[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 17 KB, 200x293, 200px-Roadside-picnic-macmillan-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3601279 No.3601279 [Reply] [Original]

Just finished reading this, what's /lit/s opinion on it.

>> No.3601287
File: 96 KB, 480x480, 1340939144437.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Roadside Picnic was pretty neat.

>> No.3601348

the game is better

>> No.3601367

>>3601348
Are you referring to STALKER?

>> No.3601740

I felt like the Strugatsky Bros. were trying really hard to tell me that All Life Is Shit And The Universe Too, But Somehow We Keep Muddling Through For The Promise Of Unattainable Happiness. Or something.

Maybe I missed the point.

>> No.3601804

>>3601279
The story was okay, good even.
What makes this book fucking great is the time and place where it's written, in the middle of Soviet Russia under the full force of communistic opression.
It took them fucking 8 years to get this shit published.

The authors notes at the end of the book contain some of the best pages I've ever read. The speech about how he dreamed of gaining fame and tearing the bureaucratic rats throats out in public, and when eventually gaining said fame, realizing such a petty revenge is worthless because even the bosses of the bosses of the bosses of those guys won't be remembered by history, let alone the suckers themselves, was a real eye opener.

Best coming of age story written in a single page, while adressing totalitarian and nihilistic issues.

Goddammit, I want to quote that page so badly, but I don't have the book with me.

>> No.3601821

I enjoyed Roadside Picnic's perspective on aliens being so advanced that a world changing event for us was just an inconsequential little lunch-break on the way home for them. I rather enjoy it when stories hint at us being so small and insignificant in comparison to the much greater things out there in the cosmos. It's one of the main reasons that I'm enthralled by Lovecraft's stories.