[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 300 KB, 425x638, 1370414133406.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3832666 No.3832666 [Reply] [Original]

How easy are Kindles/Kodos/Readers to use? And can I put pdfs and word documents on them too? What is their battery life like? Do they heat up?

As a kid I loved collecting books and owning them, but e-readers seem to be super practical for just getting information and storing books. I don't want to carry around a million books with me all the time.

>> No.3832675

If you can use a computer, which you evidently can, unless your mom typed that for you, you can use a Kindle.
You can put PDF and word docs on them, but chances are good they'll look rather fucked up. You can convert them to other, more easily read formats, through a neat little program called calibre, though, fairly easy to use as well.
Battery life (if you have an e-ink reader with no background light, for example the Kindle) is pretty decent, 3-4 weeks for me.
Doesn't heat up at all.

>> No.3832676

>>3832675

wow they sound amazing

>> No.3832686

>inb4 read real books
>inb4 paper is irrelevant
>inb4 300 posts

>> No.3832687
File: 124 KB, 1920x1440, A Bug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I own a Kindle PaperWhite.

>How easy are Kindles/Kodos/Readers to use?
Very. Just tap the screen to flip the page. Tap the left edge of the screen to go to the previous edge. All the other functionality you would want is intuitive enough and explained in the tutorial that plays when you turn it on for the first time.

>And can I put pdfs and word documents on them too?
I haven't tried either. I'm not sure about Word documents (which, as I'm sure you know, can be saved as PDFs easily enough), but there is a corner of Amazon's website which explains how to put PDFs on a Kindle.

>As a kid I loved collecting books and owning them, but e-readers seem to be super practical for just getting information and storing books. I don't want to carry around a million books with me all the time.
I procrastinated on buying an e-reader for a long time because I like reading physical books as well. My mom got a Kindle, and it didn't spark my interest in them anymore. I got a PaperWhite a few months ago because it looked decent, I had some money to spare, and I figured I could get complete works and e-book exclusive stuff. To my surprise, I enjoy reading just about anything on it. [Nevertheless, I still read plenty of physical books as well.] I can easily imagine some people not liking it, but I think most of the people (such as yourself) who find the e-readers questionable would be pleasantly surprised to get one.

>> No.3833022
File: 29 KB, 460x276, wat_Claudius.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3832675

mfw i put PDFs into Calibre and it shits itself

>> No.3833027

The Kindle White Light or w/e, has 8 weeks battery life. Friend of mine told me to get one and I haven't regretted it since. It's really handy for the books that I can't afford :(

>> No.3833025

get one with a backlight at least, nothing else, also don't get one of those weird tablet hybrids like the kindle fire, you don't need that garbage

>> No.3833059

I got a Nook SimpleTouch about 2 years ago for Christmas unexpectedly, as I was always a pretty staunch "read real books, faggot" kinda guy.

Shit, I love it though. I can carry tons of books and read what I want, make highlights, etc. I still prefer physical books, but convience wise alone e-readers are amazing.

Also, easy as fuck to use and never overheats. Great battery life too, but get the model with the backlight

>> No.3833163

Backlight isn't really necessary, just get a case and little clip light.

Best thing about it is the free/range of books. Anything I want, anytime

>> No.3833237

does anyone have a link to something explaining how to put the the nook simple touch micro sd card, in and organize books you'know better than barnes and nobles site?

>> No.3833251

>>3832666
>How easy are Kindles/Kodos/Readers to use?
Not that easy. They are lacking for buttons and the ones they have are usually of the lowest quality.
>And can I put pdfs and word documents on them too?
Some of them
>What is their battery life like?
No backlight? Infinite.
>Do they heat up?
No
>As a kid I loved collecting books and owning them, but e-readers seem to be super practical for just getting information and storing books. I don't want to carry around a million books with me all the time.
Now I get to post my life story right? I require my laptop with me whenever I'm at uni. Rather than carrying another device (kindle, physical book), I read html files on my browser. I prefer the format because it breaks the novel into smaller pieces so if my computer ever restarts itself I can easily find my spot (not so easy for epubs or unprofessional pdfs).

>> No.3833258
File: 32 KB, 527x399, 2011_04_24_amazon_kindle_special_offers_sale_ads.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3832676

Mobi files work perfectly on kindle; pdfs, on the hand, are a pain in the ass to read on a kindle (especially the kindle in this pic). Epubs don't work on it, but that's no problem, because I could just convert them to mobi. I found that you get a bad result when you convert a pdf into a mobi. The text comes out smaller than you wanted it to and sometimes sentences are all over the place. They aren't even paragraphs.

