[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 186 KB, 500x668, isaac-asimov.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
414192 No.414192 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/, it's spring break and my campus is empty - I'm still here, taking advantage of the peace and quiet to get some work done.

I'm in the science building study lounge and I start browsing the the shelves of books. I've never done it before now because it just looks like a bunch of old outdated textbooks.

However, in the middle of one shelf I found two dozen science fiction paperbacks - about half Asimov, and the rest Herbert, Vonnegut, etc.

Jackpot.

Question: Is it okay to steal these?

>> No.414197

Take one. And only one.

>> No.414210

No, unless you're implying never in a million years will a similar-minded person browse these selfsame shelves and be pleasantly surprised at the selection.

If you steal them you're going to murder that future.

>> No.414213

Every book you take must be replaced by a book of equal or greater quality. You may leave more than one book to replace a very good book that you take, but you may not take more books than you leave regardless of relative quality.

>> No.414216

>>414210
>implying he hasn't already stolen them, and in that moment will always steal them and will have always stolen them

>> No.414219

You guys are right I guess. When I found them I just assumed they were hidden there and nobody else found them.

While I doubt many people peruse these shelves of old textbooks I'm sure every now and then someone will, like I did.

I shall borrow and not steal.

I wonder how they got there - it's like someone just dumped their collection here, in the science building reading lounge.

>> No.414244

This actually sounds pretty awesome. I feel like I should cruise some used bookstores and pick up a bunch of cheap books and leave them in various places on campus with "Not For Stealing" signs on them. Instant honour-system lending libraries!

>> No.414271

OP here.

A professor must have left them here. The books on these shelves are all kind of old - the kind that professors clean out of their offices but can't stand to throw away, so they put them in the student study lounge shelves.

These are all really old paperbacks by Asimov too.

>> No.414292

It's always okay to steal.

As long as you return it before you die.

>> No.414299
File: 52 KB, 355x275, scriptorium.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thou must borrow them, transcrybe them in a true and honest fashion, then return them.

>> No.414832

Demand pics of this find!