[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 31 KB, 533x695, jonathan_strange.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3848657 No.3848657 [Reply] [Original]

How is, /lit/? I happen to know there is a lot of English culture-jerk in it, but as a Scottish American I'm willing to muscle through for a good enough story.

>> No.3848713

I liked it a great deal. (And I don't generally gravitate to fantasy.)

>> No.3848805

bretty gud

>> No.3848844

I read it as a kid and thought it was bretty gud. if you want to read about magic and fairies and all that gay shit, it's one of the better ones

>> No.3848862

It's good.

>> No.3849036

>>3848713
It isn't fantasy like Terry Brooks or Brandon Sanderson, that is, science fiction with fantastic laws of nature, it's an actual fantasy like the flights of fant'sy in English lore. There is no systematic description of the "magic system," because there is no system in their magic. That's what makes it so thrilling, because you never know what magnificent thing the magician can pull out next.

It is kind of a slog at first, at least until Jonathan Strange and the man with the thistle-down hair come into the story. I thought the war chapters were excellent and the conclusion well-done.