[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 22 KB, 350x500, V..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3735087 No.3735087[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What is the point of Benny's whole story in pic related? I liked his chapters the best but it had absolutely no relevance to the story except for his trip to Malta with Stencil.

watch /lit/ actually talk about books

>> No.3735108

Why must there be a point?

>> No.3735119

>>3735108
There doesn't, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the destinies and paths of the two were marvelously linked or something.

>> No.3735174

Benny interacts with a variety of characters and myths that are highly relevant to the other chapters. For example, the dummy that Profane 'speaks' to possesses similar characteristics to V. in various forms (the spy and the mechanical Bad Priest), and he also encounters the myth of V. as a seductress rat. They are linked, but it does take a hint of thinking to manufacture a working reading of why.

Also:

What does it mean to Yoyo? In the Profane chapters it is repeatedly described as simply moving back and forth, often includes getting drunk, a sort of decadent competition manifested as meaningless, repeated excursion. There is no reason for the New York proto-hipsters to be riding the subway back and forth, but they do it endlessly, from start point to end point over and over. But! Plot it on a graph: time on the X axis and location on the Y.

What are they doing?

>> No.3735183

Their destinies link at a certain point in space and time and then are forever split, diverging away from each other like a V stretching into infinity... See what I did there?