[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 160 KB, 1321x900, Albert Camus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4091882 No.4091882 [Reply] [Original]

In The Plague, Camus says that there is more to admire in man than to despise. What do you guys think? Is such a judgement even possible?

>> No.4091894 [DELETED] 
File: 153 KB, 656x272, magusurfe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

I believe Camus imagined man's individual struggle for meaning to be inherently commendable - given that the 'angst' inevitably brought about by the inaccessibility of objective meaning could well bring about hopelessness and suicide (the only philosophical problem, as he had it). 'Despicable' is a moral judgement which we make about another individual's chosen 'meaning', i.e. that it is 'wrong', but as none of us are ultimately arbiter's of objective meaning (which, again, is unavailable to any of us, irrespective of its metaphysical reality - or otherwise) any expression of individual meaning-finding trumps the ethical opprobrium of another, or others.

I think he was 'right', if one takes the validity of the Absurdist doctrine for granted, which I happen not to. That is, his argument is valid, but not necessarily sound.

>> No.4091895
File: 153 KB, 656x272, magusurfe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I believe Camus imagined man's individual struggle for meaning to be inherently commendable - given that the 'angst' inevitably brought about by the inaccessibility of objective meaning could well bring about hopelessness and suicide (the only philosophical problem, as he had it). 'Despicable' is a moral judgement which we make about another individual's chosen 'meaning', i.e. that it is 'wrong', but as none of us are ultimately arbiter's of objective meaning (which, again, is unavailable to any of us, irrespective of its metaphysical reality - or otherwise) any expression of individual meaning-finding trumps the ethical opprobrium of another, or others.

I think he was 'right', if one takes the Absurdist doctrine for granted, which I happen not to.

That is, his argument is valid, but not necessarily sound.

>> No.4091897

>>4091882
camus was a pseudo-intellectual m8

>> No.4091929

>>4091897
That doesn't necessarily preclude meaning in his work. If it makes you feel any better, pretend your favorite person of influence said it. At any rate, present an argument.

>>4091895
From the standpoint of your doctrine of choice, what would the answer be?

>> No.4091962

>>4091882

There's even more to be indifferent to.

>> No.4092003

>>4091895
what film is this

>> No.4092013

>>4092003
IT SAYS MAGUSURFE

URFE IS THE CHARACTER IN MAGUS

MAGUS IS A FAMOUS MODERN NOVEL BY FOWLES

I SUPPOSE THAT'S A FILM ADAPTATION OF THE NOVEL