[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 643 KB, 3300x2698, 1361041000760.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3577812 No.3577812 [Reply] [Original]

When reading translated lit, is there much difference in quality of the translations depending on what language you get them in? If so, would it be justified for me to go out of my way to get, say, English translations instead of my native language? I usually pick up books in thrift stores for pennies, and English translations are rare to say the least, while my native ones are usually in abundance.

>> No.3577825

>>3577812
>polite sage because off-topic post

Who painted this, OP?

>> No.3577875

>>3577825

I think it's an artist called Vitali Komar or the like, not 100% on it tho.

>> No.3577913

>>3577875
It is, thanks.

>> No.3577942

I know what you mean OP, but I got away from the whole 'English hype' after a while. And I think especially when reading more complicated works, it is easier to read them in your native tongue then in English.
I also don't think that translations into English are superior to translations into your native tongue, but it might depend. My native tongue is German, which is pretty similar to English (both germanic languages etc.), and I am a big fan of russian literature and there are both high quality translations into German as well as English. I would say do some research and look for yourself, but generally if it is translated anways, go for a translation into your native tongue.

>> No.3578511

It all depends on the translators.

Portuguese translators always commit few amateur mistakes on their work, but depending on the credibility of your language's translators it can be better to 'read it in the source', or to appeal to the facility to find in english on the internet.