[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 45 KB, 302x475, dorian.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3652650 No.3652650 [Reply] [Original]

1. Find one of your favorite books on Amazon
2. Find a review that makes you rage or go wtf
3. Post it ITT

>Dorian Gray is not a kid book by any stretch of the imagination. No swordfights, no prince and princess, no happy ending. Dorian Gray is a very dark work with drug use, murder, and depression. One of the main themes is homosexuality. It shocked and outraged the public when it was first realeased. It is scary. It scared me . Frankly, I doubt very much that many children would appreciate this book. Colleges study this book in literature classes. That's not to say no child would not get stuff from this book, but the few children that could would probably be just fine with the original work. Folks, stick to Treasure Island and White Fang for the kids. And if you want something kinda spooky, try Phantom of the Opera. Save Dorian Gray for later.

>> No.3652682

the metamorphosis

>When my AP English teacher assigned us to read Metamorphosis, I was intrigued and looking forward to it. Unfortunatly, within the first ten pages I was nauseated and disgusted. The plot, while it has obvious connections to Kafka's life, is not in any way an enjoyable story. The Metamorphosis is an odd, stupid, pointless novella that is very much a waste of time.

>all of my why

>> No.3652687
File: 16 KB, 300x300, cats cradle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The book started out with the main character John telling us that he wants to write a book about the creation of the atom bomb. But, the book is nothing about the atom bomb, in fact the atom bomb is rarely mentioned. The book then went on to tell us about how he went to the lab where the bomb was created, and talked to the late Dr. Felix Hoenikker's family and friends. Then John started telling us about this weird made up religion called Bokonon. This is where the book starts to become horrible... Crazy things start happening and none of them make any sense at all. The reason I chose to read this book was that I had read Slaughter House 5, and loved it. But this book wasn't written anything like SL5. I absolutely hated this book because of the fact there was abosolutely no point to it. Every book I've read has had a theme to it, but not this one. No important stories were told, no messages were expressed, and no action occurred. The book was extremely dark and hadn't even the slightest bit of happiness in it. I would recommend this book to know one because it's an absolute waste of time to read.

>> No.3652700
File: 37 KB, 266x387, SomethingHappened (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In a lot of ways, I completely agree with the opinions of those reviewers who loved "Something Happened". The characterization is quite good, Heller's dialogue is sharp, his descriptions are vivid, and the satire is perhaps profound. I will always appreciate F. Scott Fitzgerald's ability to describe and illuminate humanity, and Heller comes close in creating Bob Slocum, a man who opens himself up to us in what seems like a long journal.
With all of that said, though, I had a hard time working through the novel. It's simply too repetitive. The rhythm is tedious and slow. I don't think one needs graphic violence or action to make a plot exciting, but Heller goes to great lengths to make sure that nothing actually takes place in the present until the absolute very end of the book. Also, I found this work just too depressing. I, too, have lived a while, and struggle to understand just how pathetic Bob's existence really is.

For the prospective reader: do not pick this book up capriciously. You won't finish it. Prepare for 500+ pages of repetive recollections on a life poorly-lived.

>> No.3652711
File: 71 KB, 312x471, pg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Idon't want to hear about some dumb priest trying to run away from the lutinant just because he disobeyed some rules

>> No.3652715
File: 12 KB, 300x300, anthem.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Having read THE FOUNTAINHEAD and ATLAS SHRUGGED many, many years ago, and having both those books completely change my life, I wanted to see what ANTHEM was all about. One often fears that a great writer has "used up" their energy and creativity in their major opus, and this was my hesitation in coming to this book. But my fears were unfounded, for ANTEHM is just as good as anything else Rand has written. The characters are as deep and complex as they are in her other works, and as usual, she has a powerful message. While I tend to stick with a good page-turner like THE DA VINCI CODE or THE BARK OF THE DOGWOOD, I do occasionally go back to what I term "classical" writers. ANTHEM is one book that Rand fans must read. Shorter and less heavy than FOUNTAINHEAD or ATLAS, this makes for a great summer read.

>> No.3652719
File: 296 KB, 763x1173, Dubliners.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>James Joyce is the most unreadable author to ever have been washed into xistance from the womb of Ireland. It is an indication of the non-relevance of education today, that this book is required reading for many of our youths. This novel belongs on the mantle of some poor sod who can't find anything better to do with his time other than perhaps wacking himself repeatedly on the genitals with a blunt object ad infinitum. Beleive me, this book is less painful, but only in that it ENDS. Avoid it at all costs, and punch anyone who recommends it to you square in the gob.

>> No.3652720

>>3652687
>no important stories were told, no messages were expressed, and no action occurred
that is so beautifully inaccurate

>> No.3652729
File: 21 KB, 300x300, mc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>The book Martian Chronicals by Ray Bradbury is ,if not the worst, one of the worst books I have ever read. Not only was the plot poorly developed, but the words used were used poorly. Certainly one of the worst examples of writing that I have seen. Ray Bradbury has never been my favorite author but this book was simply horid. It was not only graphic but also inappropriate for people under the age of 18. It was also offensive to people between the ages of 22 and 93. If I could I would give this book 0 stars. This book was definitely a turn off to reading.

>> No.3652731

The Old Man and the Sea is a boring worthless peace of nothing. Only the def and the blind consider it literature.

incredibly boring

one of the most boring books I had ever read.

