fool not to attend.

>> No.4164674

>>4164659
I think I would rather be a fool. St. John's really does seem like a top tier college. Strange I hadn't even heard of it before coming to /lit/. Most of the other Liberal Arts schools I knew about. This must be why they're doing so poorly. No one has heard of them!

>> No.4164849
File: 1.35 MB, 1600x1000, 1600x1200-wallpaper-fractal-abstract-neon-licht.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm transferring to Depaul in Jaunuary.
Ba in Marketing and Journalism.
Wondering what its like there. Any ideas?
Oh yeah I'm working on some other stuff unrelated to my major. (and unclogging my bong)
speech, chemistry and accounting 202

>> No.4164873

Northwestern University
BA, Double Major in Political Science and International Studies
Interest in modern South East Asia, especially Burma and it's slowly opening government
Politics of SEA, International Ethics, International Theory, Global History, Methods of Political Inference

>> No.4164923

>>4163993
Sorry I didn't respond to this yet; I missed the post.

As you might guess, I'm still in an early stage, so suggestions will be correspondingly broad. Right now my reading list includes:

Kracauer - Theory of Film
Miriam Hansen - Cinema and Experience: Kracauer, Benjamin, Adorno
Dudley Andrew and Herve Joubert-Laurencin, eds. Opening Bazin: Postwar Film Theory and its Afterlives
Karen Beckman and Jean Ma, eds. Still Moving: Between Cinema and Photography
Lorraine Daston and Elizabeth Lunbeck, eds. Histories of Scientific Observation
Beatriz Colomina - Privacy and Publicity: Modern Architecture as Mass Media

Hope that helps!

>>4164658
Hey, I know a good prof who is there now. Not in STEM though.

>>4164674
St. John's is *extremely* well known, just not in the popular press. Like Chicago, its reputation is very solidly in place, but it isn't talked-up as much as HYPS.

>>4164849
DePaul is terrible. Sorry. But at least it's just a BA. See if you can transfer out to Northwestern/UChicago

>> No.4164945

>Durham University, UK
>BA in Sociology
>Methodology shit, probably
>four sociology classes, one stats class, one criminology class

>> No.4165124

University of Baja and Harvard.

Language Translation BA done. Literature PhD done.

I'm currently teaching a seminar in literary composition theory, writing my 3rd novel on editorial contract and helping a friend develop a thesis on first language phonetics and their change due to cultural/language learning.

No classes taken for the moment.

>> No.4165131

>Hofstra University
>Still deciding, something English related
>Columnist/Journalist/News Anchor/Writer
>I'm in my first semester of college, still taking my required courses and junk

I really want to be a homemaker who writes for a local paper or website, that'd be great.

>> No.4165134

>>4165131
what are you interested on writing to that wish, anon?

>> No.4165136
File: 1.95 MB, 320x180, 1374538651265.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

University of Nebraska-Omaha
Studying English (literature) and Secondary Education
I normally write short fiction and music in between assignments
Currently taking Public Speaking, two Lit courses and two education courses
>mfw reading about Irish authors US lit classes

>> No.4165140

>>4165134

Maybe an "Ask Annie"-esque column where I answer questions. Maybe I talk about home life and give corny heartfelt stories about my children and husband. Or maybe I'm the token LGBT voice in the newspaper. I don't know, I heard from numerous people I'm a good writer and that, I believe as my English professor put it, I have a great tone.

>> No.4165142

Aberystwyth University
Biochemisty BSc
First year so literally nothing
Biochemical classes.
I like to read, that's why i'm here, i was going to study Philosophy but it isn't worth the paper its written on.

>> No.4165145

>British Columbia Institute of Technology
>Electrical Apprenticeship
Novel for the last 6 years, it's ungodly long now and I don't feel comfortable letting others read it until it's "finished" in my mind. I also submit bad poetry to a local newspaper.
No school right now, just work. Once I make journeyman money, I'll probably go blow it all on some fruity university education.

>> No.4165157

>>4165140
Nice.
You stated you already posted some scraps of your writing here.
Share teh links, if you would be so kind.

>> No.4165165

>>4165157
Oh gosh, I never actually posted them. Mostly friends and teachers telling me that I'm very proficient at writing. I -do- have a story up on fanfiction.net that I wrote back when I was in 10th grade, but I think it's rubbish compared to some of the papers I absolutely winged it on this past week.

>> No.4165175

>>4165165
Make a space to share some of it somwhere on lit.

>> No.4165189
File: 4 KB, 185x82, 1346096833811.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4165175

>> No.4165356

>>4165175

>>4165320
I wrote this when I was 15 going into 16.

>> No.4165360

>>4159934
Also U of T

English/ Philosophy double major.

Learning German, Going to Germany soon to see a girl and learn the language better. Might transfer my credits and stay permanently, we'll see.

Taking pure philosophy courses this year, no English.

>> No.4165368

>>4165356
Did you start that post?

>> No.4165378

>>4165368
Yeah, I felt weird (I really can't find the right word for the feeling) posting my story out of the blue. Plus some other people can post their stuff.

>> No.4165402

>>4165378
I see.

I'll fedback you. You'll know its me.
Maybe later on I'll share a writing from my own fingers & mind.

>> No.4165992

>>4160708
UTA any good? I passed up an opportunity to go there simply because I need to get the fuck out of this state.

>> No.4166046

NC State University
2nd year Mathematics student
Absolute dick right now, want to go to grad school and become a professor
linear algebra, diffy eq are my major ones

>> No.4166051

>>4166046
>taking linear algebra alongside diff eqs

damn, isn't that kind of late? i took linear alongside calc 1.

