[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 144 KB, 295x350, 1362731508957.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3599303 No.3599303 [Reply] [Original]

What motivates someone to write a book?

It's a strange thing to do. I don't think writers write in order to read their own stories, that would seem like jerking off to a picture of yourself.

>> No.3599308

> that would seem like jerking off to a picture of yourself.

But writing a book is hard

>> No.3599309

Prestige and/or money.

>> No.3599311

Sometimes the stories a guy writes and the characters he brings to life are the only company a guy has got.

>> No.3599314

All the good writers do it so they'll be remembered after they kill themselves.

>> No.3599316

I jerked off while watching myself in the mirror one time, but I caught my own eye as I came and felt real guilty afterwords.

Maybe I shouldn't write a book.

>> No.3599318

Sometimes you need to process something, emotionally or intellectually, having characters wrestle with problems or search for solutions to real dilemmas
Sometimes its just escapism, as writing can be just as easily an escape mechanism as reading a story.
Sometimes it's as a vehicle for a message,

>> No.3599326

Have you ever thought that maybe they just want to tell a nice story to people?

>> No.3599339

>>3599326
>Have you ever thought that maybe they just want to tell a nice story to people?

why?

>> No.3599342
File: 76 KB, 431x549, 13462638225.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3599303
>ey just want to tell a nice story to people?
>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> no it doessn pick realtd

>> No.3599349

>>3599339
Because they thought it was cool and wanted other people to hear it?

>> No.3599351

It's a great way to express what's on your mind through characters/fiction.

I think a lot of writers would have murdered people if not for their books.

>> No.3599381

I write because if I didn't write I wouldn't be me. That's about it.

>> No.3599385

Expression is my main motivation. Also, I usually feel isolated in my thoughts and would like to have them understood and writing and the arts in general have always done me more good than just talking about shit directly to people. It requires cleverness and creativity to get your perspective down on paper and I appreciate that.

>> No.3599394

I want someone out there to know that I feel the same way as they do. Or vice versa, because I'm lonely and it gives me comfort.

>> No.3599398

>telling people a story

so it's basically for prestige?

>> No.3599408
File: 105 KB, 960x540, Fun things are fun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like it. It's fun to me. I enjoy writing my stories. I enjoy reading my own stories and editing them until they're perfect. I enjoy sharing my stories with others. I enjoy reading other people's stories. I enjoy criticizing them/giving them advice on how to improve their writing. As an anime character once quoted, "Fun things are fun"!

>> No.3599505

>>3599303
>jerking off to a picture of yourself.

More like jerking off to a picture i drew... which I do. I really do write first to read my own stories, and second to convey a message or establish an intellectual connection with hypothetical readers

>> No.3599516
File: 1.41 MB, 160x120, kirby owning everyone gif.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3599408
This guy's got the right idea. As a writer myself, I began by thinking "If even one person laughs, or cries, or stops to think for a moment they wouldn't have otherwise, my job is done." I really like shaking things up for others, to make them get out of the monotony of life. So I began writing, partially because of this, partially because, as the post above mentioned, it was simply fun.

But then, after continuing for a while, I got fans, who demanded more and more. They praised the moments I had worked especially hard on, laughed where I wanted to, came up with interesting interpretations, and overall, fed me ego. I still do it for all the reasons I originally began, but it's extended into an addiction. I /have/ to write. I need that feedback, that attention that I've actually /earned/ for doing something productive.

>> No.3599520

>>3599516
if i spent thousands of hours writing and only one person thought something i would probably be pretty pissed off and give up on writing. never understood that line of reasoning. if only one person cares about your writing you probably really suck and are wasting societal resources to keep writing shit nobody likes

>> No.3599528
File: 31 KB, 468x305, scp fuel brussels.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3599520
Well, obviously, if you go in with the mentality "if only one person will love it" you'll put in a lot more soul, and that comes out in your writing. Paradoxically, it helps your writing improve.

With your attitude, you simply won't ever be/find the appeal in being a writer. To become successful, you have to go in not necessarily expecting it, or else, like you implied, you will give up really quickly.

I'm not too sure why you're so quick to attack, but I guess it explains why you think the way you do. If you're not willing to try to expand your mind to other people's viewpoints, of course they'll appear alien and illogical. Everyone's justified from their own viewpoint; try to discover what makes them tick. ((This will also help you write characters better.))

>> No.3599531

Most people write because they want to be seen as intellectual arty types and to get the attention that entails.

True believers write because they truly want to express themselves or right a societal wrong, this type is rare and certainly not on /lit/