[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 42 KB, 620x240, 887624yaphet-kotto.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3606566 No.3606566 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/
That's my first time on this board.
I don't read a lot (hardly ever, really), but I like to write small time stories, for the heck of doing something.
I have this story that I'm really into, but I've got a problem.

What do you think about sexual and racial diversity ?
What I mean is : would you add in a black guy or a girl that has no purpose whatsoever to the story, just because "well, we gotta have one..."
Because I find that while the lack of it can surprise people, having just one, that serves nothing, is probably worse.
Anyway, I hope I made myself clear, sorry english isn't my first language.

>> No.3606587

If your story relies on racial gimmicks, thens its probably shit.

Actually no, you'd be an excellent Disney Channel writer.

>> No.3606589
File: 108 KB, 600x450, kids.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3606599

Depends. Society wide epic? Better have a representative selection. Man v woman or family drama you can probly do without diversity and raise no eyebrows.

>> No.3606672

>>3606599
that's a good point.
I didn't think I would ever make such a big deal out this... But thanks for the advice.

>> No.3606704

>I don't read a lot (hardly ever, really), but I like to write small time stories

I'd be curious to read your stories because I've always associated writing ability at least somewhat with reading ability. I won't make fun of you if it sucks because in any case its better than my total sum of 0 creative output

>> No.3607240

Write whatever you want to write. Honestly, trying to shape up YOUR creation up to the standards of others is complete and utter bullshit. And frankly, it is stunting your own creative potential. Let the ideas flow from your own mind and everything will fall in place. You don't need to put in the token black or what have you to make your story more accessible. If it is good fiction, nothing else matters.