[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 18 KB, 220x285, existenntialist philosphers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3435839 No.3435839[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Camus' The Plague, Sartre's No Exit, or Sartre's Nausea?
I need to write a term paper and I'm choosing one of these.

>> No.3435846

Were you forced to choose from those three, or...?

>> No.3435857

just drop out

>> No.3435867

no i wasn't forced to choose from these three, but I'm interested in them.

>> No.3435892

I can't imagine being this much of a helpless faggot.

'The Plague' is a lengthy novel narrated by a doctor after a town is quarantined off during a plague.

'No Exit' is a very short play (only one act) about three people in hell--which is like a hotel room without a bathroom. The premise is that the people will eventually torment each other better than any daemons can. It's from where Sartre's famous "hell is other people" line comes.

'Nausea' is an historian's journal entries of annoying existential angst.

Now, pick the one that appeals most to you. If you're a lazy faggot (which you seem to be) I'd suggest you go with 'No Exit'. Not only is it a short read, it's less convoluted, ideologically, than the other works.

>> No.3435894
File: 18 KB, 324x500, The Fall by Albert Camus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3435839
I wouldn't really describe The Plague as Camus' best book...The Stranger does a much better job of summarizing Absurdism if you want to stay with nonfiction. But the Plague is a good book nonetheless. Also, check out The Fall when you have a chance.

>> No.3435947

Definitely go with Nausea. Out of the three, Nausea seemed to me the most insightful and entertaining. There's a bunch of stuff you can dissect and derive from it.

>> No.3436138

any more helpful insight available?

>> No.3436152

>>3435947

That's right, excepto for the museum part it's an extraordinary book, but >>3435892 description fits perfectly.

>>3436138

> Steppenwolf - Herman Hesse. You won't regret.