[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 13 KB, 541x305, narrative-essay-structure.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4123435 No.4123435[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Do you guys write yours essays by first preparing drafts or do you just write and edit as you go?

I've gotten into the habit of just writing and editing as I go. It works well, as I've been getting very good marks for my essays at university, but I'm hoping to gain some insight into drafting / planning the structure of your essay first and whether or not it's a quicker and more efficient method of writing.

>> No.4123455

>>4123435
I used to create an outline, write up a draft using that outline, and then edit it. It worked but it wasn't very fun, and my writing felt kind of dull.

What I've started doing recently is making a general outline of the things I want to talk along with a brief thesis statement of some sort. Then I just start typing a paragraph about a random point. After that, I may move to the next point in the sequence, or start covering another random point in a separate paragraph.

Once I have all my points on the page (sans introductory paragraph), I rearrange and edit them according to the logos structure I want my essay to follow. At the very end, I create an introductory paragraph and give one last edit.

It's really disorganized, and almost feels like working backwards; however, it makes my writing feel engaging, allows me to get all my points across in a salient manner, and is overall quite a lot of fun.

It isn't any quicker and far from efficient, but I've noticed higher grades with this method as well.

>> No.4123465

>>4123455

This is exactly what I do too.

I just got full marks for a 25% essay so I guess it really does work well.

>> No.4123470

I start out with bullet points of what I want to talk about and arrange those points into coherent paragraphs. Then I bang out a rough draft using only the things I've listed, and then continue editing that until I'm satisfied.