[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 286x270, history of screaming.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3692689 No.3692689 [Reply] [Original]

>be terrified of deep time
>read Manifold: Space anyway

WHY DID I DO THIS

>> No.3692698

>>3692689
How did you like the book?

>> No.3692712

>>3692698
It was good, just not at all the kind of thing I like. I got it because it was a Recommended Book, much like the Culture novels and the Hyperion Cantos.

Of course, I made it...maybe a third of the way into the first book of the HC? Last thing I remember was them finding the missionary crucified on the Lightning Tree to break himself of regeneration.

I prefer classic cyberpunk and other small-scale stories. It's the impersonality of deep time that scares me.

I was hoping that somehow, at some point, Reid Malenfant would get thrown back in time to get his wish, to eat chips and watch the Twilight Zone in the 21st century. But that's not the kind of book it is. Sadly.

Of course, the stuff I really like-the better Star Wars Expanded Universe stuff (Anything by Zahn and the Lando Calrissian/Han Solo novels) and the Dresden Files-I'll be mocked for enjoying, and probably rightly so.

I just prefer lively adventure in a living universe to the bleak impersonality of Epic Hard SF.

>> No.3692733

A few days ago I was really bummed out about being a historical construct along a deep timeline.

Then I got over it.