[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 68 KB, 535x655, 1341031130785.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3902853 No.3902853 [Reply] [Original]

If you choose to discuss the plausibility or implausibility of religion, you've already lost.

>> No.3902860

Continue on from deleted?
I agree, except I think you mean God, not religion.

>> No.3902864

Comment I was to bost:
And yet all our great historical movements have been related to religion.
The Sumerians were able to achieve what they did due to their pagan religion.
The pagan Greeks were far ahead of the rest of the world due to their superior religion.
Rome overtook all due to religious superiority.
Christianity overtook Rome, and is still the strongest religion in the world.
The superior always supersedes the inferior, and yet you resist it so that you can have sex and do drugs. Why?

>> No.3902866

>>3902864
Post. Foolish me.

>> No.3902872

>>3902860

A correct, but irrelevant, alteration.

>>3902864

0/10. Refutation: correlation is not causation.

>> No.3902873

>>3902853
well, shit, you're right. Though I don't think many people have denied the existence of Christianity, Islam or Budhism.

>> No.3902875

>>3902866
>>3902864
Boasting about Christianity and being condescending to non-believers is very un-Christian.

>> No.3902878

>>3902872
You deny that the superior dominates the inferior? You fool.
... You're just an atheist so that you can have a lot of sex, aren't you?

>> No.3902882

>>3902875
I'm not "boasting" or being condescending, I'm pointing out facts to morons.

>> No.3902884
File: 15 KB, 528x434, internet arguments won.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3902873

My life's work, invalidated. Pic related.

>>3902878

Why are you even posting

>> No.3902910

>>3902884
>Why are you even posting
To rustle your adolescent jimmies with superior logic and vision, obviously.

>> No.3902928

I was considering making a new thread, if only because OP didn't have the courage to finish the journey he started.

The most common early Christian objects that we know of, those that came fairly soon after the death of Christ, is pottery. Clay pots were very inexpensive, and everyone needed them in one way or another. What's interesting is that the motifs used are barely identifiable as Christian images--fish, lambs, and so on. So if we think that these people were "closer to Christ" or more authentic, there's something about Christianity that has to be hidden. Even the tombs were subtly decorated with themes that were already being used elsewhere.

Contrast this to the most popular theme that came after, ex-votos. These were tokens, usually silver or brass, which thanked God for providing. Prayer tokens, no? And these were given to shrines as thanks for healing. There's an intersection between prayer and the System, prayer that works through the System and prayer that works as the System, which you may call capitalism or whatever. Which is more Christian? I suppose it depends on how Christ-like you think saints can be.

In any event, the anon in the last thread who posted pictures of starving African children as some refutation of God's plan can't be condemned enough. Are these children just talking pieces? Were there no starving children in Christ's time? It is God's work to feed the hungry, but this work is fulfilled in us, not in heaven. Sitting on your hands, benefiting from the world that exploits them--this helps no one but yourself. I don't know God's plan enough to know why suffering happens--just as you surely don't know enough about the universe to explain it beyond petty material relations--but I know this much.

>> No.3902934

dubs

>> No.3902944

>>3902934
surely the worst form of despair