[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 13 KB, 194x259, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4112838 No.4112838[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hola,
I am not that interested in literature as of now but I feel it is a useful hobby.
Can I BUILD interest in books to a point that they interest me more than video games or is that just a matter of natural inclination to read.

>> No.4112873

>>4112838
1. pick book you think you might enjoy
2. read

there isn't some special trick to it. It's really as simple as that

>> No.4112874

>>4112838
What things interest you?

>> No.4112887

just read about something that interests you

maybe read about video games or the early video game industry or something

>> No.4112915

Sci Fi and horror I suppose, anyone have an essentials chart for that or something?

>> No.4112926

tl;dr you're a poser but you'll fit right in with /lit/ but you'll ultimately be a failure

>> No.4112936

>>4112915
I'd really recommend Dan Simmon's Hyperion, Harlan Ellison's Paingod and Other Delusions... also Deathbird Stories, Rudyard Kipling's The Mark of the Beast and Other Fantastical Tales, Walter Miller's A Canticle for Leibowitz

also there's the entry level Poe, Asimov, Frankenstein, Dracula, Orwell, Fahrenheit 451 etc and more listed here
http://4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Reading/Genre_fiction

>> No.4112949

>>4112936

>Deathbird

My nig.

>> No.4112964

Yeah you definitely can, it might be a while though: you'll try out different books, and there'll be ones you really like, but still don't hold interest on the level you're looking for, then one day you'll get one that'll be like "woah this is it," and after that those other books hold your interest, and more and more until you enjoy reading stuff you would've been actively put off by earlier. This happened with me and Philip K. Dick's The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and Kerouac's On The Road. Then you feel able to read 'high level' shit and enjoy it. Like right now I'm reading Swann's Way and Sons and Lovers and they're great.

>> No.4114862

>>4112838
This really sticks in my craw for some reason.

What do you mean by "useful"? If you're only looking to take up reading for some industrial advantage, you're not going to get very far.