[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 28 KB, 226x273, bloom, harold.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3774657 No.3774657 [Reply] [Original]

>At first it's elusive as hell, but once Stephen starts to develop mentally, it goes through some very well rendered (if fairly standard) buldinsroman tropes. Especially the little creative epiphanies he has along the way, which feel vital and at times, even beautiful almost a century later. There is a lot of mucking about with nascent catholic guilt, and the various kinds of guilt that arise from blindly accepting, fighting and eventually rejecting said catholic guilt. I felt like there might also have been a whole layer of classical allusions which I'm just not educated enough to get, what with the little quips in latin and all. I like Stephen Daedalus, but I didn't find myself genuinely caring about his ambitions and insecurities the way I did with the characters in Dubliners.

>At first it's elusive as hell
>buldinsroman
>nascent catholic guilt
>caring about his ambitions and insecurities the way I did with the characters in Dubliners

>> No.3774675

>Identifying with characters

He may have forbidden his Cornell students from identifying or sympathizing with any fictional characters. But identifying with the author was a different matter. Nabokov told his students of writers’ travails, urging them to consider the number of days Flaubert took to write the scene with Emma and Leon in the Lion d’Or.