>> No.3652734

>>3652731
>it could be single-handedly responsible for narcolepsy. But I guess since the bigshot Hemingway wrote it, we're all supposed to nod our heads and smile and say "way deep novel symbolizing man's struggle against nature" like subjects in The Emporer's New Clothes. Well, I for one will not call invisible talent talent just because it was written by "literary" royalty. Please, spare yourself the misery of this dreadful waste of trees. Hopefully, it is no longer required reading like it was when I was in school.

>> No.3652740
File: 54 KB, 287x475, om.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>This book is not at all what I expected from John Irving. Not only is the story weak, it is truly insipid and carries on and on with vulgar and unrelated information for pages and pages. The book focuses on this supposedly faithful Owen Meany, who is a complete hipocrite, and works completely against the them of faith that is supposed to be put forth. I truly have never found a more mediocre and badly written story with as irritating a character as Owen Meany and his rediculuously pathetic friend who narrates the story. How John Irving of all people manages to come up with the out there story line is incomprehensible - it seems as if he couldn't decide what type of story he wanted to write. The only thing that is more amazing than that an excellent writer could write such basic level trash is that people could actually enjoy it. Save yourself and read one of his other books.

this book is not about FINDING faith at all [/spolier]

>> No.3652747
File: 165 KB, 313x474, 714PH4X5FRL.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Read this book before going on vacation and I couldn't find my cruise liner in the port. Vacation ruined.

>> No.3652751

Dorian Grey is a gem

>> No.3652759

>Room with a view - E.M. Forster

>I was forced to read this book for an English assignment in ninth grade. It took me forever to read because it didn't show any point to me. The characters were very confusing and ahrd to keep up with. I never really got into the book because it was so boring. I basically read the words on the page and didn't take anything in because I couldn't. Please don't waste your time on this book. Read something from Michael Crichton instead.

>> No.3652762
File: 323 KB, 1236x2045, fahrenheit-451.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This won the raging palm. Then again, couldn't go very far.

"I thought this was one of the worst books I've ever read. The characters were entirely unconvincing - e.g. the professor with the strange name who can only express himself using metaphors. The plot is just a predictable and flimsy excuse for a parable about the dangers of modern society. I read it, because I'd bought it, but I found almost every word an insult to my intelligence."

>> No.3652770
File: 12 KB, 300x300, mk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>This was a dull and very unimpressive book. Maybe I just don't appreciate high-art and metaphysical intrigue, but if you're like me and hate reading about existential crises and post-modernist ramblings for fun, then skip this one for your own good. If you're one of those people who can't appreciate Picasso's Cubist paintings, you'll be just as frustrated with this book. Plus underneath it all, it's just another harlequin romance (about a woman trying to find her ideal lover). If you really want to get your brains going in circles without all the pretentiousness, try Sartre's Nausea or Camus's Stranger.

eerie aptcha: Prague dydramo

>> No.3652772
File: 287 KB, 827x1300, stoner.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>So depressing!

>This is not a new book and obviously is a book many have read and enjoyed. I can only say one thing: depressing. There was not one high point in the entire book. Once I start a book, I always finish. Perhaps this is reality but I can get that by reading the newspaper. A commentary on a very sad, pathetic group of people. I wanted to do something to make any one of them even smile! I just can't recommend this unless you truly enjoy depressing books.

>> No.3652774

>>3652759
>>3652762

These ones really get me because the reviewer talks as if they're the top of the pole and their feelings about the book are applicable for everyone.

>> No.3652777

>>3652650
>This adult book is not for children! One star.

>> No.3652781
File: 18 KB, 300x300, naked lunch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>This book was seems to have been written solely to shock the "squares" (to use Burroughs' dated lingo from his dated book). Maybe it once did, but it's old news now. It's not even erotic. It made me yawn.
A book that has aged better is "Journey to the End of the Night" by Celine. Read that instead.

>> No.3652783
File: 444 KB, 500x815, 1984-book-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't even...

"I was doing a research paper on the year 1984, and according to my teacher, NONE of this actually happened.
I got a flippin' F.

Last time I ever read a history book by this Orwell scrub.
He doesn't know a thing about the 80s.
Not ONCE did he mention Def Leppard or Karma Chameleon.

I gave my copy to a donkey.

He said it was about communism.
Ass. "

>> No.3652784
File: 25 KB, 420x677, I wuv you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I was so excited about reading this book - but I ended up giving up after only a few chapters. Although the dialect was unique, it really distracted me from the story. If you haven't already purchased this book, I would suggest reading the first chapter to get a feel for it. As for me, I think I'll just rent the movie.

>> No.3652787

>>3652783
Hah, the ending joke was bad but the idea of a kid using 1984 to do a report on 1984 makes me laugh.

>> No.3652789
File: 13 KB, 300x300, cuckoo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Over all I feel that this book to me wasn't one i would have read on my own. I really couldn't get into it or find a pattern or relate with any of the concepts that went on in this book. The title describes this book very well. It is crazy, hard to follow and written in a way that puts all of what we were taught in English classes to shame. I feel the simplistic writing it how it actually would have happened is a mockery of writing. The plot was hard to get into and a complete dissappointment in the end. I really feel that this book is a shame and really dont think it should have been published. It got the point through but you could only find it after you corrected the language and grammatical errors in the book. To me that is not how i want to read a book. I understand and can comprehend hard books and books that leave stuff to the imagination, with no problem. But i absolutely could not get into this book. I do not recommend it for any type of reading. Not relaxation, leisure or school reading. The only way I suggest you read this is if you are shallow minded and can forget everything you've been taught since the 1st grade. 2 thumbs down says adams and eber.

>> No.3652791

>>3652783

C'mon man, it's a joke. How fucking gullible are you? If "scrub" didn't give it away, the Karma Chameleon drop definitely should have.

