[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 178 KB, 400x600, 1462_400x600.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3464371 No.3464371 [Reply] [Original]

Do you guys like any graphic novels?

I'm a big fan of Alan Moore, and this is by far my favorite of his.

>> No.3464394

Am I on /co/?

I don't think I'm on /co/.

>> No.3464404

>>3464394
You are in /co/. Except moot changed /co/'s headline with "/lit/ - Literature". There are also several disinfo agents that are here to tell you otherwise. Do not believe their lies, you are definitely on /co/, no matter what they say.

I'm saging and please, do not respond to me. I'm speaking the truth. Listen. They will be here any minute. I'm sorry, I have no time to explain. Please believe me. You are in /co/, remember! Promise you'll remember! Promi

>> No.3464416

sandman
blankets
david boring
persepolis

>> No.3464427

>>3464404
Je promi

>> No.3464461

the invisibles

>> No.3464470

This? Seriously dated pseudo-Neitzschean drivel. I hate to say it, but I liked the movie better. At least it was updated to fit with current social paradigms.

>> No.3464481

>>3464470
Some novels are fantastic because of their pitch-perfect reflection of the times, serving as a thematic history lesson (Dorian Gray, Great Gatsby).

I'd say Watchmen falls into the same category. It's a great Cold War narrative.

>> No.3464491

>>3464416
I did not like Blankets one bit

>> No.3464495

>Starts off with Watchmen
Stay generic, /lit/
>graphic novels
Just call them comic books, you moron. Stop having pretensions about what you like, because it's utterly pitiful.
That being said, Batman: Year One is one of my favorites. And another favorite, called All Fall Down (it's on Amazon), deals with the five stages of grief.

>> No.3464517

I've only read Ghost World and From Hell and they were pretty great.

Dunno, Tintin is still better.

>> No.3464527

I've read a few of the more popular ones, I don't like how they seem stuck in the superhero genre even while exploring other themes.

I prefer mango.

Neither are even close to the level of literature.

>> No.3464543

>>3464371
- Comics are a great narrative art. Some are shit, some are amazing, like with novels.
- As far as being written works they are literature, but they are more than "literature" for utilizing image as word and more than illustration for using word as image. Graphic literature might be more appropriate.
- This isn't really a /lit/ topic
- Watchmen is good but extremely entry level.

>> No.3464553

>>3464543
Sorry if it's off-topic, I was just curious.
I know Watchmen is entry level, that's why I posted it. I assumed most people would have read it, and it would get a good thread going.

>> No.3464554

>>3464491
>Christfag detected

>> No.3464558

>>3464553
If you like Watchmen, you must read Top Ten!! And Promethea!!

>> No.3464561

>>3464554
Not that guy but Blankets is weak. Thompson's masterpiece is Habibi.

>>3464553
What exactly do you want to talk about? Recommended reading? What we've been reading?

>> No.3464563

I'm a big fan of Y. Preacher ain't half bad either.

>> No.3464569

>>3464563
>I'm a big fan of Y

That's because you're homosex.

>> No.3464572

>>3464569
Last man on Earth in a world full of women=homosex?

>> No.3464574

I liked From Hell better.

>> No.3464579

>>3464371
I loved Watchmen. It's a deconstruction of Comic Book archetypes with deep enough characters, story, and themes that somebody with no understanding of silver age comics can read it and still get a shitload out of it.

Unless you're that fag who just walks around with the comedian pin shirt and quotes Rorschach. Then you've gotten nothing out of it, and should kill yourself.

V for Vendetta was meh

>> No.3464580

>>3464561
Habibi kicks ass.

>> No.3464585

>>3464572
If he's doing /co/ logic he's probably saying you're homosex because Y: The Last Man is about gender, which makes it "liberal", which means it's "feminist", which means it's "the gay".

>> No.3464592
File: 37 KB, 335x419, fortthunderteratoid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3464553
>>3464543
Then post it to /co/, everything is this thread is /co/'s shitty "entry level" taste anyways. Entry level in quotations because /co/ has never transcended past the easily accessible and industry engulfed, I don't know what they consider beyond entry-level, probably Asteroids Polyp or Maus because so deep postmodernism, so radical setting.

And "graphic novels" is a commercial distinction made to market comic books to idiots who arbitrary decided the medium of graphic narrative is dumb and need to be tricked into thinking it's "literature" because they must think smarter people than them find books more tasteful. You aren't Barnes & Noble, call them what they are: comics.

>> No.3464611

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't understand why Maus is so heavily praised. It was interesting in it's brutal honesty about the Author's life and relationships, and discussion about the holocaust, but beyond the different human groups being different animals gimmicks, it had nothing that interesting to it. It had that biography within a biography feel, and tried to be a historical piece while also documenting the author coming to terms with his father, which, while being kind of an interesting concept, was by no means revolutionary. The tone of the modern segments were uneven, including that sort of odd surreal scene where the author talks about how everyone talks down to him, and how he feels people blame him for his mother's suicide, and draws himself as smaller, but writing surreal metaphor about tragedy in your life is easy, and by no means new. Beyond that, it felt out of place with the rest of the story, though I suppose it was key to certain aspects of the author's relationship with his father. It just felt like him venting to his readers and expecting pity to me.

Beyond that, it had nothing revolutionary artistically, though I'll admit it did have some powerful holocaust scenes, not all of them were properly emphasized in my opinion.

In my opinion, it just felt overrated. Then again, I was raised in an era where holocaust related content flooded every medium, but it was distant enough that I didn't really know anyone it had directly affected, so perhaps that lessens the effect of the book on me.

