[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 436 KB, 750x545, 1373583815851.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3967752 No.3967752 [Reply] [Original]

This is the closest board I can think of that might appreciate this question, and I thought of whilst reading so...

Why has the phrasal point, 'making things harder for yourself' been removed from our general lexicon?

It seems there's no definitive reason to think that people don't actually make things harder for themselves but we seem to find ourselves in a position where we never suggest such things. Are we just so used to blaming everybody else for our problems that we won't even conceive that certain problems are caused by the individual themselves.

Has PoMo gone too far? Are we in a state on unknowing, not willing to accept there are good ideas and bad ideas for any given scenario, pertaining to a set of circumstances.

>> No.3967773

I do not agree with your presuppositions.

>> No.3967777

>>3967752

It's a common phrase, I don't think I've heard it less or more than any of the other thousands of phrases.

now, moving away from the usage of a phrase, yes, personal responsibility is a big issue in the 21st century. we have lost direction. too many people seem to think every view is valid, every person equal: they are not.

feminism has played a large role is stripping the west of its willingness to belong to a community, to wield authority, to be human beings. the world we have been living in encourages us to be 'different' and 'individual', yet, what they really want is for us to be alone, because when we are alone, we aer powerless. and of course, the shift in thought from duty to rights. we are a world of rights now, everyone has rights, we are all entitled to something but responsible for nothing. these attitudes will kill us.

>> No.3967787 [DELETED] 

>>3967773

I respect your opinion and assumed that my point was going to be personal. I'm British and I don't know if this is a British thing but the thought did cross me that it might be. Everybody is way too polite here and telling somebody they are part of the problem is a big no-no from my experience.

>> No.3967805

>>3967777

I suppose people act in that manner because they want to move to a point where everybody is accepted as equal. As such it's a rather limbo state to be in at the moment. Either it'll collapse into nothingness or we will finally get out of the other side and things will be...different.

Either way, it seems irresponsible at this point even if the effects will be virtuous in the long-run. As a society, everybody plays their part and I find it strange that people don't think this way.

People are always taught to better things. It's a fallacy because quite clearly we aren't equal and opportunities aren't available to everybody. This is where I think certain people are making things harder for themselves by believing otherwise. The will to believe often overlooks the will of reason.

It's as if we're all dreaming of fame and glory; lost in the knowledge that we can't all have fame and glory, and that perhaps fame and glory isn't actually as good as we're told (for which literature often suggests that it's probably not).

I don't know where I'm going with this.

>> No.3967842

>>3967805
>People are always taught to better things. It's a fallacy because quite clearly we aren't equal and opportunities aren't available to everybody. This is where I think certain people are making things harder for themselves by believing otherwise. The will to believe often overlooks the will of reason.

I'd say people are always striving to better themselves too, except, I think most people have very distorted views on how that is done. People convince themselves more money, better clothes, a hot girlfriend will improve their lives. They see no correlation between their willingness to bring order to themselves and their community and their unhappiness. Men sit alone in rooms dreaming of families, women sit alone wishing for the perfect lover as they swat away half a dozen men a night. Our expectations have wandered from reality. And is that really a surprise in a world where we divine our morals and self-worth from the television and the internet?