>> No.3652795

>>3652784

despite how much i loved the movie, fuckin hell the book is a whole different thing

>> No.3652804

>>3652784
I don't see the problem here: the dialect does distract from the story, and they're also doing a wonderful job of avoiding the trap of saying "I didn't get this book, therefore it sucks" but instead saying "something about this put me off, just a warning, you might like it though". If you're gonna do a negative review of a much loved book, this is how you do it.

>> No.3652808
File: 9 KB, 182x277, kokoro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'll refrain from posting 1 star reviews of Lolita since they're too predictable.

>i had to read this book for a world civilizations class. this book is a pathetic attempt and should not be used for any class. the first half shouldn't have been written and the second been cut down dramatically. foreshadowing is fine and all, but half a book of it is just pointless. the character "K" also has a few problems himself. why would any man go to the same swimming spot as another, and try to see him again and again. this is just obsurd and the rest of it is aswell. no man would ever kill himself so his friend would not feel guilty being with a girl that they both liked. i know this was not present day or anything, but one would get her and the other would find their own woman. i dont' really know why i'm writting this, i guess just because i'm pissed i had to read this boring book. i'm sorry for anyone else that is in the same situation as me. this book and its themes should have been in a essay or a short story. nothing would have been lost and everyones time would not have been lost either. blah blah blah hope this helps everyone decide to not buy this book and to stare at a wall instead. that definitely would be a better time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>> No.3652814

>>3652808
Forgot to mention the subject line:
>wooooow gay,

>> No.3652818

I fucking hate it when they pull the "emperor's new clothes" line. Because apparently it isn't enough to say YOU didn't like a book, you have to say that everyone who did like it was either lying or deluded - because obviously people aren't allowed their own opinions.

>> No.3652820
File: 24 KB, 300x300, ht.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Fear and Loathing is just NOT fear and loathing when it takes a tedious and disappointing turn into polotics and other extremely uninteresting matters. Hunter, what's up man? Get back to the drug-induced random ravings and rantings. My advice is to stick with the orginal Vegas Loathing, this just doesn't compare.

>> No.3652836
File: 181 KB, 400x654, tumblr_m676x6GMst1qgu5b6o1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Who is this person thinking he is?

Shakespeare wrote. Tolstoy criticized Shakespeare. Orwell criticized Tolstoy. Now it is my responsibility to continue the English-Russian-English-Russian pattern and criticize George Orwell. Although it has earned a reputation of one of our (20eth) century's most accomplished novels, I felt that the "Animal Farm" is a consistently overrated work. George Orwell's often cynical tone made me want to defend my own worst enemy - communism. Not only did he exaggerate and misinterprit historical events, which surrounded the Russian Revolution, Orwell forced me to believe that he was indeed unfamiliar with the system, which was ultimately the world's savior from fascism, a regime far more fearful. A series of mocking allegories and failed personification is, in my view, nothing more, than political propaganda of Orwell's era.

>> No.3652843

>>3652836
Oh Sorry guys, this one is WORST!
Animal Farm is the weirdest book I've ever read. In it (in a parody of the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution) animals in a UK farm overthrow their master, a Mr. Jones. Now, I fully understand the message the author is conveying, and (keep in mind I had to read it because for Grade 10 English, otherwise I'd rather be reading the latest Tom Clancy or Dale Brown thriller) while some parts were, say, tolerable, the book contained absurdities on EVERY page, such as: animals that can read, write, paint, sew, operate firearms, sing, teach, trade, and form Communist dictatorships. Well, the only way I got myself throgh this extremely (thank God) short novel was to lock myself into a room, read it, and get it over with

>> No.3652845

>>3652836
better than all of the others in this thread

>> No.3652846

>>3652836
The next Tolstoy, obviously.

>> No.3652848

>>3652843
lol
"Animal Farm? That's bullshit, animals can't talk!"

>> No.3652850

>>3652843
haha this sounds of the same tone from the copypasta "1. yes i added you because you're a girl gamer, tis a lovely sight to see! and 2. if anything, i'll be the one in the kitchen..."etc

also love the "otherwise i'd be reading the latest tom clancy" almost too good to be true

>> No.3652852

>>3652820
"It got so bad eventually that when places booked me to speak I wasn't sure if they were booking Thompson or Duke."

Poor guy.

>> No.3652860
File: 489 KB, 678x676, shinjiienai.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3652808
>>3652814

>> No.3652870
File: 107 KB, 576x507, rage.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3652719
>Most unreadable author
>unreadable

>> No.3652924
File: 32 KB, 306x475, crime and punishment.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>The only people who should read this book are people who belong to so called ' intelectual' parties, or people who have commited terrible crimes - it can replace death as ' The Capital Punnishment' .
>If you're intrested in good literature, smart writing, character analysis, ANYTHING... search elsewhere.
>If you shot your Teacher for forcing you to read this, you have my sympathy

Words fail me.

>> No.3652948

>>3652870
Unreadable is a word.

>> No.3652995

>>3652836
I somewhat agree with this guy - save the "[communism] the world's savior from fascism, a regime far more fearful. " drivel, there are so many things wrong with that sentence I don't know where to start. Animal farm IS infested with lazy allegories and did, and still, serves the function of an in curriculum propaganda. Just because it's not so explicit in it's function as say, the Dairy of Lei Feng or Khrushchev Thaw era publications, it doesn't make it any less so.

And I am more than willing to forgive the pedantry and conceit in memory of Orwell himself (Why I Write - Orwell - READ IT).

