[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 46 KB, 277x416, cover_277.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4095148 No.4095148[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Interested in finding a new fantasy series to read, and yes I read the sticky, but have either already read those books, attempted to read them and was not interested, or dismissed them outright based off reviews. I understand theres a very strong pretentious streak here and I may get called a pleb, but I just like reading a good story.

Authors I like:
Patrick Rothfuss
Brandon Sanderson
Joe Abercrombie
Glen Cook
Robin Hobb
Robert Jordan
George RR Martin
Brent Weeks

and a shit ton of other authors but these are the ones that came to mind. Would enjoy any suggestions. I didn't like the Malazan series if it helps.

>> No.4095206

>>4095148

chronicles of thomas covenant is being concluded this year after about 30 years

also bobby dollar series by tad williams

>> No.4095242 [DELETED] 

>>4095206
I read the the Thomas Covenant series, I can't say I liked it too much.

Also, is the Bobby Dollar series anything remotely familiar to urban fantasy? I don't like urban fantasy much, too much suspension of disbelief (I know know...wanting "realism" and being a fan of fantasy...). The combination of magic and skyscrapers is just a combination I don't like, and it reminds me too much of that twilight vampires, and sexy vampire huntress cliche. The Dresden files is a rare exception, and its because I picked up the series before I developed a distaste for urban fantasy.

I'm sorry if I come across as picky.

>> No.4095244

I read the the Thomas Covenant series, I can't say I liked it too much.

Also, is the Bobby Dollar series anything remotely familiar to urban fantasy? I don't like urban fantasy much, too much suspension of disbelief (I know know...wanting "realism" and being a fan of fantasy...). The combination of magic and skyscrapers is just a combination I don't like, and it reminds me too much of that twilight vampires, and sexy vampire huntress cliche. The Dresden files is a rare exception, and its because I picked up the series before I developed a distaste for urban fantasy.

I'm sorry if I come across as picky.

>> No.4095748

Check out N.K. Jemisin, she's one of Patrick Rothfuss's favorite new fantasy authors, if you need further convincing.

>> No.4095751

>>4095748

She's only written 2 series at the moment, both excellent

>Inheritance Trilogy
>The Bloodmoon

>> No.4095754

>>4095748
Not OP but I really didn't much care for the book of hers that I read, which was the first one of the Inheritance trilogy.

Then again I also don't care for Pat Rothfuss so who the fuck knows!

>> No.4095760

If you liked any of that you should probably check out The Lies of Locke Lamora.