[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 84 KB, 200x219, A_Game_of_Thrones_Novel_Covers.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3679328 No.3679328 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/,

since I don't know where else to ask, I figured this board would be the best place.

I have started reacing the "A Song Of Ice And Fire" saga last year and am currently at the last book. Since I really enjoy the books, I would like to know what else there is, (high?) fantasy written in a similar style.

It will be quite some time until GRRM released the next book and I have really come to love the genre and his way of writing. I would appreciate it, if this thread did not turn into a "TV series vs the books" discussion.

Thanks in advance!

>> No.3679350

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.

>> No.3679368

>>3679350
Thanks!

I also wouldn't mind something with dwarves and elves either, as long as it is a big scale series that stretches over several books.

Sorry btw for maybe not using the terms correctly, but "fantasy" in general has become an interesting genre for me lately, so really anything goes as long as it fills enough pages and has an interesting plot/characters.

>> No.3679389

I'm absolutely no judge of style and can't therefore recommend anything that is similar in that regard, but I can dump epic fantasy recommendations (I'm not sure how useful such a dump is, but eh):

First Law (Abercrombie) (finished)
Long Price (Abraham; arguably only last half is epic fantasy) (finished)
Prince of Nothing (Bakker) (Prince of Nothing is finished, but the greater series is unfinished)
Dread Empire (Cook) (finished)
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (Donaldson) (third chronicles unfinished)
Worm Ouroboros (Eddison) (single novel)
Malazan Book of the Fallen (Erikson) (finished)
Sword of Shadows (Jones) (unfinished)
Wheel of Time (Jordan) (finished)
Monarchies of God (Kearney) (finished)
Saga of Pliocene Exiles (May; it's not really epic fantasy but I think you could read it as one) (finished)
Engineer (Parker) (finished)
Memory, Sorrow and Thorn (Williams) (finished)

>> No.3679414

>>3679350
I only liked WoT for its influences on the Escape Velocity games (along with those telepath books by what's-her-fuck). The "all men are stupid, all women are crazy" shit really grated on me.

>> No.3679430
File: 87 KB, 804x500, wiagb4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3679389
Seconding MBotF