>> No.3653426
File: 6 KB, 140x212, index.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>This is without a doubt, the single worst book I have ever read. There is no plot or character development, far too much description of scenery and the way the story switches from the past to the present and back again makes the book impossible to understand. There are also parts of the book that are uneccessarily disgusting. This is a horrible book and it is an insult to its subject, the internment of Japanese-Canadians after the bombing of Pearl Harbour.

>wat

>> No.3653447
File: 40 KB, 600x453, bookofthecentury.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>This is without a doubt the worst book I've ever had the displeasure of reading. Foster Wallace is a writer who claims to be literary and while this book does have some tropes common to postmodern literature (a movement that really went out of style decades before this book was published), despite the fact that the man has sentence execution skills, character portrayals and plot developments that would make a hack genre fiction writer blush. The book is far too long. Nothing really happens in the plot. The book is mostly descriptions of the ugliness of its characters and the ugliness of a commercial culture --- authors have been doing this for decades, and with far more skill than Foster Wallace. Foster Wallace was a neurotic man, a loner shut-in, and eventually a somebody that took his own life. He was a bad husband and friend, unpleasant to be around. He was a narcissist, and desperately sought approval for his books for their "intellectual" content. He slept around with his female students (he was a college professor for a while), and was even violent towards a woman on at least one know occasion. Foster Wallace was a pseudo-intellectual, without even any of that tacky charm that a charlatan usually has. He was an unpleasant human being, but, I hear you say, De Sade was an unpleasant human being, but that doesn't mean he couldn't write decent prose, write? Sure, but Foster Wallace never had any talent. This book is bad. Don't read it.

omg I'm so fucking mad

>> No.3653449
File: 16 KB, 300x300, 41MhCmVyadL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Contrived. Pretentious. Juvenile. That's just the introduction, in which the author discusses his amazement at the popularity this book has gained. It is equally astonishing for any reader who is able to endure more than five pages of: "The Soul of the World spoke to the Heart of the Boy as he prayed to the God of the Dessert who commanded the Spirit of the Wind..." I found myself praying to the God of Literature that the boy's beloved sheep would stampeded and trample him to death, sparing me from the Demons of Boredom. If you liked the Celestine Prophecy you'll love The Alchemist. You can read it while you're waiting for the mothership to return. Otherwise, take a pass and read something more intellectually engaging, like the tax code.

>> No.3653469

>>3652995
Propaganda of what, trotskyism? If you were more familiar with Orwell's biography or at least read this book more carefully, you'd realize it isn't directed against USSR, it's directed against Stalin's regime. Because, well, no one likes Stalin, except for Russian bydlo. For the reasons you could've familiarized yourself with by reading this book.

>> No.3653470

>>3653449
I actually fully agree with that review, everything from Coelho is shit

>> No.3653474

The Master and Margarita

>The devil and a bunch of his companions land in 1930's Stalinist Moscow and wreck havoc on the officially atheist city. What follows is an, in my opinion, incomprehensible tangle of out-of-the-ordinary events, not made any easier to comprehend due to the impression that one half of the male characters in the book seems to be called Nikolai Ivanovitsch and the other half Ivan Nikolaievitsch. There are probably a lot of very witty references to biblical events, but most of these will have escaped my atheist attention. In short: this was no fun to read.

You, sir, give atheists a bad name.

>> No.3653475

>>3652804
Are you serious?
"The way it was written disturbs me, warning!"
That's a lack of reading comprehension, not an opinion. It's not a review but a testament to one's own incompetence.

>> No.3653478

>>3652995
I'd say the exact opposite. The only part of the review I did agree with is the part about communism saving the West from fascism,

>> No.3653481

>Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
>I ordered this book for my son to read for his high school honors English class. After beginning to read, he promptly closed the book because of its graphic nature. It may contain some compelling scenes, but be forewarned that it's also graphic. We discarded the book.

>> No.3653483
File: 84 KB, 299x288, 1351626098360.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3653481
>book
>graphic

>> No.3653485

>>3653475
ktfjgkrehgkehgk
did you get the way this was written
no?
incompetent fuck

>> No.3653489

>>3653483
I mean, yeah the first chapter is pretty hard to read, but it's not supposed to be a fucking uplifting book. You don't discard one of the best novels of the 20th century just because it isn't the most cheerful book in the world.

>> No.3653494

This review is from: Ivanhoe (Paperback)
This book has got to be the most boring filled book in the world. The descriptions of a persons clothing take many pages. You soon loose interest after the first chapter. DONT GET THIS BOOK!!!

>> No.3653501

>>3653481
>we discarded the book
HAHAHAH IM IMAGINING THIS RIGHT NOW

'Dad! Dad! This book contains violence!'

'Quick son! Throw it away! Throw it away now! Give it to me and I'll drive it to the lake! Quick!'

>> No.3653539
File: 154 KB, 880x1360, 71Z51ScXoTL._SL1360_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Wow, a book about a fantasy world in a civil war! Wow! An Order is formed to go and stop the war! WOW! THIS IS ORIGINAL! EXTREMELY WELL-WRITTEN AND NOT A TOLKIEN IMITATOR AT ALL.

>JAHOOKIE

>> No.3653577
File: 494 KB, 500x259, 1360551791485.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Blithedale Romance
>I wish I could give this no stars. Once again reminding me that just because it's old, doesn't mean it's good.

>> No.3653613

>>3653489
In the four years I spent earning an English degree I never heard a single person mention Ellison. As far as I know he's completely irrelevant outside high school reading lists.

