[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 87 KB, 466x640, tumblr_lsvl5kc23T1qevckho1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4027297 No.4027297 [Reply] [Original]

>Pillow Talk: The Book

I was a bit underwhelmed after reading this book. It was OK, but nothing more.

And yes, I got the themes of how man's pain is to fight in wars and women's battlefield is on the birthing table or whatever.

Camaraderie. Italian culture: its beauty and its faults ( fraternity,cowardliness, hedonism, laziness, passion, etc).

IT WAS OK.

What did you think?

>> No.4027307

It has one of the great last lines in all of literature, but the book itself is pretty dry. Intentionally so, I'm sure, but I agree it's not much of a read.

>> No.4027323

The scene where she's on the table giving birth, knowing that she's dying, is one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever read.

>> No.4027331

I also thought it was underwhelming. The complete dead-pan style just didn't do it for me in Farewell. Papa does it well in his other works, but in this one I just didn't feel it.

>> No.4027348

I forgot to mention, perhaps why I found this book underwhelming is because I saw the movie about Hemingway's time spent in Italy.

Much his life parallels with this book, and the bitterness of his real life seeped into his fiction.

For example: Hemingway actually did fall in love with an American nurse while working as an ambulance driver in Italy. She apparently rejected his offer for marriage because she was trying to bag an Italian doctor, but when that didn't work out for her, she tried going back to him, but he rejected her.

Jesus christ, writers live the bitterest lives, rich or poor--famous or obscure.

>> No.4027351

>>4027348
Hence why I think he ended Farewell to Arms the way he did.

Anyway, I liked two characters in it, the protag's roomate and his love interest. The main character had not a shred of personality though, just some vague male figure.

>> No.4027354

Too much PTSD and Robert fawning over Maria even though she's got the personality of a wet fish. How's Across the River and into the Trees? Picked it up at a used bookshop but it seems to be exactly the same as A Farewell to Arms but in a different setting judging from the blurb.

>> No.4027356

>>4027354
The English patient also seems to rip shit off from Farewell to Arms.

>> No.4027386

I thought it was just ok but the ending still made me tear up. My problem is Hemingway cant right women. They seem to exist only for men and they act like they are all retarded.

>> No.4027649

>>4027386
This, man I was laughing at Catherine's behaviour all the way through the book.