[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 11 KB, 105x155, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3644179 No.3644179 [Reply] [Original]

Guys,

What other books like this can I read? Also, 'Oryx and Crake'. That kind of thing. SF but that's more an extension of now rather than completely different universes, etc.

>> No.3644280

I'd consider this a fantasy, really. The science in it, especially as it relates to energy, economics and agriculture is more like paranoid rambling than any actual projection. It's a fun book to read though, just way way off on a lot of it's assumptions. Sort of like if Phil Dick were writing Ayn Rand.

That said, try some Tom Disch, or some George Alec Effinger, and especially anything you can find by either Tim Powers or Raphael Carter, who really know how to do this stuff right. K.W. Jeter is also pretty good, and you might like Diamond Age and Snow Crash, since they have similar unrealistic economics and energy science but colorful stories anyway.

>> No.3644305

>>3644179
Those are both ecological apocalypse books, so I guess I'd point you to more of that rather rare type. The Drowned World seems to fit the bill. Here's a list of eco-apocalypse books for you to look over: http://andrewdobson.com/?page_id=32..

>> No.3644312

>>3644280
>> Raphael Carter
Not OP, but interesting! Looked up the fortunate fall, and I think I'll look it up.

As an aside, I only heard of Effinger last week; do you have any particular recommendations? I thought about picking up When Gravity Fails.

>> No.3644327

>>3644312
Check out "The Wolves of Memory", too. and Carter's book is amazingly well done, It's cordwainer smith meets cyberpunk with a Capricorn Games flavor. I actually bought the sequel, which I'm told now has been withdrawn from publication for some reasn, maybe copyright infringement?

>> No.3644330

Ah, I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks very, very much. And yeah, I agree on the science in the Windup Girl (although I'm not a big science person). Seemed a little chucked together but I just found the story pretty engrossing and it reminded me that I love this kind of writing. Thanks very much again to you both for the recommendations and link. I'll check all of that out.

>> No.3644334
File: 85 KB, 231x249, TEOMYbig.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3644342

>>3644327
Cheers, I'll do that. And there's a sequel? It seems all mention of it has been purged? (well, I didn't look that hard...)

>> No.3644363

>>3644342
I have it as a computer file and I'll post a link if I remember. I read it had been withdrawn for some reason. It's not as good as the first one, but still good.

>> No.3644517

>>3644179
The Drowned Cities by the same author. An interesting story about child soldiers.

>> No.3644529

>>3644179
>The Windup Girl
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check this out.