>> No.3653621

>The Glass Bead Game

>A respected friend of mine recommended I read this book and I tried so hard to like it, but in the end (and the beginning and middle) I just didn't. I agree with several other reviews who admit the first 50-100 pages are difficult to get past. My problem with the rest is NOTHING HAPPENS! At least nothing important or relevant. After turning each page I kept asking myself, "What's the point? What's the plot?" For me-and probably a lot of others out there-there isn't enough dialogue or action to keep me interested. And in the beginning it was much too confusing and complicated (vague?) to consume my interest.

>> No.3653632

>The man in the high castle

>It's about jewlery. Don't even waste your time reading it.
This is easily the worst thing i have read from Philip K Dick. His other works were amazing and this one had so much potential but this one lacked all of the things that made his other works superb. No plot, no real conflict literally nothing happens for the entire book. Up until this book PKD was my favorite science fiction writer but this one came as a slap to the face. The more you read the more you hope something will happen but it never does and you are left with the horrible realization that you have wasted a load of time with only a giant middle finger as a reward. Normally a book like this would take me a few hours reading, but i could barely read three or four pages before my attention was lost. If PKD were still alive I would write him asking for my money back.

BUTBUT WERE WERE ALL THE EXPLOSIONS

>> No.3653649

There is no doubt that "Crime and Punishment" would have been one of the greatest novels of the century had not Dostoevsky leaned towards the more acceptable sense of morality related to the weak tenets of Chrisitanity. In doing so, he made Rasknolikov a caricature of himself, lethargic and yet redeemable by accepting Christ's pathetic suffering. It was more appropriate to adapt Nietzsche's figure of "the noble superman" but Dostoevsky, at the time of his writing, was a destroyed soul, drinking and plagued by debts, a gambling and morphine addiction and on top of that, he was a converted Christian, which is to say he resembled a "spineless worm".

There is a powerful beginning in which the bold character Rasknolikov conceptualizes the murder of an old aged hag who serves no purpose to society but beyond that, Dostoevsky tortures us with the conscience of an obstinate man who is shattered by an insignificant crime. In all effect, Dostoevsky became an apologist not only for bourgeois values and the Czar with his corrupt regime, but for Orthodox Christianity, which not only supported the exploitation of the Russian population but welcomed it. The end of the novel, which portrays a once proud, noble, and intellectually superior young man weeping before a prostitute and the image of the bible, brings about the demise of Dostoevsky's credibility.

>> No.3653650

>>3653447
Seemed they were more intent on attacking the author than anything.

>> No.3653726
File: 21 KB, 300x300, tractatus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Wittgenstein must be the most over rated philosopher who has ever lived. Because of the work (and marketing) of a few devoted students, the rest of us have been led to believe that he is one of the great ones. The truth is nothing of the sort. He couldn't write clearly. The result is much undeserved attention has been given to some very ambiguous epigrammatic statements of his. Much of his work is unreadable and of no use or interest to anyone but a few hard core positivist philosophy professors. If you really want to read some good philosophy, do not be unjustifiably taken in by the weird mystique of the Wittgenstein name. It is all P.R. work by some ivy league philosophers who do not even care anymore if philsophy has anything useful to say to people who live in the real world. As long as they can continue to collect their salaries and analyze their little language puzzles in the privacy of their faculty offices, they are happy-and irrelevant to the lives of anyone who actually works outside of a university. Save yourself the bother of trying to decipher this guy; It isn't worth your trouble.

>> No.3653771
File: 15 KB, 300x300, wtp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I understand very well the criticism hurled at "The Will to Power" - oh, oh it's unreadable, distasteful, incomprehensible, lunatical! Save me from its formless monstrousness! Thus cry the critics. I have some advice for these critics: STAY AWAY. You are not meant to understand. Nietzsche didn't write for your satisfaction or idle entertainment. And then we have another set of critics, the self-designated truth-trumpeters, who go about insecurely yelling into people's ears: "I have the truth! I am the truest Nietzchean ever! Let us initiate a new age of Nietzscheanism! Fie on the insensible herd." Is this not an irony, an inflated unconsciousness of tragicomical magnitude? I have never met a Nietzschean, and I never will. BEWARE OF THE SELF-SATISFIED. "The Will to Power" cannot be reduced to nothing but... Be psychologists unto yourselves!

I find the funniest reviews come from overly enthusiastic uneducated

>> No.3653924

I was lead to believe that this item was a scrip to one flew over the cuckoos nest, when it arrived it was the book of the film. I was hugely disappointed that I'd spent that much money on something I wasn't going to use, I then had to re-order a script for this play in order to complete my drama A Level piece. I was not happy with the service I received and it did put me off using amazon for a while as I was so annoyed that this book was being lead to people as a script and that I had wasted money on buying it.

>> No.3653965

>>3653726
>Find one of your favorite books on Amazon
>Tractatus
However profound and whatever its contribution was to philosophy, surely no-one can hold the Tractatus as a favourite? It's all substance.

>> No.3653992

>>3653965

I was looking for works that I thought might have hilarious reviews by people who clearly didn't "get it."

>> No.3654007

>Catch-22
>If you like unbelievable war stories, long drawn out repetative character back stories, shallow dialog, and no real point, then this book is for you!

Fuckfuckfuckfuckfcukfcufkhcxhjafk.

>> No.3654009

>>3653539
I laughed way too hard at those two references then I probably should have.

>> No.3654015

>>3653924

This doesn't bother me that much. Guy wanted a script and amazon sent him a book. Still he should have complained to customer service in or reviewed amazon itself (if possible) instead of giving a one star to something he never read.

