[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 136 KB, 674x249, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3542301 No.3542301 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/,
/g/ here. So how true is this comic stripe?

>> No.3542309

It's true that Atlas Shrugged is awful.

>> No.3542322

>Rand: "I'm against forced cultural relativism. Not everyone is equal. Force and mind are opposites; morality ends where a gun begins"
Anon: That's evil. Everyone should be equal; by government force if necessary.

>Rand: "I don't believe you should delegate your moral choices to somebody else, but should use your own reason."
Anon: That's dumb. Emotion is the best way to approach issues, based mostly on Religion and what the government says.

>Rand: "I deal with others as my nature and theirs demands: by means of reason. I seek or desire nothing from them except such relations as they care to enter of their own voluntary choice."
Anon: That's selfish. We need enforced systems, and to enforce your will on people in other ways.

>Rand: "Selfish? It is only with their mind that I can deal and only for my own self-interest, when they see that my interest coincides with theirs. When they don’t, I enter no relationship."
Anon: Selfishness is retarded. people don't know what's best for them, so you have to force them.

>Rand: "Rights are not a matter of numbers - and there can be no such thing, in law or in morality, as actions forbidden to an individual, but permitted to a mob."
Anon: But, but...You're just selfish.

>> No.3542328
File: 96 KB, 674x789, 1360804685754.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As true as this 'stripe'.

>> No.3542337

>>3542322

>Ad Hominem: The Post

>> No.3542353

>>3542322
>>3542328

Nothing better than asspained Objectivists (ie: Objectivists forced to interact with reality)

Although it is true that xkdc is shit.

>> No.3542367

>>3542322
so good to have a discussio with yourself,right?
and this is a literature board i've seen many anons say that while they share rand's worldview,they agree is a badly wirtten book.

>> No.3542372

it's quite the understatement. that you need to be told that you have terrible taste means you have no idea how terrible it is.

>> No.3542374

>>3542353
Not an objectivist and I don't even like Rand.

tonight, you presume too much

>> No.3542402

The following quotes come from Atlas Shrugged, about America:
>"to the glory of mankind, there was, for the first time in history, a country of money -- and I have no higher, more reverent tribute to pay to America, for this means: a country of reason, justice, freedom, production, achievement. For the first time, man's mind and money were set free, and there were no fortunes-by-conquest, but only fortunes-by-work, and instead of swordsmen and slaves, there appeared the real maker of wealth, the greatest worker, the highest type of human being--the self-made man -- the American industrialist."

> "was the only country in history where wealth was not acquired by looting, but by production, not by force, but by trade, the only country whose money was the symbol of man's right to his own mind, to his own work, to his life, to his happiness, to himself."

She seems to think Cornelius Vanderbilt and Andrew Carnegie founded America instead of slave owners.

>> No.3542462

>>3542402
Actually, it was slave owners, religious fundamentalists, and prison convicts.
But more to the point, what else could be said by an aristocrat who fled her own country?

>> No.3542508

>>3542462
I suppose that's the one point I'd make in Rand's favor: if anyone was going to have her extremist views, it makes the most sense coming from a Russian emigre.

>> No.3542518

Rand is beloved by pretentious teenagers and undergraduates, puffed up with a misguided sense of self-worth.

>> No.3543202

First 2/3: Meh to fine level.
Last 1/3: ABANDON SHIP!!!! LEAVE NOW WHILE YOU STILL HAVE YOUR SANITY!!

Seriously if your going to read it when it says part 3, don't go on.

>> No.3543232

at not time has xkcd ever contained truth, only smugness and cultural inclusion.

>> No.3543315

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

>> No.3543323

>>3543232

quirky_pie_chart_explaining_ur_wrong.png

>> No.3543333

100% truth.

Real individualists read Stirner.

>> No.3543334

>>3543315
ha.

>> No.3543486

There's a reason every Atlas Shrugged Thread just involves the philosophy, cause it has no literary value,

Anthem and Fountainhead are where you want to go if you want to read Rand and get some storytelling out of it.
Atlas Shrugged is just a vehicle for her philosophy at best and a diatribe about a "Theory Sue" world where everything is specially written so that her philosophy is the solution.

I don't mind reading viewpoints I disagree with. I'm just tired of when I say I don't like the book I get nothing but "That's cause you don't like the philosophy behind it!" Or "That's because you don't understand the philosophy behind it!"

That shit can >>/pol

They're going to have a great time trying to convince people they're not a cult when they can't argue their points without being dicks.

>> No.3543488

>>3543333
This

and real capitalist philosophy seekers read Adam Smith.

She didn't really revolutionize, she didn't really invent, she popularized. Which is fine, but not worth the following she enjoys.

>> No.3543513

>>3543486

im from /pol/ and i think rand is intellectual poison just like neet skeet, they both reason under the presumption that individuals are wholly segregated entities, and as a result their conclusions are full retard.

>>3543488

i personally think the most prescient part of wealth of nations is the conclusion of the first chapter, wherein he emphatically spells out how vulgar private interest can occur most ideally at the expense of over all interest. but of course its not the butchers interest that carries this danger, but the 'stock holders' interest, the lenders and financiers.

>> No.3543547

>>3542322
rand would be a bro as long as she sticked to description rather than prescription. she got many things right

but then she wouldn't be worshiped by masses of libertards

>> No.3543552

>>3542518
oh uh, guilt by association?

ain't you smart

>> No.3543556

>>3543315
this is why krugman is the hero america needs
if only he avoided the transhumanist bullshit...

>> No.3543620

>>3543552
You are on /lit/ where people adopt others taste in books to seem erudite.

>> No.3543654
File: 125 KB, 960x960, krugonomics.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3543556

>> No.3543671

>>3543654
o-okay?

>> No.3545161
File: 89 KB, 465x465, dealwithitAyn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3542322
right on
all you commies suck it