[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 23 KB, 333x500, grossman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4016037 No.4016037 [Reply] [Original]

Just finished Don Quixote the other day. Previously read an abridged version so I knew the general thrust of things, but it was definitely worth reading a full annotated translation.

The one thing I did notice was that the ending felt very abrupt and matter-of-fact, almost emotionless even. Not sure if that's a problem with an otherwise excellent translation, or if I was just numbed by the abridged version and seeing/hearing Man of La Mancha multiple times.

Thoughts on the book? I doubt anyone's read any of Cervantes's other stuff, but if they had, does it hold up?

>> No.4016061

gonna read this one after 2 more books.. How long did it take you to get through? And how did you find the translation? thanks

>> No.4016143

>>4016061
I think it was a Christmas gift.

As for how long it took, I'd say each part took me maybe a month, but I wasn't reading it all that much in any given day; if you really tore into it, you could probably read the whole thing in three or four weeks.

>> No.4016209

>>4016143
I blasted through the Edith Grossman translation in seven days. I do agree with you on the abrupt ending; I felt as though Cervantes just wanted the story done, somehow, to seal off any potential for another false Quixote; but, again, it could have been the translation.

I felt, however, despite the ending, that DQ was an overall emotionless story, anyway. I think the issue is that DQ shows and never just tells. Too much exposition.

>> No.4016638

>>4016037
Jesus, I read the Thomas Shelton translation and almost threw up. Gonna try again with Grossman's soon.

>> No.4017789

>>4016209
It's the start of what later became the modern world, it's a predecessor to postmodern irony. It's about identity, and how you can or cannot make one yourself, the emotionlessness of the parts I've read seemed to show how tragically he tries to play a role that got outplayed by history