[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 212 KB, 742x1024, 1327899241526.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3894063 No.3894063 [Reply] [Original]

Looking for something kind of specific recs, I guess.

I like Murakami's short stories a lot, and having read that he was influenced (or, at the very least, really likes) Raymond Carver, I recently started reading him too and so far I'm enjoying him greatly. That said, I like a little bit of (un)reality - I'm a huge fan of magical realism.

Any recs for good magical realism short stories, or short stories in the style/vein as Carver and Murakami?

>> No.3894133

bump

>> No.3894159

The Book of Fantasy edited by Borges

>> No.3894317

>>3894159
Borges in general, I think

>> No.3894343

Can't recommend the whole collection, but the title story of Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned might be right up your alley.
I also recommend Borges. Consider some of Gabo's short stories, too -- they're much better than his novels in my opinion.
Mark Leyner might also interest you, but that's a little bit of a stretch.

>> No.3894352

Try Gabriel Garcia Marquez. He's more well known for his novels, but he has some good short stories.

>> No.3894621

>>3894159
Edited by him, not written?

>> No.3895823

bump

>> No.3895869
File: 24 KB, 264x413, brautigan-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3894063
Murakami likes Brautigan more.

>> No.3895926

>>3894063
Ben Okri's stuff.

>> No.3895961

>>3895869
Does he? I never read that before. Anything you can recommend by Braugtigan?

>> No.3896006

Italo Calvino is similar to Borges - The Baron in the Trees, or a Cosmicomics if you'd like a strong scifi edge.

Carver is generally associated with the minimalist fiction (aka kmart realism) of the 80s, I've never read Haruki but I'd assume the influence is in the prose, because they focused on depicting everyday (mundane) reality, a far shot from magical realism. Joy Williams, Lorrie Moore. Maybe give some of Moore's short stories a shot, she's pretty funny.

>>3895961
People'll usually tell you Trout Fishing in America. I've never read Murakami so I can't tell you if it's relevant.

>> No.3896019

>>3896006
Oh and you might like some other Japanese writers, Yukio Mishima's The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea, or Osamu Dazai's the Setting Sun feel relevant. They don't veer off into surrealism, but they still carry a strong dreamlike quality, with interesting depictions of Japanese home/suburban life. Haruki Murakami is generally a little separated from other Japanese writers, I think he carries stronger outside influences, but I understand he still writes from and explores distinctly Japanese perspectives, so if that appealed to you, I think these two books are nice starting points.

>> No.3896061

>>3896006
Calvino is a favorite of mine, actually.

>the minimalist fiction (aka kmart realism) of the 80s
I understand minimalist, but kmart realism? What's that?

>Haruki but I'd assume the influence is in the prose, because they focused on depicting everyday (mundane) reality, a far shot from magical realism.
The prose thing is correct, but the second part isn't; Murakami includes lots of reality and then slips in the "magic"/(un)reality a lot, even with the realistic parts.

>>3896019
Interesting; I'll definitely look those authors up.

>Haruki Murakami is generally a little separated from other Japanese writers, I think he carries stronger outside influences,
This is true.

>> No.3896083

>>3896061
>kmart realism
It was just a name the specific group of authors were dubbed by the press, also "dirty realism". There was also "kitchen sink realism," though I don't believe they're directly related to Carver and the like. It's referring to how these writer's mundane everyday including things like grocery stores and washing dishes, you know, the late-capitalism setting creating a bit of marked distinction from the naturalist movements of the past that tended to be either rural or ultra-urban, ie the modernization that excited the early 20th century writers had now become somewhat boring. I think, don't quote me on this, I've hardly read any of them, just figured if you were interested in digging a little further, those were some names and terms to look up.

Yeah, Calvino's a good one. Should definitely try some Borges, the Ficciones short story collection is pretty comprehensive. I think the Book of Fantasy was like him curating an anthology of fantasy works he liked from various authors; assuming this is you >>3894621

>> No.3896095

>>3896083
That makes sense. I figured you meant those terrible 99cent romance/fantasy novels you'd find at a kmart.

And yeah, that was me. That Borges thing sounds cool.

>> No.3896106

I'll add my support to the Calvino and Borges suggestions.

Also Rushdie's East, West is a collection of his short stories which generally have a drop of magical realism in them.

>> No.3896111

>>3895961
confederate general from big sur

>> No.3898139

>>3896083
Bukowski would be considered dirty realism, right?