>> No.3654117

>>3654015
Chances are though that the guy just assumed it was a scripts and Amazon never "lead him to believe" it.

>> No.3654139

>>3654015
The review was on the book. Nothing in the description mentioned anything about it being a script.

>> No.3654141
File: 22 KB, 327x500, sirensoftitan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Vonnegut has a very vivid imagination. This work is way to sience fiction! It is so far out there,that it is almost impossiabel to read.

---

>This book was such complete crap it doesn't even deserve a rating. However if it needs one, I rate it less than zero. It was the supidest thing I have ever read. What was the point of the book??????? If it was supposed to be some thought provoking study of mankind, then I guess I am am just simple minded because I thought it was stupid. I kept reading it because I thought at some point it would have a point. I was wrong. Do yourself a favor and don't spend your hard earned money on it, you would be better off to use the money to buy a lottery ticket,you may actually get lucky and get something out of that, but even if you don't you would still have more fun reading the back of the lottery ticket. I had to rate this a 1 star, otherwise it wouldn't let me submit my review. It does not deserve a 1.

>> No.3654142

>>3652719
I want to hug that guy

>> No.3654147
File: 137 KB, 200x315, 200px-Lessthan01st1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3654141
>However if it needs one, I rate it less than zero.

>> No.3654153
File: 8 KB, 200x285, siddhartha.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am wondering why Hermann Hesse gave the name of "Siddhartha" to this novel. As people over the age of 23 know, Siddhartha was the given name of the Buddha.

So, naturally, young people would grab the book, and read through it, and say to each other, "Wow! Listen to this!" --- while they were only reading the completely stupid thoughts of Hesse himself.

I am afraid that this goes for "Steppenwolf" and "Magister Ludi" as well --- it's all Hermann Hesse's jejune philosophy, and none of it works, unless you're toking at the same time. "Wow! Listen to this, dude!"

It is entirely amazing to me that fifty years on, I would realize that the philosophy of J.R.R. Tolkien was absolutely rock-solid, while the philosophy of Hesse was completely incoherent.

After all, Hesse was a "serious novelist," while Tolkien only wrote "fantasy."

Nevertheless, Tolkien was, in most questions, right. See The Philosophy of Tolkien: The Worldview Behind The Lord of the Rings for the details!

>> No.3654177
File: 37 KB, 490x301, 1319741054338.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3654153
>As people over the age of 23 know

>> No.3654183
File: 13 KB, 300x200, Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3654153

>worldview
>right

>> No.3654184

>>3654153
>It is entirely amazing to me that fifty years on, I would realize that the philosophy of J.R.R. Tolkien was absolutely rock-solid, while the philosophy of Hesse was completely incoherent.
He's absolutely right.

Tolkien knew his theology and was a professor of ancient stuff at Oxford. Whatever his other faults as a writer, his philosophy and worldview was faultless.

Hesse is for college kids who feel a 'deep connection' to Holden Caulfield. 'Completely incoherent' is a very good apt label.

>> No.3654188

>>3654153
10/10

>> No.3654197

>>3654184
I'm angry.

>> No.3654213

>>3654153
I pretty much agree with it.

>> No.3654217

>>3654184
>Talking about Hesse's most overrated book
>Concludes Hesse is for college kids who feel a 'deep connection' to Holden Caulfield.

you're missing out

>> No.3654233
File: 5 KB, 220x230, 1349724450297.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>A Game of Thrones - G.R.R.Martin

>The author deserves the attention he is getting and I have no quibble that he is talented at writing. But. I am so tired of this kind of fantasy. Every damn book I pick up now is FILLED with rape, incest, gruesome killing described in loving detail, more rape and a little more rape after that. Can we get an ACTUAL representation of a strong female character that doesn't exist only to serve men in some way? Why don't we rape the men characters for a while? Mix it up a little, but no. Let's not just rape all the female characters let's include children! yay!
I tried to trudge through the first book three seperate times but got thrown off by the introduction of like thirty different characters within the first few chapters. You introduce a likable family then spend the next four books brutally killing them off and doing all kinds of horrible things to them? It's like fantasy writing is now 'let's see how much we can get away with before people hurl'.
And for the hordes of angry neckbeards just raring to have a go at me for DARING to dislike their grimdark crap; don't bother, if your defending this rape-fest book I don't think we're going to get along so cry me a river. I'm over this sort of writing being so popular. You can write a decent and dark book without THAT much rape and killing and really twisted, graphic descriptions.

First I raged then I lol'd...
>"Why don't we rape the men characters for a while? Mix it up a little, but no. Let's not just rape all the female characters let's include children! yay!"
>lol

>> No.3654245

>>3652789
That annoyed me.

>> No.3654256

>>3653475
>That's a lack of reading comprehension, not an opinion
No, it's not. It's okay to get bugged by how a book is written. It's an opinion on the style.

>> No.3654264

>>3652924
I am with you. God, I refuse to believe such peopel exist.

>> No.3654270

>>3654217
>Talking about Hesse's most overrated book
Which one would that be? (Me, I was talking about 'Steppenwolf'. I have no idea which one you consider the most overrated and why you think there's a consensus on something as arbitrary as that.)

>> No.3654273

>>3654233
That review is entertaining to read, so I admire the author.

>> No.3654274

>>3654197
>I'm angry.
You should be. Being unable to separate philosophy from writing style from subculture fashion must be a very shitty way to live.

