[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 64 KB, 800x533, for-whom-the-bell-tolls.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3587610 No.3587610 [Reply] [Original]

Hi its /g/ here,
We had a guy a few days ago requesting an open source suicide note (open source meaning something that can be freely reused, copied and modified without violating copyright). It was kind of a poetic notion... a suicide note that belonged to the people. "Ask not for whom the bell tolls" kind of thing.

ITT: Open Source Suicide Notes

>> No.3587634

Do you want us to write you suicide notes or find suicide notes that aren't copyrighted or what?

>> No.3587638

You can write them, if you wish. If you have a public domain suicide note you want to share, that is fine, just attribute it properly. To make yours open source, you must append a declaration to the note. A frequently used license is the Creative Commons license as found here.

http://creativecommons.org/choose/

>> No.3587639

Most of /lit/ is comprised of people who discuss twelve books for every book they actually read, and a thousand ideas for every story they write.
We could try, I guess.

>> No.3587651

I'll provide mine. Feel free to criticique or whatever, but I'd prefer hearing your own. My note uses the Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can modify it for use in your own work, but it requires attribution and using a same/similar license.

To those who have known me,
I have experienced in my small life both great beauty and formidable pain. And while I try to hold both in equal measure, whatever fates rule my life have seen fit to bestow me with an impassable obstacle that would hold me forever from the horizon. Its with both sadness and joy I end my journey here today. I am grateful to you who have helped me in this life. It is not your fault that I have taken these actions upon myself. I hope in time you may forgive me for any harm I may have done to you today. I will always love you.

This work, attributed to an anonymous 4chan user, is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.en_US))

>> No.3587659

So you want a fill the blanks suicide note?
I could do it.

>> No.3587669

>>3587659
Its a bit of a creative exercise. It is what you make of it. If one of us commits suicide and likes yours enough maybe they'll use it.

>> No.3587681

To all whom it may concern,

I am dead, taken by my own hand. There would be no point in telling you why. I'm gone, and whatever reasons that haunted me enough to leave you all behind are gone as well. You may want closure, but in the end it's irrelevant. What's dead is dead.

So please, for your own sake, let it rest. It will all be okay. Every day has enough worries, adding grief for the dead will do you no good. And even if you hold your memory and mourning of me until the bitter end, let it serve as a comfort to know that I'll be waiting for you on the other side.

Goodbye. Also, fuck you Jimmy I wasted years of my life trying to find Mew under that truck you lying piece of shit.

>> No.3587695
File: 540 KB, 400x300, slow-clap.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3587681
Excellent.

>> No.3587703

To Whom it May Concern,

Please do not think of my choice as cowardice or the rash decision of an overwhelmed youth. I am young, it is true. I am afraid, it is true. But I wish to return to the nothingness I was born from, and I hope there's peace on the other side beyond this turbulent word and my only regret is the hurt I'm causing you in leaving you. Forgive me, but I hear time heals all wounds. Time seems to want to reopen mine all the time however.

See you on the other side.

>> No.3587706

Good God. Are people so lacking in personality they can't even be bothered to put an original thought in their last words to the world?

>> No.3587707

To whom it may concern,

I have killed myself.

Regards,

>> No.3587708

"There is no proof that bleach is unsafe to drink."
-[Your name here]

>> No.3587727

>>3587706
It's probably a niche market, but you could probably get walgreens to stock the cards in select markets.

>> No.3587730
File: 8 KB, 290x174, download (6).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3587707
nee nuur

>> No.3587733

>>3587703
>Time seems to want to reopen mine all the time

>> No.3587738

Virginia Woolf. Substitute as appropriate

>> No.3587735

My Final Words

Goodbye everyone. It was a pleasure to meet you all. You have all touched my life in one way or another and I hold these memories dearly. It is with a happy smile that I say farewell. I've always found myself to be a spectator in life. Watching everything around me unfold, but never really participating. My development has lead me to what i consider my final stage of life. I'm ready to plunge toward whatever is next.

I hope my passing doesn't cause you any pain. I find it liberating and freeing. My spirit is happy

>> No.3587740
File: 144 KB, 500x454, tumblr_ly86rb1KTV1r54urwo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3587738
file

>> No.3587820

>>3587703
>>3587707
>>3587708
>>3587735
Not open source. Although 735 obviously wins.

>> No.3587830

>>3587610
Um, not really a big deal or anything, but. The quote is "never send to know for whom the bell tolls" . Not a big deal but a true lover of literature would've gotten it right. Just sayin.

>> No.3587842

go to /x/ op

>> No.3587863

>caring about copyright when you're going to be fucking dead

>> No.3587867

>>3587830

Don't be an asshole.

>> No.3587870
File: 33 KB, 475x650, SuicideNote.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3587996

Life: Not even once.

This work, attributed to an anonymous 4chan user, is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.en_US))

>> No.3588011

To those who have known me,
I have experienced in my small life both great beauty and formidable pain. And while I try to hold both in equal measure, whatever fates rule my life have seen fit to bestow me with an impassable obstacle that would hold me forever from the horizon. Its with both sadness and joy I end my journey here today. Before I go, I have but these few words to leave you with: In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

>> No.3588760

>>3588011
Excellent use of the remix license in >>3587651. Make sure you attribute though and include the license. Like the euphoric bit.

>> No.3588796

Because the last thing you want after your untimely self induced demise is someone suing you over a copyright.

>> No.3588976

Its more the idea that you, the writer, can use someone else's work freely. Its a different mode of thinking than copyright and intellectual property law may have trained you to think. You can freely borrow verse, or make an existing work better. Contrasted with something as deeply personal as a suicide note, the results may become interesting.