[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 7 KB, 300x440, House_of_leaves.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4098373 No.4098373[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Thoughts on this book, /lit/? I'm not much of a reader and admittedly this is my first time visiting this board, but I saw it on your essentials and it was recommended to me by a friend. Would this be a good book to read if you're not a heavy reader?

>> No.4098377

>>4098373
>Would this be a good book to read if you're not a heavy reader?
that is about the only person that would find it enjoyable to read

>> No.4098497

>>4098377
:^) Good one /b/rother

>> No.4098503

It's definitely not on our "essentials," whatever that may be.

It's a weird book and much of it is written in the style of an academic paper. I would not recommend it unless you're into alternative literature.

Honestly, there's better and more thrilling reads out there. No need to bash your head against this.

>> No.4098524

>>4098377
"About the only person" as if there's more heavy readers than non readers

>> No.4098912

It's weird, but I absolutely love it. Also for the record, I'm a pretty heavy reader, so that doesn't really mean anything. It's not a hard book, if that's what you mean.

>> No.4098994

>>4098377
this is such a pleb book though cause of the OMG KOOL TEXT fanbase

its really not a particularly hard read anyways if you have some basic understanding of post modernism

>> No.4099025
File: 95 KB, 300x381, tumblr_ma7dvdTqEO1qcz7ha.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4098994

no one has said the book is overly difficult.
Pleb though? Not really. So many shitties scream 'pleb,' but usually these same people won't talk about the book or other books they're reading. And then you have the fanboys that get tattoos and listen to Circa Survive that swear this book changed SO MUCH (it didn't).

The book isn't 3deep5u, and text can have it's place in relation to storytelling if you think about it the way you would think about film.

OP it is an interesting book. I enjoyed the adventure. Are there better books? There are always better books. Are there parts that went over my head? Of course. Are there parts I thought weren't great? Definitely.

If you want to read the book, read it. Don't turn it into a monster.

>> No.4100037

Stylistically, it's very interesting. That may be hard to get to grips with if you're a casual reader. The narrative isn't linear, either. And there are a few intertextual references which crop up that I feel like you may miss if you're not a 'heavy' reader but they aren't crucial to the understanding of the text. It's a good book, but I feel like it's maybe more worthwhile to read if you're a heavy reader than if you're a light reader.

>> No.4100069

wow, holy fuck, just read the damn book.
Seriously this is a retarded question dude.

>> No.4100082

>>4098373
It's an interesting and enjoyable book, but don't take it too seriously. It's basically an extended riff and joke on post-modern/modern literature, with all of said literature's dense references to other literary works and toying with narrative structures.