[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 216 KB, 500x741, 1364676143109.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3760329 No.3760329 [Reply] [Original]

Screenwriting is literature right?

Good.

We never discuss screenwriting on /lit/ (ever). That should change.

Screenwriting is pretty much one of the most lucrative career paths a writer can take. One problem, why is there so much garbage constantly being churned out in the media? Why is there such a lack of good screenwriters? Nepotism? What?

I've written a play before, shouldn't be too different from screenwriting right? Anyone with any experience with the industry? Any tips? Anywhere I should start?

>> No.3760346

Screenwriting is quite similar to playwriting, except you can take much greater liberties in terms of movement, settings etc.. Like playwriting, you only really occupy yourself with dialogue, and the very bare minimum in terms of setting, props, costume, etc.. A general rule of thumb is that if something doesn't have any relevance to the plot, leave it out and talk to the director about it (eg. don't write that somebody is wearing a hat unless they take it off and try to kill people with it). There are also very specific formatting/structure rules, but you can find them online.

I actually find screenwriting more fun than playwriting because you're so much more free in terms of plot.

>> No.3760353

I said no.

>>>/tv/

>> No.3760365

>>3760329
>Screenwriting is pretty much one of the most lucrative career paths a writer can take.
Yes. Unfortunately. (This is what ruined literature in 2013, not 'Twitlight' or 'Fiddy Shades' or whatever.)
>One problem, why is there so much garbage constantly being churned out in the media?
Because, ultimately, the screenwriter has no say in the final product. Whatever the producer says is the final word, and the producers are literally (literally) cuntrag asshats.

>Screenwriting is literature right?
No. See above -- it's only literature if you're the sole master and commander of your work.

>> No.3760391

I like Lena Dunham's teleplays, personally. Nepotism or not she has an interesting voice.

I'm taking a screenwriting course at Melbourne University at the moment. It's been fun, but I don't see it as ever being fulfilling. Even if it's lucrative. Moreover, writing on spec seems to be a thing of the past. You're either connected or you're not.

>> No.3760397
File: 98 KB, 402x402, William-Shakespeare-194895-1-402.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3760329
Screenwriting is not /lit/

>> No.3760403

>>3760391

>You're either connected or you're not.

one of the main things keeping me from trying to get into film. i'm too much of a social retard to be able to "network" to the degree needed

>> No.3760420

>>3760403
Hmm, yeah. I know this feel.
I'm not exaggerating when I say I've completely abandoned two of my biggest dream jobs simply because they required more "networking" than I was willing to do.

I only have 50 Facebook friends and I can barely juggle them. And that's fucking Facebook, not real life.

>> No.3760421

>>3760391
no one will even look at a spec script anymore.
Advice from studios is: make a graphic novel first, then we will adapt it.

>> No.3760432

>>3760421
>write a script and storyboard
Fix'd

>> No.3760443

>>3760403
Charlie Kaufman was in your shoes, but he pulled it off.
His twin brother died in the process, but it was worth it.

>> No.3760471

>>3760432
no. they will tell you to write a graphic novel because comic adaptations are what sell right now.