[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 80 KB, 600x400, 5f33d2f29d77c6d090d9c397706105e2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3643013 No.3643013 [Reply] [Original]

I'm still reading and loving the Black Company series by Glen Cook. I read the first three and loved the hell out of them. Just got done reading the Silver Spike and started on Shadow Games. Note: the Silver Spike should be read before Shadow Games, they take place at the same time, but in the Omnibus they publish Silver Spike later.

I remember there was another person on who was reading this as well and was at the same place I was. Any other Black Company fans? I love Croaker, One Eye and Goblin.

>> No.3644949

Anyone?

>> No.3647089

I never really got started. First few chapters seemed superficial to me... I don't know. Gotta go back sometime and try again.

>> No.3647114

just bought it but havent opened it yet.

im dubious someone could claim its better than erikson but ill give it a shot when i finish what im already reading and see how it compares.

>> No.3647116

Silver Spike should be read after Shadow Games, because it was written and published later. Always follow publication chronologies when dealing with series. Works published later are always informed by prior works, not the other way around.

Keep reading, by the way. It gets pretty damn good. The later books are better than the initial trilogy, in my opinion (with the exception of The Silver Spike, which was just terribly dull).

I am really looking forward to the next one, Port of Shadows. It's set between The Black Company and Shadows Linger. He's released a few chapters as short stories thus far, and based on those it seems we're in for quite a bit of card games and Goblin-One-Eye business.

Anyway, we all know the best character is the woman Senjak.

>> No.3647124

>>3647114
I've read both this and Malazan. They can't really be compared. Although both feature a lot of military fantasy, they tell really different stories with entirely different tones. Malazan is more grandiose, a saga of war between gods. The Black Company is a bunch of soldiers trying to do their job.

Cook and Erikson are fans of each other's works, though, and frequently praise one another. You're allowed to like both!