>> No.4166077

>>4166051
Our linear algebra's pre-req is Calculus 2 and is recommended to take the introductory proof based class and diffy eq before hand. The phrase Linear Algebra is pretty ambiguous, ours is probably much different that yours.

>> No.4166091

University of Wisconsin
B.A. Psychology and Philosophy, minor Japanese, certificate Asian Studies
Interests: Philosophy of Mind, emotions (fear).
Taking: Psychological Statistics, Symbolic Logic, Philosophy of Religion, Japanese 2nd year, 2nd year Shaolin Kung Fu

>> No.4166122
File: 8 KB, 134x160, uofc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

University of Chicago

Filosophee.

Secondary: Math

Main Interests: Haecceitism, Counterfactuals, Metametaphysics, Perdurantism, Higher-order metaphysics, Deviant Logic.

>> No.4166125

>>4166051
Same here.

>>4166077
What does it cover? Here we have linear algebra split in two semesters. In the first one you take from the most basic stuff like matrix multiplication and determinants up to linear transformations in vector spaces; in the second one you talk about eigenvalues, eigenvectors and inner product spaces.

>> No.4166132

>>4166125
we're 1/3rd of the way through our curriculum and we're almost done with vectore spaces. I know we do eigenvectors at some point. We also do a lot of proofs and theory.

>> No.4166133

on a temporary leave of absence from UCD in Dublin.

BA in English and Classics.

>> No.4166137

>>4166125
>>4166132
Also ours is only 1 semester, meeting for 3 50 minute sessions a week.

>> No.4166143

Graduate of St. John's College (SF).
Currently a taxi driver.

>> No.4166147
File: 8 KB, 264x120, 1303_1[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I feel sick in my heart and I wish I had never been born.

>> No.4166154

>>4166077
mine was very proof based as well, not sure what calc 2 would do to benefit linear algebra class?

>> No.4166160

>>4166132
Yeah, ours is super proof-based. The hard thing here is that we don't have a class called "introduction to proofs" and you need to learn how to give proof to things the hard way. In my case I learned it by failing linar algebra three times lol

>> No.4166165

>>4166160
Well I took the intro to proofs class last semester and forgot everything, so it isn't that helpful other than some notation.

>>4166154
Systems of differential equations, our linear algebra and diffy eq overlap a little.

>> No.4166172

>>4166165
I understand they want to mix different math subjects into one, but what's the point of solving differential equations in linear algebra? The whole point of LINEARITY gets lost.

>> No.4166177

>>4166172
I'm not complaining. My linear algebra class is easy and my diffy eq class goes out of its way to be hard. Stuff I learn in linear algebra will be able to help me.

>> No.4166215

>>4166122
What types of things do you read in your classes?

>> No.4166229
File: 25 KB, 197x250, 1380169898746d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4166122
>being this analytic

>> No.4166236

>>4166215

PhD student. Lots of essays, specialized books; nothing written earlier than the 20th century.

>> No.4166252

>>4166236
did you do amazingly well in your undergrad? can a public uni pleb ever aspire to reach your patrician philosopher status when he reaches the graduate level?

>> No.4166258

>>4166236

Hey PhD student, I'm double majoring and getting a minor and a certificate in Asian Studies. My GPA is 3.0. How likely am I to get into a graduate school with an acceptance rate (in the philosophy department) of 12%?

>> No.4166295

>>4166236
Any examples you could give? I probably won't understand the stuff you're reading, but I'd love to struggle with it.

>> No.4166305

>>4166252

3. What matters is your GPA in your philosophy courses.

If you go to a top 20 undergraduate institution, you should have an in-major GPA between 3.6-3.75. Else(>=3.8).

2. Get good GRE scores.

A verbal score >=165 seems reasonable; >160 for math.

1. A darn good essay.

Usually 10-15 pages, make sure it's clear, concise, and awesome.

If you do all of these things, you have an 95% chance of getting accepted into a top 30 philosophy graduate program (I left #1 particularly vague to make the system less prone to error).

>>4166258

3.0 is very poor. And while most grad programs in philosophy have an acceptance rate of around 4-6% as you approach the top 10, a school with an acceptance rate of 12% is still probably going to want something more. I'd suggest entering an MA/MS program in something other than philosophy, doing well, and then trying again. Good luck, m8.

>> No.4166314

>>4166295

Van McGee's Counterexample to Modus Ponens
Haecceitism, Chance, and Counterfactuals
Quine's Identity, Ostension, and Hypostasis
etc.
Obligatory reading:
Kripke's Naming and Necessity
Frege's Sense and Reference
Russell's On Denoting

>> No.4166316

>>4166258
I wouldn't say you have a very good chance. Certainly won't be funded.

>> No.4166319

>>4166314
Thanks a ton!

>> No.4166383

los angeles valley college (community college)

political science is my listed major but i really don't know what i want to study

none

college algebra (for the third time)

>> No.4166566

Reed College
Classics, probably
I like linguistics a lot too, so I might end up working on historical linguistics or philology.

>> No.4167205

>>4166122
Hi! Was there for my MA, and would've loved to be there for the PhD. Chicago is going through a good time right now. Great expansion/hiring efforts all around.

>> No.4167331

>>4167205

Haven't been looking for jobs, but I have a feeling your post is riddled with irony. Hyde Park is the most depressing place on the planet.

>> No.4167450

>>4167205

What did you study?

>> No.4167993

>>4167331
I meant "Chicago" as in "University of Chicago." Nearly everyone in academia just refers to them like that. Hyde Park can get a bit isolating, yes, but the Loop and city life is just a short ride on the 6.

But I'm the type to go to that Japanese garden-type thingie behind the MSI anyway.

>>4167450
I was in the MAPH, used it as a stepping board toward the PhD.