[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 98 KB, 353x500, L.N.Tolstoy_Prokudin-Gorsky.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3741587 No.3741587 [Reply] [Original]

Tolstoy is my favourite author. Every summer for the lastt couple of years I've read Anna Karenina or War and Peace.

I could read both but I don't think I will.

Which should I read this time, /lit/? Last summer I read Anna Karenina.

>> No.3741664

>>3741587
You go full Christian Anarchist Tolstoy.

>> No.3741683

I really like his short stories. Almost as much as Chekhov (I'm not a Russophile). His novella _The Death of Ivan Ilyich_ is fantastic. Definitely more of his spiritual side comes out in that story.

>> No.3742847

Ressurection

>> No.3742879

Despite book 4 (or was it 3) where Levin goes full in the zone mode cutting his crops being ridiculously awesome, what do you think of his final epiphany that he essentially does not need to reason to understand what is good? Do you see it as a Kierkegaardian leap of faith?

Do you think that Anna Karenina herself is condemned by Tolstoy in the novel simply as a result of his world (the culture at the time demanded that she be destroyed) or that he condemned her choices himself? I have read, in the introduction to the Pevear translation and also in the Cambridge guide to Tolstoy that he allows Levin a happy life and AK a suicide because Levin has chosen family and AK disregarded it, however, I don't think this is necessarily Tolstoy's actual feeling but rather his interpretation of the times.

Please throw down your thoughts if you have read it several times (as I have only read it once).

>> No.3744535

Wtf even the guy who read it multiple times doesnt wanna talk about it

>> No.3744551

I prefer Anna Karenina, so read that.

>> No.3746003

>>3742879
Anyone wanna talk about AK?

>> No.3746013

Levin is a deep and interesting study of character or psychology. His intellectual and spiritual questioning is a journey toward conformism in religion and politics.

>> No.3746018

I've only read Ivan Ilyich by Tolstoy. I'm thinking of reading either war and peace or anna karenina this summer. which do you recommend?

>> No.3746019

>>3746018

also which translation?

>> No.3746058

>>3746013
how is it a journey toward conformism? his eventual spiritual epiphany was anything but conventional

>> No.3746072

>>3746018
all of the characters in anna karenina are more compelling that those in war and peace in my opinion with the exception of the eponymous character who is the low point of the novel.

pierre from war and peace is still god tier, but levin beats him out. for story, i'd go war and peace, but for characters i'd go anna karenina.

pevear translation