>> No.3464612

>>3464592
/co/mrades used to have an esoteric knowledge of international graphic lit, but the board has successfully been emptied, post-/new/, so you may be right about that.

>> No.3464619

>>3464592
Why does Brinkman give me feels with his surreal bullshit?

>> No.3464638

>>3464612
It's a real shame. I've been looking for a weird, vaguely surreal comic, where lots of people get naked, and I'm pretty sure there's a black knight at some point, and I think it opens (or at least has a part) with a person or multiple people walking through the desert in some sort of strange hasmat suits. I saw it in an image dump back during my earlier 4chan days, and nobody seems to know what it was.

/co/ seems to also have lost it's taste for animated shorts/animation in general to superhero/children's cartoons and shipping. The only way you can get an animation thread started is if you start with something entry level, like Plague Dogs, or Watership Down, or The Secret of NIMH, shit like that. The deepest you can really go is intro to Euroarthouse, like Fantastic Planet, and even that's only on good days.

>> No.3464641

If you're intrested in some really thought provoking comics read anything by Brian Vaughn, he has pumped out some amazing stories. Top three are Y, Saga, and Ex machina. From the story thats been told so far I think Saga is going to go down as one of the classics in comic book history

>> No.3464644

>>3464612
Comics are mostly happening in America. The problem is most comic fans are dumb and uncultured, /co/ is very hostile and confused when exposed to "artsy" shit.
The furthest I've seen the mass of the board accept is Black Hole, I'm sure a good part of that is in a David Lynch way, even though he's weird you're supposed to like him, everyone likes him, it's really weird, but, like, that's what's cool, I think.

It really pisses me off because contemporary art comix are really not that underground. /co/ just decided on Blankets over Kramer and stayed adamant that way ever since. I've found comic shops filled with Picturebox shit and independent in that vein in multiple cities, I wonder what the average /co/ normalfag thinks when accidentally stumbling into it.
Probably "2deep4u hipster fucks", but only after he's escaped back onto the sidewalk.

>> No.3464655
File: 901 KB, 900x1341, 7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3464644
And I know I'm being an asshole but I just really wish I could talk comics on an imageboard, and I was really disappointed when I realized how lame /co/ is. Anyways, this isn't /lit/.

>> No.3464859
File: 197 KB, 363x750, Aya and Razer Tezuka'd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3464638
I was thinking you might be talking about Les compagnons du crepuscule when you mentioned a knight but the hazmat suits and deserts makes me almost certain you're speaking of Moebius' Arzach.

And to be fair, Green Lantern TAS is legitimately amazing.

>> No.3464866

>>3464641
>Saga
>Thought provoking
>Classic

Are you serious? Saga has the worst dialogue ever written. It's like a 12 year old wrote just learning to swear wrote it. Y is good though.

THE comics author of the time is Mike Mignola.

>> No.3464883

>>3464655
>Michael Deforge post on 4chan

Give me a high five.

>> No.3464890
File: 49 KB, 243x259, everything happens for a reason.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3464883
>dat spotting deer

>> No.3464903
File: 592 KB, 955x2696, WTD-BB2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3464883
Yeah, he's a cool dude.

Do you like Alex Schubert? He has some stuff on what things do, I think.

>> No.3464907

>>3464903
Oh, cool, he has a new thing out.
And it looks likes he's being doing strips for VICE. Good for him.

I haven't been following comics for awhile.

>> No.3464961
File: 763 KB, 1312x1014, 1333082236351.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3464495

Oh, eat a dick.

>> No.3464978
File: 165 KB, 994x1528, 2578628-daredevilendofdays_1_cover[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I found the Guy Delisle graphic memoirs pretty fun.

Yeah, I guess I like graphic novels but I don't jump too much out of the obvious names.

I have been trying to get around Chris Ware's gimmicky Building Stories since last year.

>> No.3464999

>>3464644
>>3464655
I like your style. Got any recommendations? I've been out of comics for a while and don't know anyone who reads anything worthwhile, so I mostly have to pick things out of Fantagraphics.

>> No.3465020
File: 35 KB, 407x482, laughing spook.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3464495
>Stay generic
>recommends Batman: Year One
op should read maus and jimmy corrigan while he's at it

>> No.3465023

The final League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen had a really cool metanarrative going on about how Harry Potter sucks giant balls.

>> No.3465034
File: 116 KB, 423x670, 28_simps1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3464999
Well I haven't read any comics in months so I'm just looking at what's on my shelf but Portland contemporary series I'm a big fan of CF, get his Powr Mastrs series, Mickey Z's RAV is p cool too.
Really like Chippendale and Brinkman's stuff, so partial to fort thunder influence. Also love Jacob Ciocci's stuff (pic), Paper Rad with Ben Jones.
Mostly follow Picturebox's releases, Jonny Negron just released a book I wanted to get ahold of but can't afford. Kramer's Ergot 8 was very nice. Yokoyama's Travel is really cool, Japanese art manga, totally different than anything I've read.

Um, then Jim Woodring's Weathercraft, if you've never read Woodring, I highly recommend. His color stuff is also great too: Book of Frank. More similar to ZAP style underground, but not really. You should definitely get some of his stuff if you're not familiar.

I'm not a big fan of Fantagraphics stuff but Kevin Huezenga's Ganges series, from their Ignatz collection with the really nice large issues with french folds (though they were like $8 each), is really pretty great, more straightforward narrative.

Yeah, I mostly kept an eye on picturebox and a few blogs. I remember following this guy: http://seantcollins.com/
Pretty sure he had pretty solid taste.

>> No.3465250

The killing joke is pretty good. I like its ring cycle.
sage for not really /lit/.