[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 83 KB, 500x808, lllg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4075782 No.4075782 [Reply] [Original]

I know /lit/ tends to shun science fiction (and for good reason sometimes) but it saddens me that people instantly think of Star Wars spin-off novels or shit like that when someone mentions sci-fi.

I've read a smattering of Asimov, Arthur C Clarke, Roger Zelazny, Dan Simmons and Gene Wolfe.

I just finished Zelazny's 'Lord of Light' and I'm looking for other suggestions for some legendary science fiction. They could be from some of the authors I've listed cause I've read nowhere near all their material.

>> No.4075839

Childhood's End by Clarke

This book will blow your mind.

Also Ender's Game as well as the Earth (?) series by Card

>> No.4075849

Iain m. Banks

>> No.4075878

Ursula K. le Guin - The Dispossessed
le Guin - The Left Hand of Darkness

>> No.4076043

All good suggestions, I'll definitely give them a go. Also, I love Banks' Culture series.

>> No.4076073

>>4075839
Childhood's End was amazing. I recommend this as well.

>> No.4076107

>>4075782
Anything by JG Ballard

>> No.4076138

http://4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Reading/Genre_fiction#Science_fiction

also, Aldiss 'non stop', Lem 'star diaries',

>> No.4076193

The Grand Tour, all dem books, by Ben Bova. "Mars" especially.

>> No.4076254

The Golden Age -John C Wright
Count To A Trillion - John C Wright
The Futurological Congress - Stanislaw Lem
Rendezvous With Rama - Arthur C Clarke
Neuromancer - William Gibson

>> No.4076256

Star My Destination by Alfred Bester.

>> No.4077132

Does anyone have any worthwhile suggestions of sci-fi released in the last 10 years or so? I love picking up a new author and seeing that brilliance isn't dead.

>> No.4077272

The Diamond Age, by Stephenson. If you like that and Snow Crash, you might consider his other longer works. The Baroque Cycle is long and messy and beautiful if you are interested in the history of science, economics, and the early 1700s, while being science fiction, which can also be fiction about science.

>> No.4077301

>>4077132
I'll second this. Some of the classics seam dated in their idea of technological progress. Similar to how people in the 50's all though we would have robot maids, they're interesting to read for perspective, but don't grasp the read the way they intended.

>> No.4077343
File: 502 KB, 400x300, Ah, but you see.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4075782
The Dancers at the End of time, by Moorcock
Behold the Man, by Moorcock
The Lamps of his face, the Doors of his mouth, by Zelazny
To Die in Italbar by Zelazny
A Canticle for Leibowitz, by Miller
Dune, by Herbert
Foundation, by Asmiov
The Deathbird Stories by Ellison
Paingod and Other Delusions, by Ellison
The Lathe of Heaven, by Le Guin

Just some of my suggestions, /mg/.

Also, I actually verily enjoyed Lord of Light

>> No.4077352

Altered Carbon, by Richard K. Morgan, is a solid transhumanist detective book, where the main character is hired by a must victim to find out who murdered him. He doesn't remember as it happened between backups.

>> No.4077464

>>4077272
Only thing of Stephenson I've read is Anathem but I thoroughly enjoyed it so i'll definitely check out some of his other work

>>4077343
Are you me?

>> No.4077474

Some of the Star Trek books aren't really that bad actually. Then again they're mostly for fans.

>> No.4077477

>>4077352
reminds me of Hyperion

>> No.4077482
File: 1.07 MB, 875x1201, on-the-moon_moon-is-a-harsh-mistress-cover_v4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

it gets mentioned allot here but this is my favorite scifi book

>> No.4077502

>>4077477
They're not very much alike, Hyperion is all JOHN KEATS JOHN KEATS JOHN KEATS and Altered Carbon is more like "What if Philip Marlowe had insurgency and regime-change training".

>> No.4077724

>>4077502
but there's a part of the second(?) book that is exactly like what you described

cybrid hires a detective to find out who killed his last body and erased the memory.

>> No.4078875
File: 37 KB, 348x500, SYY.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yukikaze (Chohei Kanbayashi) and Roadside Picnic (the Strugatsky Brothers).

Highly recommend the former and its followup Good Luck Yukikaze, they provide some interesting philosophical insight into the difference between what is human and what is inhuman.

Also the fact they paint machine intelligences as being their own sort of thing rather than simulacra of a human intelligence is really interesting, and creates some very interesting dilemmas within the narrative as the normal relationship of man being the master to the computer's servant only exists at the superficial level; the AI systems' conceptualization of the reality in which they inhabit lead to them appearing at times incomprehensible to the average human, and thus leads to such situations as

>award a snowplow driver a medal way beyond his line of duty to push him over the edge, make him a liability during a runway clearing job when he starts hitting the booze hard, have the autonomous gun systems shred his plow apart when it becomes an obstacle for an emergency landing, and then establish the whole ordeal as a precedence for removing the human element and moving to autonomous systems

>> No.4078969

>>4077343
I am just reading Dune for the first time, how are the sequels, if you have read them?

>> No.4079297

>>4075782
im just gonna bump this.

>> No.4080783

lem, of course.
and nearly anything from the strugatzky bros.

>> No.4081671

>>4080783
Is Roadside Picnic supposed to take place in Canada?

I'll be honest, STALKER has ruined me hard on being able to think of the Zone as existing anywhere but in Pripyat. Even when it mentions the existence of a separate Soviet zone in the narrative, my imagination keeps defaulting to the Exclusion Zone.