[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 19 KB, 200x298, 200px-AdamSmith.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3593154 No.3593154 [Reply] [Original]

>Labour was the first price, the original purchase-money that was paid for all things. It was not by gold or by silver, but by labour, that all the wealth of the world was originally purchased; and its value, to those who possess it, and who want to exchange it for some new productions, is precisely equal to the quantity of labour which it can enable them to purchase or command.

Why have this man's ideas disappeared in our world?

>> No.3593164

because machines bro

>> No.3593957

>>3593164
But machines also created jobs.

>> No.3593960

Because labour theory of value got associated with Marx and no one wants to be an evil Marxist.

>> No.3593963

because labour theory of value is fundamentally irrelevant now

>> No.3594005

>>3593963
Explain.

>> No.3594038

>>3594005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticisms_of_the_labour_theory_of_value

>> No.3594083

>>3594038

Why do they act like it has to be Labour or Marginal utility? Couldn't value just arrise from both then that would solve half the criticisms on that page.

>> No.3594126

Baudrillard wrote a nice essay called The End of Production, where he shows value is completely arbitrary.

>> No.3594199

>>3594038
That the author of this post has abandoned the argument is revealing.

No doubt there are people who actually believe that if an idea is criticized on Wikipedia it is therefore "irrelevant," but these people do not matter and should be ignored.

Wealth Of Nations, etc., are still in print and read by the genuinely curious and otherwise properly educated. If the OP thinks these ideas have disappeared he should remove his head from his butthole.

>> No.3594240

>>3593960
This, but Marx's understanding of labor theory was better than Smith's and anyone before him.

>> No.3594247

Because he doesn't take into account economically exceptional goods or other anomalies in terms of value (art is a good example, why does barnett newman get paid ~5 million per hour to paint paintings when average joe painting a house gets $13 per hour?)

>> No.3594250

>>3594083
marginal utility is problematic too. I agree that things like food or clothes seems to fit within the model, but what about other goods like music, books, literature, etc? Reading a good book inspires me to go find more books to read, it doesn't make me sick of them.

>> No.3594269

Bump for interest

>> No.3594335
File: 34 KB, 252x233, 1363999405496.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The value of labor is still a necessity for production, even in the age of machine production since there are still people who need to create, improve and maintain those machines.

Machines are just labor multipliers, since a sewing machine will allow a tailor to produce more in the same amount of time, his labor plus the utility of the machine creates more product. This means that the demand for clothing will be met with less labor-time of individuals, so those who might have gone into clothing production can use their labor to meet others needs that are in demand.

Labor is a necessity in the production of value, but it is not a sufficient factor of value. The natural world has plenty of value for people, even though it is not a product of human production. Nor does the production of something give it any sort of inherent value. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak.

>> No.3594420

>>3594250

They are both slightly problematic, but I can't think of a different theory that would be better..

>> No.3595886

>>3594199
By disappeared I meant taken away from general politics. Of course liberalism is thriving in places like Hong Kong, Singapore etc, but it has endured a huge downfall and in most universities Adam Smith is being if not forgotten, being put in a place of 'historial curiosity'. I've bought the Wealth of Nations and I still can't understand why isn't this more widespread.

>> No.3596912

I'm amazed they don't teach The Wealth of Nations in high school and barely in college.