[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 109 KB, 1000x1378, murakami, haruki.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3649827 No.3649827 [Reply] [Original]

What are your thoughts on Murakami?

So far I've read Kafka on the Shore, Norwegian Wood, Wind-Up Bird, and After Dark, with 1Q84 on the to-read list.

From what I've read of him, he is god-tier incredible.

>> No.3649848

I've only read After Dark but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Albeit lit tends to agree that the earlier his work the better.

>> No.3649849

I wouldn't say he's god-tier, but he's an author I really enjoy. I've read all his works, and I'd say Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is my favorite. Go ahead with 1Q84; a lot of people (especially on /lit/) don't like it, but I thought it was good. A bit long-winded, but worth a read.

>> No.3649857

painfully mediocre.

>> No.3649869
File: 17 KB, 250x211, murakami.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I thought Shoplifting from American Apparel was pretty good

>> No.3649873

I'm reading Norwegian wood and 150 p in it's nothing really special I think. It doesn't really make me want to take it and get into the story.

>> No.3649950

Kafka on the Shore and his short stories will get him anthologized. There's a wave of English language Murakami criticism inbound in about 5~ years.

>> No.3649953

>>3649827
I didn't like After Dark. I actually thought it was shit. But I haven't read anything else.

captcha from ebingh

>> No.3649958

>>3649827
I wouldn't say god-tier. I reserve that for the likes of Dostoevsky and Melville. But I do love him from what I've read thus far. I've only read Norwegian Wood, and Hard Boiled Wonderland at the End of the World. Both of which I enjoyed immensely. I already bought the Wind Up Bird Chronicle and plan on reading that soon. I also am interested in reading After Dark and Kafka on the Shore eventually.

>> No.3649961

>>3649958
Unpopular opinion time... Hawthorne was a better writer with a keener eye for what he saw around him than Melville.

>> No.3649966

I'm looking forward to getting into Kafka on the Shore. I was told it's a good entry-level read for getting into him.

>> No.3650077

>>3649961
Melville and Hawthorne were bros IRL for a while. It was Hawthorne who first praised Moby Dick as unprecedented genius. Hawthornes said of Melville:

"Melville, as he always does, began to reason of Providence and futurity, and of everything that lies beyond human ken, and informed me that he 'pretty much made up his mind to be annihilated'; but still he does not seem to rest in that anticipation; and, I think, will never rest until he gets hold of a definite belief. It is strange how he persists—and has persisted ever since I knew him, and probably long before—in wandering to-and-fro over these deserts, as dismal and monotonous as the sand hills amid which we were sitting. He can neither believe, nor be comfortable in his unbelief; and he is too honest and courageous not to try to do one or the other. If he were a religious man, he would be one of the most truly religious and reverential; he has a very high and noble nature, and better worth immortality than most of us."

But Hawthorne and Melville would both be god-tier authors if I were to classify them