>> No.3654275

>>3654233
you can accuse gurm of pretty much everything but he certainly didn't include rape for everyone and not for children, what the fuck
the only two characters who get raped are Lolly and kyra, i.e. two completely unimportant characters that don't matter at all
fuck these people

>> No.3654277

>>3654233
If that girl is getting shocked at his descriptions being so graphic he must have been writing pretty well. A bad writer would only make her indifferent.

>> No.3654293

>>3652740
>not at all what I expected from John Irving. Not only is the story weak, it is truly insipid and carries on and on with vulgar and unrelated information
but that's what irving is
see also weird sex
2/3rds

>> No.3654360

>>3652729
>offensive to people between the ages of 22 and 93
What if you're 19-21 or 94, reviewer? What now?

>> No.3654390

This is honestly one of the worst books I have ever read. I was saddened to see how far Vonnegut's mind had apparently deteriorated by the time I read this novel. It's a bunch of disjointed babbling about the most boring things imaginable; if I hadn't read the back of the book I wouldn't even be sure if it was intended to be humor. Practically nothing in it is the least bit funny or entertaining. It looks like it was written by a heavily drugged 10-year-old as a school assignment to explain Earth to an even younger and more ignorant child. Throughout there are infantile explanations of the most basic terms as if Vonnegut intended his book to survive for centuries until it was a historical relic, used by future societies to understand ours. One of the most stunningly idiotic things in the book (or any book I have read) is his technique of babbling about himself in the first person in the middle of telling the story, as if the story wasn't boring enough in itself; it has perhaps two plot events total. He even makes claims about his penis size. It is beyond me how any intelligent person above the age of 12 could find this interesting.

I loved Player Piano, Slaughterhouse Five and Cat's Cradle, which were nothing like this book, and can only assume from the stark contrast that Vonnegut suffered from senility at a much younger age than usual.

Can you guess which book?

>> No.3654396

>>3654293

I think that review was written by a very sheltered and religious person who enjoyed Simon Birch and thought that Owen Meany would the same story.

Irving rejected that screenplay for a reason. They turned his work into a hallmark card.

>> No.3654398
File: 163 KB, 1167x1500, 71rZL-ogKRL._SL1500_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> Imagine my shock and horror, when, with bated breath and supple bottom I turned the pages of the long awaited, 2009-2014 Outlook for Wood Toilet Seats in Greater China...only to find that this self proclaimed "Guide of potential industry earnings (P.I.E.) or total revenues" overlooked a projection for Hong Kong. If this is indeed your obsession (as it is mine), I instead suggest "2008-2012 Overview of Wood and Other Hard Material Toilet Seats in Southern China, Canton and Hong Kong", the timeless masterpiece by Wen Chow Zhou. Alas, we will have to wait for another to update the overview (Zhou's concludes with November 26, 2012) for Master Zhou's life was shortened by a venereal disease he contracted by sitting on a...oh, nevermind.

>> No.3654407

>>3654398
is...is that your favorite book?
I want to know more about you

>> No.3654410
File: 101 KB, 555x403, blue_monday.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3654390

Probably Breakfast of Champions.

>> No.3654420

>>3652924
Holy shit, did someone just accuse Dostoevsky of being void of character analysis? Forget good literature and smart writing, that's a little more subjective, but how??

>> No.3654431

>>3653447
>I don't like him as a person
>That makes all of his work bad

I mad

>> No.3654446

> American Psycho

> I must admit - I bought this book because, like many others, I wanted to see if the descriptions of the main character's actions were really as stomach-turning as I had been hearing. They were. I only got about halfway through the second (or third) chapter before I couldn't take it anymore. I never even got to any violence. The chapter I gave up on was about him shaving. SHAVING!! No glimpse into his thoughts of any kind while shaving, just shaving. The most repulsive part was the yuppie toiletry catalog that it turned out to be. It made me wonder if he didn't kill his victims with the pungence of scented soaps, creams and mousses emanating from his face. This review is 1-star because I couldn't choose negative numbers.

>> No.3654449
File: 396 KB, 840x635, 1365628511092.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This review is from: Thus Spoke Zarathustra (Kindle Edition)
It was because of this book and Mein Kampf, the Nazis came into power, the nazi superman, ubermensch. Adolf Hitler, influenced by this book, created his idea for the Aryan superman. It is a known fact this book was widely distributed to Nazi soldiers, especially officers. His teachings were also taught in the Hitlerjugend institutions. "Triumph of the Will", "Will to Power", all Neitschze, all nazism. This book is all nazi propaganda. Another book recommendation to read in combination with studies of Neitschze philosophy: "NIETZSCHE, PROPHET OF NAZISM : THE CULT OF THE SUPERMAN; Unveiling the Nazi Secret Doctrine", by Abir Taha

>> No.3654459

>>3654446
No one star novel has made me want to read a novel more

>> No.3654460

>>3654459
*review not novel for the first one lel

>> No.3654464
File: 24 KB, 300x300, malory.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>this book was a waste of time
do not read this its too long and is boring. Nothing goes on in it and the charecters are stupid. this book is not worth your time. If I was you I would buy GTA Vice City .

>> No.3654467

>>3652729
i just...don't understand how you cannot like Ray Bradbury...

