[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 92 KB, 480x736, enders-game.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3588469 No.3588469 [Reply] [Original]

I just got through reading Speaker for the Dead and thought it was a huge step down from Ender's Game. I didn't like most of the characters, I didn't like how religious it was, and I though the ending for Ender was quite shitty with him being forced to live with a frigid Portuguese bitch who already sired six kids on a planet with super AIDS.

Does the next book, Xenocide, get better or does it continue on this path?

>> No.3588482

Xenocide is a little better, but not much. It explores the sc-fi element a little deeper. Jane's character has an incredible story line, the planet of Plath –Have you met them yet? – starts to play a part... But it's all just set up for Children of the mind, which is the best book of the series.

Yeah, the next book is a little dull, but the one after is worth reaching.

>> No.3588493

>>3588482
>But it's all just set up for Children of the mind, which is the best book of the series.

Better than the first book? That has me interested.

>> No.3588514

>>3588469
I think Xenocide is better than Speaker for the Dead, although the annoying religious shit doesn't really go away.
Some of it takes place on an Asian-themed planet, which is rather interesting, and the new alien species, the Pequininos, is introduced. Also -- it's been a long time since I read it, but -- I think it's the one where the Bugger Queen finally gets to restart her race. But IMO, none of the books ever match up to Ender's Game.

If you haven't read Ender's Shadow yet, I highly recommend it. It takes place in the same time frame as Ender's Game, but everything is from Bean's perspective.