I bought it before the 70 dollar ones came out.

What e-reader uses epubs as a default format? the nook? Sorry for being ignorant. I've never used a nook before.

>> No.3833264

>>3833237
Do you really need a guide explaining how to slide a card into a card slot? Did you need special assistance and a step-by-step guide when you swiped your first credit card?

If you use Calibre to upload books to the Nook, it takes care of organization for you. Books are placed in folders labeled with authors.

>> No.3833269

Someone needs to create a wiki and add it to the sticky.or some shit. There are too many of these threads.

>> No.3833270

>>3833258
If you have the problem where PDFs are really small, import the text into Word or Openoffice. Then just bump up the font to like 20-22, and save as PDF. Put it back into Calibre and onto the Kindle and it should be a normal mobi size font

>> No.3833271

>>3833025
>backlight
enjoy your shitty reading experience

frontlight or nothing

>> No.3833274

>>3833258
I'm pretty sure that everything that isn't a Kindle uses epub as a default format. Mobi existed before Kindles did but Amazon uses their own proprietary version of .mobi because they want to create a walled garden like Apple does with their shit. Similarly, ebooks purchased from other online retailers will often use .epub with DRM but the DRM can be stripped in both cases (mobi and epub).

Basically, fuck online retailers of digital goods, especially Amazon.

>> No.3833276

>>3833271

>needing a light

Isn't a lamp enough?

>> No.3833278

>>3833269
There are already multiple guides, charts, wikis, review videos, etc that go through every e-reader in detail, but that doesn't stop anyone from asking about this shit here 20 times daily.

Notice how the sticky clearly explains how to download books, and yet there have been about 300 posts in the past week alone with people asking where to get books. Very few people are going to read the sticky or look at the guides.

>> No.3833282

>>3833278
You're right unfortunately. People are idiots. Do they just create threads without even scrolling downwards? It's pretty hard to miss.

>> No.3833284

>>3833282
>Do they just create threads without even scrolling downwards?

I don't know. If we could easily understand how the minds of idiots work, maybe we could address their problems more easily and find a way to prevent more of these threads. Nobody knows what goes through their heads.

>> No.3833285

>>3833258
I own a Kobo Glo and I think it uses Epub as its default format, althought more than "default" it's basically the most used one, there's few books out there in .mobi or .lit format, I guess because epub is open standards and nerds love that.

My two cents about the Kobo: It's fantastic for epub, the light helps a lot, i use it even during the day, depending on where I am (for instance when I'mriding the bus I turn the light on) and during the night it's fantastic, i can turn the light off my room and read in my bed and don't worry about falling asleep and having to get up to turn it off.

I think Kobo Glo and paperwhite are pretty much the same, with kindle you get the huge library and customer support, but I've heard a lot of people complaining about dead pixels and having to replace their kindles four or five times.
The Kobo doesn't have such a big collection but nobody buys e-books, at least nobody intelligent

Also, if you're gonna buy a Kobo, think about the Kobo Aura

>> No.3833286

>>3833276
>needing lighting

isn't natural light enough?

>> No.3833293

>>3833286
Somebody turned the sun off.
Somebody else used the energy saving light bulb conversion as an excuse to remove high powered, bright lights from the market and now I can't see shit.

>> No.3833295

Super awesome to use. Extremely long battery life (two weeks minimum, assuming you read A LOT). No heating problems. I got a Kindle as a graduation present and didn't expect to ever use it, but the e-ink thing and the convenience (along with ease of piracy) have made it so I rarely read printed books anymore.

>> No.3833310

>>3833258
are tabs (such as Galaxy s3) better at handling pdfs?

>> No.3833340

My favourite Kindle feature (don't know if the others have this, wouldn't be surprised if they did) is the inbuilt dictionary. Reading an older author who uses outdated English terms? Long-press the word you're not sure about and it'll tell you what it means.
Fucking fantastic.

>> No.3833343

>>3833310
Yes, because they can into reflowing. S3 is a phone though.

>> No.3833349

putting pdf's into a kindle is a pain in the ass.

torrent ABBY Finereader, load pdf into finereader (takes a while) edit out headers footers and page numbers (can be done automatically, save as html, load html in calibre, convert to mobi

pain in the ass

>> No.3833378

>>3833349
or you can just read them as pdfs, more often than not, if the file/scan is quality, you'll have no problems.

>> No.3833391

I had two e-readers before getting tablet (nexus 7). I mostly read heavy pdf:s of textbooks and they were pretty much unreadable on e-readers.

>> No.3833827

I have a Kindle, and shitty pdfs (scans from a book) are kind of a bitch, actual documents are not bad