>> No.3654470

The Sound and the Fury
1/2
Read the other reviews on why this book was "good" before reading this review; I've written this review to disagree with them.
This story confuses you from the start. Faulkner never tells anything about his characters, but instead just names them as they enter the action. This leads to one entering the novel with absolutely no idea of what is going on. This feeling of confusion is only increased by the use of the stream-of-consciousness technique, which is a rather useless technique. Stories can be told much more simply and with much more attention to the important points of a novel with conventional technique. Only by careful analysis of the story does one have any idea of what is going on. In addition, no summation of what happens in the 18 year interval between the two time periods of the 4 points of view is given, and so the reader must painstakingly piece together the story bit by bit, reading the clues in the story. All this confusion and lack of information make this book not a pleasure to read, but work

>> No.3654471

>>3652781

>was seems to have been

all of my wut

>> No.3654472

>>3654470
2/2
In addition, there are multiple stretches in this book where Faulkner left out all punctuation, making these stretches nearly impossible to comprehend. Finally, and most importantly, this story has no point. I'll say it again: THIS STORY HAS NO POINT! Many say that this story is about the symbolic moral decay of the south and the Compton family. Symbolism is one of the worst literary techniques of all time. In most cases, the so-called literary experts have made up the symbolism in a story, and end up changing a story's emphasis from something meant to entertain to a long editorial it was never meant to be. Faulkner seems to have taken in this literary junk hook, line, and sinker. Faulkner took the rather mundane and misguided cry of moral decay and wrote an entire novel on the subject. Morals don't decaying! They just change as technology changes, and I will argue vehemently with anyone who says differently. In the end, without the pointless "symbolism", this story says absolutely nothing. I feel I wasted my time reading it. Faulkner's "great work", I feel, is just so much confusing literary junk.

>> No.3654507

1/2
>Well first let me adumbrate my preference of literature; I abhor almost all contemporary authors, for a few reasons. one, usually the characterization of modern prose is as deep as a ford in a rill, second when they attempt to reach the masterful level they fail abysmally with a few exceptions namely salmon Rushdie and Martin Amis indeed all the modern authors who should be imbibed and lauded are of European residence. I am not here to give a tirade against Cormac McCarthy the author but we must not be taken in by the credulous nescient desire to be in the throes of the next Faulkner. In truthfulness as a non-elitist intellectual (forgive my preening) I am congruous in my deprecatory opinions about Blood Meridian, as a few readers here the only reason I picked it up was that it came highly recommended from Harold Bloom. In fact, Harold Bloom went so far as to say Mccarthy is the greatest American writer alive, and while he is simplistic compared to pynchon he is indeed a great author. However I think Bloom wasn't at his most objective when criticizing this book. For one as usual with literature the plot is thin and amounts to nothing as an author myself I cant be easily captivated by pseudo avant garde sentences scabbard in contemporized fiction, this is nothing more than pretentious dross. Don't feel as if you are somehow of inferior faculty because you fail to be captivated by this book (I enjoyed Finnegan's wake so before you elitist converge, heed the haggard). The method he uses to include characters appears as if it came from a discarded development sheet, and no he is not groundbreaking because he fails to use a single quotation mark, and run on sentences. If you college students wish to debunk your English professors critical pen, give him this, most elitist ignore the fact that this book is one big run on sentence.

>> No.3654509

>>3654507
2/2
>There is no true plot the kid and the judge are the only characters worth knowing and Mcarthy has a gift for describing acts of gory devilry with amazing detail it fails to generate into the story, its as if there are blocks amidst stones and the stones unfortunately are more prevalent and represent the novel. Aesthetic blood meridian is and if you enjoy works et al then by all means you might like this, but as far as literary westerns go my, this is a scourge to be avoided by all readers of excellence (read Vladimir Nabokov for real belletristic fiction)

>> No.3654546
File: 21 KB, 300x300, haroun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was recomended to read Haround and the sea of stories by a friend. I am an avid fantasy reader and hate bad books. I know its bad to say that a book is bad without giving a reason so here is mine:

The Plot: to save a sea f stories and thats what we have. we have an author who thinks his story is the "One story to rule them all". Or at least thats what I think he meant =P

The characters: All of the characters are stereotypical and 2D. We have the Father, Rashid, who lost his powers but not his wisdom. (want a character like this, see "Another Fine Myth"), We have a warrior love interest that has the cheeziest line: "you may be a good boy, but I am a very bad girl indeed." Kind of made me think of Xena, except without the whole princess. We had rhyming Luv fish that literally made me tear a page out of the book for stupidity. We have a bird that say's bt but but alot. and a bussdriver that does too. We have an unintresting Genie without any real character traits, And we have a heroe who doesn't beleive. The bad guy of the story, is actually intresting. He is a religious, Scientific, Silence loving, stereotypical office worker?? if this book is to be bought for anything it should be for him. to bad he only has an apearance on all of 8 pages..

>> No.3654586

Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges

>This book is filled with short stories of bad boring science fiction. References, complete with page numbers, to non existent books only add to the tedium

>> No.3654604
File: 37 KB, 661x647, Mr Ed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"And Jesus asked him, 'What is your name?' He replied, 'My name is Legion, for we are many.'"-- Mark 5:9 After pleading with Jesus, He cast the Legion into the bodies of 2000 swine that went mad and drowned themselves in the sea.

This book is pure genius! Coulter's best book. Compare the Biblical swine to the French Revolution and it all becomes clear. Progressivism bears the fruit of its efforts--destruction, mayhem and anarchy.

Before writing this review, I took time to read other reviews from those who gave this book 1 star. One review had nothing to do with the book--they were complaining about Kindle prices. Another lengthy review misrepresented her argument and provided inaccurate information as a rebuttal. But, most importantly, the vast majority of the negative reviews were perfect examples of the gratuitous "mob think" and personal attacks that her book addresses.

It is comical how quick progressives are to jump up and shout, "Yeah! This book is talking about me!"

God bless you Ann Coulter. You are a brave woman and a cogent voice of our time.

>> No.3655014

>>3653771

>lunatical

my sides