[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 238 KB, 677x768, not literature.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4027345 No.4027345 [Reply] [Original]

Fan fiction is not real literature. It's baby tier pretend writing for those too lazy to be creative.

Stop pretending otherwise, okay? The people who write fan fiction don't have what it takes to be real writers and a real fan would be content with official media and not feel a need to "fix" it with their version. If you had genuine talent you'd be publishing your own books.

>> No.4027350

>muh no true scotsman

>> No.4027347

I don't think anyone on the planet thinks of fan fiction as literature. Find something else to go be grumpy about you loser.

>> No.4027355 [DELETED] 
File: 161 KB, 800x640, z06.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dear Journal,

When did music begin? Did it begin with a question? Or an exclamation? Was somepony laughing? Or sobbing? Was that pony alone? Or was there an audience?

When I first attended Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns, I thought that I would find out all of the answers of how and where music began. What I discovered was that the best pieces of us—the artistic, soulful, and melodious pieces—have been lost forever. Equestrian Civilization is over ten thousand years old, and of those ten millennia only the last fifteen hundred years' worth of music has been recorded, preserved, or recited to this day.

What became of the music that is now lost to us forever? How many masterpieces disappeared into the great void of time? Just what kind of prodigies and geniuses exist in the past, and how many of their masterpieces will go unheard? Does the fact that their music no longer resonates in the halls of our kingdom mean that they've lost their worth?

Years ago, I became a student of music theory, thinking that I would find answers. What I found instead was that making music is merely a means of proposing questions with our hearts that our minds can't formulate. Every time we sing or play an instrument, we are searching. Every time we fill the air with notes of rhythm and tonality, we are endeavoring to get in touch with the parts of ourselves that our words cannot contain.

I would like to think that the ponies of ancient times were searching for something just as much as we are in this era. This means to me that even though the music of the past is gone, the drive to simultaneously express and discover ourselves is still there. Our entire civilization is the beautiful encore to a symphony that has fallen on deaf ears, but not on unfeeling heartstrings. So long as we are feeling with music—embodying the same curiosity and ambition of our ancestors—then all that is important isn't forgotten, for we have it locked away in our very pulse.

Today, I play music. I do it because I am also searching. For one, these magical notes that I am endeavoring to construct may be a way to release this curse that has been placed upon me. For another, I am adding to the same heartbeat that has kept a constant rhythm since the beginning of time. So long as I am a part of that, so long as I am making melodies that the Equestrian soul cannot help but dance to, then maybe I have a chance to actually reach somepony.

Maybe, I won't be forgotten.

>> No.4027396

Gargantua and Pantagruel is fanfiction and is considered a great work of literature. Have you thought about that?

>> No.4027402

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

>> No.4027411

>>4027402
four replies and already enough to dismantle your uneducated claim, OP.

>> No.4027420

>>4027396
>>4027402
Add to these The Iliad, The Odyssey, most famous Greek plays (if not all of them), and most of Shakespeare's plays.

It's not that fanfic is or is not literature. The matter is whether or not fanfic improves upon the original. If it improves, it is literature. If it doesn't, it isn't.

>> No.4027465

>>4027345

Nice job OP

>> No.4027488
File: 18 KB, 253x300, doubleminded-253x300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw my sister writes this stuff
>mfw she's huge on the scene
>mfw she's written 3 novel-length pieces
>mfw she always tries to convince me that fan fiction is a legitimate form of literature
>mfw she could've been a good writer
>mfw she could've made a living at it
>mfw she's too old now to do real writing
>mfw she's wasted her life
>mfw she routinely tries killing herself
>mfw I'm a published novelist and my second book is going to be huge

What the fuck happened?

>> No.4027494

>>4027488
>>mfw I'm a published novelist and my second book is going to be huge

Name and publisher or you're just some loser pretending on 4chan.

>> No.4027498

>>4027494
Yeah I really want my sister who's a big figure on the web to get doxed with the information that she's suicidal.

>> No.4027499

>>4027345
>implying Paradise Lost is bad

>> No.4027505

ITT: we stretch the definition of fan fiction as far as possible

>> No.4027515
File: 38 KB, 485x482, derrida.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4027505
>implying "definitions"

>> No.4027516
File: 9 KB, 265x265, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4027499
Top lel anon. You made my day.

>> No.4027519

>>4027515
Nice metanarrative.

>> No.4027521

>>4027345
Fan fiction is kind of similar to licensed video games. Yes, it's bad 99% of the time, yet it can be good. It usually turns out terribly unless the writer/creator takes the universe and (without messing with already established canon) does something else with it. Something unrelated to the original thing, only sharing the universe. Different characters, a different plot, etc.

Examples: Star Wars: KotOR, Dante's Inferno

>> No.4027526

>>4027505
this is not stretching the definition very far.
something like monsignor quixote is fanfiction by almost any definition

if you define fanfiction as *low literature* stories about characters or settings written by fans of the original work, then you cant expect something "high-brow" to fit in your definition.

>> No.4027536

>>4027526
I think it's more to do with modern copyright law and the modern publishing industry. Fan fiction is basically working with an intellectual property that you don't own that somebody else does in a way that doesn't make it an original work like parody does and publishing the work in the amateur press. I don't think you can apply that to works written before the industry took its current shape.

>> No.4027654

>>4027345
>tfw Geraldine Brooks' "March" is basically fan fiction
>tfw it won a Pulitzer

Nothing has disgusted me more.

>> No.4027731

The only important question is whether it is enjoyable or not. Literature is useless if not enjoyable.

>> No.4027784

>>4027521
Licensed is the key word there, friend. Licensed works are done with the consent of the author, and oftentimes with their input. Fanfiction is, as the name suggests, done by fans, not professionals. The difference lies there.

>> No.4027796

I don't write fanfiction and if I did I would never post it for other people to read but it's still writing, better than nothing if you don't have any new ideas.

>> No.4027884
File: 6 KB, 184x184, 1376278947334.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4027345
So I can't fuck around with a universe I enjoy for fun just because you say so?

Oh wow. I'm going to go cry now.

>> No.4028495

>>4027796
Though that doesn't affect quality at all.