[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.02 MB, 321x273, 5xCcmoJ.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3827409 No.3827409[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Could you please recommend interesting books and/or essays on "pulling out" from the cyber society imposed over our material society?

Thank you.

>> No.3827426

PROTIP: Never post a picture more interesting than your topic.

>> No.3827437

>>3827426

>> No.3827463

story about rejecting machines?

>> No.3827467

depends on what you mean by "good". grab a Whole Earth Catalog, a few years of "Coevolution Quarterly" and some "Backwoods Home". There'll be dozens on this topic from philosophy to "How-To"

>> No.3827506

>>3827463

Rejecting the cyber motifs that we didn't evolve to deal with.

>> No.3827516

>>3827409
you want matrix novels?

>tfw you will never lay down on a huge titporch

>> No.3827522

>>3827516

Good modern Matrix like novels? Yes.

>> No.3827563
File: 35 KB, 262x394, Present-Shock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Present Shock by Douglas Rushkoff. He's a super insightful writer who's been writing about the Internet and its positive/negative social and psychological effects for 20 years now.

"This is the moment we’ve been waiting for, explains award-winning media theorist Douglas Rushkoff, but we don’t seem to have any time in which to live it. Instead we remain poised and frozen, overwhelmed by an always-on, live-streamed reality that our human bodies and minds can never truly inhabit. And our failure to do so has had wide-ranging effects on every aspect of our lives.

People spent the twentieth century obsessed with the future. We created technologies that would help connect us faster, gather news, map the planet, compile knowledge, and connect with anyone, at anytime. We strove for an instantaneous network where time and space could be compressed.

Well, the future’s arrived. We live in a continuous now enabled by Twitter, email, and a so-called real-time technological shift. Yet this “now” is an elusive goal that we can never quite reach. And the dissonance between our digital selves and our analog bodies has thrown us into a new state of anxiety: present shock."

>> No.3827604

>>3827563
>Douglas Rushkoff
are you douglas rushkoff
if not, who are you that you care about douglas rushkoff?

>> No.3827654

>>3827604
Are you implying his ideas aren't solid or have you just not heard of him? Either way, weird response.

I guess because he coined the term 'viral media', wrote for Wired in the early 90s, forecasted the dotcom bubble, and wrote about the coming sociological impact of the Internet at a time when people were thinking it was a fad? I like his books because they don't just decry technology and advocate Luddism like other authors of similar topics do.

>> No.3828335

>>3827563
I put this on my Amazon wishlist after watching his interview on the Daily Show. The content described looked super insightful, so I'm glad someone on /lit/ was able to confirm as such. Thanks anon.